What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

So I'm an RV owner!

DougJ

Well Known Member
First of all, I have to say thanks to DR and all the contributors to this awesome forum. What a great source of information this place is!
I've been lurking around on here for well over a year without making a post, just learning a lot.

It's time to get on board. I'm just gonna throw it out there on this first post, skip it if you're not interested in the read.

I took first my flight lesson at 16, of course I couldn't afford it and went off to the Army at 18. Still in 30 years later. I did the helicopter thing, mostly in Chinooks, as an Instructor Pilot and Maintenance Test Pilot. In Nov 2001 I went to the Army Multi-engine FW course, then the C-23 AQC and I've been flying the C-23 Sherpa ever since. I've been an Instructor Pilot in it since 2006.

Before I went to flight school I was an Aircraft Structural Repairman, and I've wanted to build an RV for years, just never got going on it. I have all the standard excuses as to why I never got started, but you don't want to hear that. Some of that time was as a part-timer Guardsman, so I've been deep in the civil helicopter world as well.

On my last deployment I spent 6 or 7 months in Egypt, coming home in Feb 2012. One of the other pilots on that mission is building an RV-7, he is a member here as well. Through our conversations the long dormant bug bit again and I started scheming - I mean planning - on how I could do this. My current mission would require a side-by-side so the wife could eye-ball me at all times for her comfort, so with that in mind I began pricing kits and components, shopping kits in progress, working up spreadsheets to try to figure out if I could even afford it etc., etc. You all know the drill.

I even started to look at finished aircraft, and man were there some bargains out there. A lingering addiction to VAF and Barnstormers began, and I started shopping with more focused intent. I got some advise from a couple of good guys out there along the way.

One Sunday afternoon in mid April I landed at the end of a mission, turned on my phone, and got an email alert from Barnstormers about an RV-6. The add had posted that day and the airplane looked nice, a clean basic steam panel, O-320, Warnke wood prop, and being sold by the original builder. This would be a simple and inexpensive airplane to own, and the price was right. I emailed and left a voice message.

In the morning I sent a quick email with a link to the add to Rob Ray, who was providing some counsel in my search, and was prepared to do a pre-purchase for me should the need arise. As it turned out, Rob knows this builder and his airplane well, and gave it an instant thumbs up. Thanks Rob!

I contacted the owner, and we made the deal contingent upon inspection - which we agreed was going to have to be almost a month out. I had some gaps in my mission schedule over that time, and that was good because I had a lot to do.

You see, at this point in mid April I didn’t have the ASEL among the ratings on my pilot certificate! Of course this meant no TW endorsement or any RV time for the insurance company.

No worries! I had already (heh – already!) touched bases with the local flying club and knew they could meet my needs. I called an examiner the club was familiar with, and she was available on 1 May. I had previously talked with Mike Seager several times and figured at this point I would have to go elsewhere due to his schedule, but no! He had an opening 8 – 10 May.

The proposed schedule came together like so:

First COM ASEL training period, 17 Apr.
COM ASEL add-on checkride, 1 May.
Go on leave, 7 May.
Fly Alaska Air to Portland, 7 May.
Train with Mike, 8 – 10 May.
Fly to Montgomery, AL, 11 May.
Inspect airplane 12 May.
Fly back to Fresno, CA 13 -14 May or 14 – 15 May, airplane and WX dependent.
Leave ends 15 May.

That was the plan.

Worse case was fly out to Alabama to look the plane over and have to come back and get it when I was qualified.

Well, it all went according to plan. The owner/builder is a great guy, and he built a very nice little airplane. He’s also just finished a twelve year build on a lovely scratch built Wag-A-Bond.

Inspection - Very clean airplane!

I didn’t leave Alabama until the Tuesday the 14th due to a little issue with the RV, but I got very familiar with it on Sunday and Monday going through everything. I was in Fresno by 1200 on the 15th, and the plane did very well.

Day one of RV ownership, Demming NM.

I have a few things I need to change right away, and already got my first box of goodies from Vans. I’m removing the vernier throttle for a standard friction throttle, changing the basic push-pull mixture for a vernier control, and replacing the old style seatbelts and cables. I have a few squawks and some other wants, so there will be things to tinker with for a while, but it's very solid.

Took the wife for her first hop on Sunday, breakfast at San Luis Obispo. I even stopped by the "office" for a visit.

Fair warning, there will be some questions coming! Thanks to Rob Ray for his guidance, same for Rick Gray who kindly answered my questions, and thanks again to all of you for all the great info on this site! One of those bits of info was Jenny at NationAir, painless on the insurance.

Doug Jones

Last edited:
Welcome to the club. I just bought my first airplane (RV-4) last week and flew her home Sunday. It's a great feeling huh?

