What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Today was a good day!

Brantel

Well Known Member
Before we started giving Young Eagle rides today, I decided to take a hop over to 0VG to get some fuel. I hit the sky early right after updating my G3X system to version 8.0 and it was clear and smooth! Dead calm air!

On the way back, I decided to run her flat out and cranked out 180kts TAS @ 3500ft running 2710rpm.

Not bad for an airplane built in my basement garage!

Last edited:
351j1oo.png

2z8z09d.png

Last edited:
High so high that my plane does not get to see this speed very often and not for very long!

Right about 16 if I recall correctly.

High so high that my plane does not get to see this speed very often and not for very long!

Right about 16 if I recall correctly.

Brian, Sounds about right for the fuel burn. I have the same config as you and I think I burn about 17-18 WOT 2700 rpm around 3500'. That's exactly why I choose to cruise at 160kts burning 8.5 at 8000' most of the time. Almost as fast and half the burn rate. Amazing planes.

Go up to 11500 and do it again. You'll be able to lean it out and drop that fuel burn significantly and still go fast. Although closer to the ground just feels cool.

Go up to 11500 and do it again. You'll be able to lean it out and drop that fuel burn significantly and still go fast. Although closer to the ground just feels cool.

I was skimming the tops of some ridges during this run. Very cool speed sensation!

Brantel I have Just the thing for you

Well two things actually - You have a very fast airplane - consider:

1 - The AirVenture Cup Race on July 28 from Mount Vernon, Illinois to Oshkosh and the SARL race at Tullahoma, TN on September 28, 2013. This will be the first time the race has started there so no one will be overly familiar but Eric Whyte and his jolly band of volunteers always put together a good program stasrting with registration, dinner and briefing on Saturday (7-27) an update and the race folloed by the awards banquet on Sunday night in Oshkosh (Went's Marina usually - Fond Du Lac I think).

2 - The Tullahoma race Last year the ceiling was a bit of a problem and the race was delayed a few hours. When it did go I experienced some of the ridge skimming you talked about. Squeeeeeze.

Bob Axsom

Bob,

I am afraid that if I ever participate in any races, I will be hooked. Something tells me that it would be easy to get addicted! Not sure I have room on my hobby list for another passion!

Back