What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

The Petroglyphs

petehowell

Well Known Member
I spent all week in the middle of Boston and Manhattan workin' for the Man, so this weekend, when the midwest rains finally quit, it was time to really get away.

On our trip to Pipestone 2 years ago, Andi and I heard about another historical site, the Jeffers Petroglyph Site in Southwest Minnesota. The time was right to make the trip!

I e-mailed the airport manager in Windom, MN to see if the they had a car, and he called back to say "yep - key are in the lockbox in the ladies room". So we headed to KANE mid morning and mounted up for the 110 NM flight to the southwest.

Smooth and cool above some puffies....
IMG_2508.JPG

40 minutes later we were on the ground at Windom and off to get some gas, and lunch in town. We found a surprisingly good Chinese place on the town square! The courthouses in these little towns are always pretty - make note of the red rock....
IMG_2512.JPG

Off to the site! It really is in the middle of nowhere - not quite NYC from 2 days earlier! The decorator is better, too!
IMG_2515.JPG

Petroglyph
Noun
A rock carving, esp. a prehistoric one

Here is Chuck, our tour guide, showing a hand carving using low angle light...
IMG_2517.JPG

Here are some depicting buffalo....
IMG_2519.JPG

This "trident" shows up several places on the site...
IMG_2520.JPG

A turtle.... Does that red rock look familiar?
IMG_2534.JPG

Bird, or 2 headed arrow.....
IMG_2540.JPG

This is called a "dot map" They have not figured out what it means, but they have figured out the big cracks in the rocks represent major rivers and the dots lead to them!
IMG_2544.JPG

Lastly, a thunderbird with heart, one of my favorites....
IMG_2547.JPG

We spent 2.5 hrs at the site, then headed back to Windom for the 40 min flight home. Andi loves the RV when we do trips like this! 6 hrs in the car or 80 mins in the RV...... no contest!

Last edited:
Thanks Pete. Always enjoy your pics.

My friends think building/ owning an airplane is expensive. I like to think of it as "expansive" as it really does open the weekend window of opportunity....even if we aren't all Valds and Rosie types.

When I grow up I will be like Pete. Tons of adventures and all are different I admire your inventiveness Pete! :)

Back