What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Chris Hand

scsmith

Well Known Member
Sad to report that Chris Hand, VAF handle = OneCharlieKilo, passed away this morning. I got an email from his wife, Kellie.

Chris was only 45.

There is a thread he started a few weeks ago under the "Northwest" forum asking for help in selling his RV-6A. He was in Bremerton, so hopefully someone in the Seattle-Arlington area can step up and help out Kellie with some difficult issues dealing with this transition.

Moderators: I wonder if that thread could/should be moved here to this forum? [ed. Link HERE. dr]

Last edited by a moderator:
Chris Hand posted this message on 5-22-13 (just a few days ago)

I read Mr. Hand's post after reading you announcement that he has passed away. I didn't know him but I feel the loss. Very sad story that should be connected.

Bob Axsom

Help requested, RV-6A Bremerton, WA area
Help I'm looking for is due to serious life threatening medical challenges I am facing. I'm looking to see if someone can recommend an experienced, trusted RV-6A pilot in my area that would be willing to work out my plane once in a while until I can get it sold, and possibly even find a trusted network here that could help my wife and son get a fair price for it if I don't make it long enough to get the plane sold myself (wife is going to need the money, I don't want to give it away in fire sale).

If there's a -6A qualified / experienced CFI to help transition my 19 year old PPL'd son, that would be even better to get him to the point he can really help my wife out with selling if I can't. He has a fair amount of unlogged RV time with me and close to 15 hours logged with a bunch of landings, but he's still low time (about 90 hours) and I haven't let him solo it so he's not really up to demoing and he's so busy with college (UW) and Air Force ROTC activities that he has a hard time getting to the hangar.

I'm a 45 year old (tomorrow) active duty Navy officer with 26 and half years service so far, prior enlisted nuclear power electrician, former submarine officer, and current engineering duty officer. I was relieved from major command due to my illness but so far still on active duty as we fight and pray for a miracle.

I've been involved in RVs and building since 1994, starting my build in 1996. Educational background is Navy Electricians Mate electrical background made use of during electrical system and panel build, Bach degree in mechanical engineering from U of Washington, and Masters in Computer Science from Naval Postgraduate School. So I've only done a single build, but I've always been a hands-on, attention to detail guy with plenty of understanding on the systems - it's a quality build.

The add for my plane is in VAF classifieds thread

If you're in the area, have a reasonable amount of RV-6A/7A experience, and think you can help, please drop me a line to my personal email: chris "at" ckhand.com

I recognize for anybody willing to help, we'd have to work out whatever is required to keep it legal and add you to my named insured. Not sure exactly yet what that needs to be.

In any case, thanks for taking a look, and may you all continue to enjoy good health and flying.

Best regards,

Chris Hand
http://rv6aproject.ckhand.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Very sad

Awful story, sounds like he will leave a very big hole in a lot of peoples lives.

Sad story. Wishing his wife and son the best as they have to move forward. Hope the plane sells. Makes you just want to go fly and enjoy your life while you can...you never know.

I met him at one of the builder BBQs. He was a very nice man. There's a lot to learn by the holes in our hearts left by the passing of people we think we hardly knew. We knew each other better than we think. We are threads in the fabric that makes up the RV community. Every thread is important.

Hopefully, there's a memorial fund somewhere and we can be generous.

PostFirstFlightPhoto(ChrisAndKel).JPG

Last edited:
I heard about this last night. Very, very sad.

Chris was a member of our EAA 338 chapter when he lived in the Bay Area. He completed his first flight while a member of our chapter back in 2008 after many years (I believe more than a decade) of building and many cross country moves. I believe he moved his project via U-Haul at least 3 times across the country due to his work in the US Navy.

Chris was very helpful in getting me ready for my first flight last year. He very generously took me up a few times in his very nice RV-6A and let me fly from the right seat. He wasn?t a flight instructor but he could have been one.

He also gave me a lot of tips on how to deal with our less than responsive local FSDO rep. Chris even supplied me with the FSDO?s super-secret cell phone number but he swore me to disavow any knowledge of the source of this information! This information proved to be quite valuable!!

Chris? fight with cancer started a long time ago but, although it claimed his vision in one eye, he still managed to finish and fly his plane!

It was very obvious to me that his family was very important to him. This was also apparent in the last email exchange I had with him last week. He has a very strong family unit and my heart goes out to them.

Yesterday, the world lost one of the good guys.