First I want to say thank you for your service!! We all owe you our freedom!

Welcome to RV world! I flew my Long-EZ out of SBP & SMX for 20 yrs, then built my RV-9A when I moved to Portland. Have to say that flying the RV made me fall in love with flying all over again!

Be careful getting to know the RV-6, have fun and God's Speed in your new travels.

Congratulations! Welcome to the fold and wow that's a beauty of a bird. Change what it takes to make her yours.....then fly the wings off it. Thanks for your service and sorry you couldn't get in the marines.

Come to Oshkosh! First beer is on me....and my other Army doggie helicopter jock, turned fixed wing and RV buddy. Seems a trend with you guys...indecisive, noncommittal.... ;-) Congrats again!

Welcome to VAF!

I've been lurking around on here for well over a year without making a post, just learning a lot.

It's time to get on board. I'm just gonna throw it out there on this first post,

Doug Jones

Doug,
welcome.gif
aboard the good ship VAF.

Wow, what a way to make a first post:D:D:D

I love the lines of the six with the small tail, you have a really nice example.

watermarked_89572778b19d3761fdce170aa0b7641d_zps67a7f91d.jpg

Congrats on the new bird.

And, you even figured out how to post photos:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Awesome first post...a pre-buy, buy, cross-country ferry home and a ride for the wife thrown in...plus pictures. sweet.

Welcome to the family:)

Best,

First post and you know how to post pictures? Good job, took me a year. Nice plane and welcome!

Doug, Congrats on the new -6. You and your wife will really enjoy it. Thanks for your service and most of all.... Welcome to the good ship VAF. Hope to see you at OSH some day.

ps I just got back from dawn patrol this morning..... great head-clearing machines :D:D

Very nice

I'm glad our RV discussions in Egypt led to this purchase. When are you headed up this way? I want to see it up close.

Welcome to the party

Doug, congrats on your new RV! If you like to fly, you are going to have the time of your life with this airplane. The RVs are truly magic carpets. Looks like you got yourself a nice one. (I think Army helicopter pilots are taking over -- my hangar neighbor and EAA Chapter president are both Army helicopters pilots) Regards, Bill

Welcome to the fold, Doug! If you run out of places to go up your part of the state, I'm only 45 minutes south at RV speeds. You're welcome any time!

Doug,
Congratulation on your find a beautiful RV6, and like others, THANK YOU for
your SERVICE to enable us to enjoy the Freedoms to fly, Pray and all that we take for granted.

A great Post and a great beginning here on the VAF. We all look forward to meeting.

Smilin' Jack Hunt

Thanks for the warm welcome gents, I appreciate it!

Scott, I'll get up there as soon as our schedules match. This is all your fault so you deserve a good look / ride / whatever ASAP.

ColoRv, I didn't know they let Marines in here! I suppose I can stick around anyway. I'll take you up on the beer offer some day. I've had a Marine bought beer or two before, and they taste pretty good. It was usually for something like they have all their 53's break down and we go in with a Chinook and pluck their cold, tired carcasses off a mountain somewhere... :)

I'm pleased with the airplanes performance so far, it's definately meeting my expectations. It's quite a shift from the heavy controls and ponderous response of the C-23!

Doug

It's quite a shift from the heavy controls and ponderous response of the C-23!

Is that really a C-23 or the box it came in? :) Hard to believe I flew one (SD330) 34 yrs ago.

How do you like your Warnke prop? That was Bernie's unique high aspect design. Great prop builder and a terrific guy. Welcome aboard.

Nice post

If you ever decide to change out that Warnke
Put me at the top of the list!
Hope you have great times with her~~~
Mike

Welcome to the club

Welcome home Doug. Your post sounds a lot like when I bought my 1st RV6. Treat her kindly and enjoy. Be sure to read my article on speed mods, I think you will garner a lot of info there.

Is that really a C-23 or the box it came in? :) Hard to believe I flew one (SD330) 34 yrs ago.

How do you like your Warnke prop? That was Bernie's unique high aspect design. Great prop builder and a terrific guy. Welcome aboard.

These are actually modified SD360-200's. They chopped off the tail and swapped it out so we can have the cargo ramp, then took a 3ft plug out from in front of the wing to balance it...

If you ever decide to change out that Warnke
Put me at the top of the list!
Hope you have great times with her~~~
Mike

I have very little experience with fixed pitch props, but it seems to work quite well. The only thing I could see swapping it out for is a Catto.

Welcome home Doug. Your post sounds a lot like when I bought my 1st RV6. Treat her kindly and enjoy. Be sure to read my article on speed mods, I think you will garner a lot of info there.

Got a link to it? Sounds like an interesting read!

Back