What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

The RV is already showing me a great time!

DougJ

Well Known Member
I just put my new-to-me RV-6 in a hangar at Fresno Chandler, (KFCH) but I have no tools or equipment out there yet. I started changing out the existing throttle and mixture controls after work yesterday and realized I didn't bring everything I needed from home. While scrounging for needed items I met Alan Buchner who has a hangar/museum right across from me. Great gentalman with an incredible aviation resume. We talked for a while as he showed me around his hangar and aircraft, and he helped me out with what I needed to progress on the work I was doing.

Later on he stopped by to see how I was doing, and it looked like I wouldn't finish since the bracket I made was going to need to be re-worked. He then asked if I wanted to go along for a short flight in his Waco QDC! I only tripped twice getting out of the hangar before he could change his mind. What a great experience, I even got a little "wheel" time before we went back to the airport. He was planning on going to Paso Robles for a gathering for the Javier Arango Aeroplane Collection this morning. While most of the twenty-some WW1 era flyable airplanes are kept elsewhere, there would be several there, plus a wide variety of other aircraft. Alan invited me to go, and I said I would if I got the RV together.

I took the bracket home, cut it up and welded it back together so the mixture cable would actually point at the mixture arm, and in the morning got her all buttoned back up. A bit of a late start, but I bounced over to KPRB and saw some great airplanes!

Sopwith Camel and Fokker F1

Fokker D VI

Sopwith Snipe

Beautiful work

Scratch built - ENGINES

A few of the WWII birds

RV parking, well, actually almost anything parking

I forgot my camera, so these are off my cell phone, and I only got pics of a few of the huge number of aircraft there. Hope you enjoy what little there is.

This little airplane has already introduced me to a bunch of great people and experiences and I've only had it two weeks!

Doug

Hi.

Could you make me a favor and make a few photos of the cockpit of that Fokker D. VI, please? :D I am preparing to build a scale model of that Hun and I can't find absolutely nothing on-line. And of course any more photos (fuselage, wings engine, gear etc.) are also welcomed.

Thank you!

Doug - these RVs are a gateway to almost any kind adventure you seek!

Nice seeking !

Last edited:
kirasier, unfortunately, this was back at the end of May when I first got my RV. I did take a photo of the cockpit of the D. VI, but it came out very poor as I was using my cellular phone.

I did find some links here that will help if you are able access them from your location.

This is an article is Air and Space about Mr. Arango's airplanes:
http://www.airspacemag.com/history-of-flight/mr-arangos-aeroplanes-3409154/

I do not have any contact information for these folks, but perhaps you could get some help for the Estrella Warbird museum there at Paso Robles, here's the link to the museum:
http://www.ewarbirds.org/

Good luck, and I hope you find what you need!

humptybump, this was the first place I took my RV after I brought it back to CA from Alabama. I've put about 90 hours on it since and it's just getting better and better!

Doug

Thank you!

Yes, of course I am able to access them, I have e-mailed them and asked for the photos and archives. Do you still have that low quality photo? Maybe it can be useful. Thank you so much for the article too as well!

bhassel - you mean RAF Museum or National Museum of USAF?

AF museum

Dear kirasier

I think the above post was talking about the Air Force museum in Dayton Ohio. They have a DR I for sure, and I think they may have a DR VI, I just can't remember.

The link to that site is: http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/

It is great museum for any airplane nut. I can't recommend it highly enough. If ever in the midwest, make sure you visit.

They do have an extensive group doing rebuilding, so it might be possible to contact them via email and see if they have any plans/pictures they can share.

If you don't get anywhere with them, drop me a pm. I am lucky enough to work at the Air Force Academy, and we have a fairly extensive book collection, I may be able to find some information for you.

All the best

Geoff

Hello!

Thank you! Yes, I have e-mailed them, I am waiting for the answer. Dr I is of course similar, but... maybe those two cockpits differed in some ways. D. VI (not Dr VI, it was biplane - doppeldecker) they do not have in the museum for sure, no one left to the modern times according to my knowledge, but maybe they have a replica and of course some archives, we will see.

regards

Al is a great guy. He gave me my PT-22 checkout at Chandler 15 years ago. He also did some engine work, installed a parking brake, and a com radio in my -22. He is a true craftsman and gentleman. Please convey my best regards.

Thank you!

Yes, of course I am able to access them, I have e-mailed them and asked for the photos and archives. Do you still have that low quality photo? Maybe it can be useful. Thank you so much for the article too as well!

bhassel - you mean RAF Museum or National Museum of USAF?

Sorry - As Geoff surmised The US AF Museum. I should have been a little more helpful! :)

Bob

Back