So very Sad

I never met him, but from his post, it seemed like this was something that may have caught him by surprise. It also seemed, by his post, that he was handling it with grace and dignity and doing what I can only hope I would do...thinking of his wife and family. I pray that they find peace, tranquility, and acceptance, knowing that there is a plan that we are not aware of...knowing that he is not in pain, and that he is in a much better place. His family remains in my prayers. Hopefully they will celebrate his life and that will alleviate some of their pain.

Prayers for Chris' family

This fall it will 40 years since my dad died of cancer after a 10-month struggle. He was 45 and I was 22. I'll be praying for Chris' wife and son. It's way to early in life to lose a husband and father. Hopefully there are some uncles in the area and some "RV-dads" to be there for this young man.

sudden passing

Truly a sad and shocking story reminding us all of our mortality. Much too young with everything to live for. Sincere condolences to his family.

Chris was a friend and hangar neighbor at KPWT. His sister is the wife of a man whose dad - Jim Blue -was my boss for 25 years at Boeing. We were very close, and during his last years, Chris's wife became a major care-giver. Jim's wife Jeanne-Ann died in February, and I joined Chris and his family at an at-home memorial for Jim and Jeanne-Ann in March. He and his son had gone flying that morning.

We talked several times since about his medical prognosis, and he was very upbeat. Chris had lost an eye to cancer and was flying under a LODA. And then, cancer was discovered in his good eye. He underwent cutting edge gamma ray knife (or some such) treatment in Texas at a unique facility. When he returned home, it looked very promising. And then, that horrible stuff started spreading uncontrollably. Very, very depressing. He figured he had about two months. It was shocking. He was working with Gerry Engle and some others at the airport trying to sell his airplane. We discussed various schemes - maybe even buying it as a group and then re-selling it later.

On Thursday, I was working on my airplane when Chris's sister Tracy and brother in law Jim stuck their head in the hangar. I was surprised - they were there to work on the airplane sale. I asked how Chris was doing, and they said he had passed taht morning. I almost passed out. A real kick in the gut.

Anyhow, there were a couple of airline pilots from Texas who had flown in and were looking it over. Don't know if the sale went through, but it looked very promising.

People sometimes comment about flying being "dangerous", and urge me to fly "carefully." I usually refer to the numerous fatal car crashes that fill the local news, and question whether dying after a bout with cancer or wasting away in an Alzheimer's home seem like better prospects.....

Bob Bogash
RV-12
N737G

To those interested, I was the guy at the airport and without any detail I'll just say that it was very emotional for all parties involved. As I was packing to come back to the area at a more appropriate time, the family called and really wanted me to hang around and still continue with the process. The following day I had the opportunity to spend the day with Chris's son, a remarkable young man pursuing flying as well. We were able to share needed humor, in light of the situation, evaluating the plane. Needless to say I was impressed with Chris's RV as were the mechanics and we were able to complete the transaction.
Being new to the RV world and home built, I am not familiar with common practice of third owners. I didn't think twice that when the time comes to sell , Justin and his family would be the first call I make.
Godspeed Chris

Mike

Mike,
I am glad you were able to make a deal work for Chris's plane. Though I only know Chris through his posts, getting his plane sold was a big concern for him. Best of luck with your new plane and I am sure if you have any questions about anything, people will be glad to help you out in memory of Chris.

I am so glad you posted the sale informatioin Mike

In this terrible situation I'm glad you got a good airplane and and helped the family at the same time.

Bob Axsom

OneCharlieKilo

Chris Hand was a good man and will be missed by many. His wonderful family indeed were important to him and always a first priority in his life. He was very determined to sell his RV so his wife did not have to deal with selling it, Kellie is pleased with the new owners.

Living across the street from Chris in Poulsbo, WA I had the opportunity to help him occasionally with his RV project. He was very proud to show off his daughters "artwork" that still resides inside the fuselage! It was Chris who introduced me to the RV aircraft and because of him I fly an RV-6 today.

I helped Chris load his RV into the U-Haul trailer for the last time for it's journey to South County Airport, excited that his 12+year project would soon take to the sky. The highlight of his RV flying was his journey to OSH with his son Justin. Chris passed on his passion for aviation to Justin giving him stick time in the C-140 and his RV. He was very pleased to tell me about Justin training in and passing his private pilot check ride in a Citabria!

You will be missed my friend, Godspeed Captain Hand.

Back