What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

First real trip in the 8 - the magic carpet lives

selhardt

Well Known Member
Spring has been endlessly delayed in Minneapolis.
Between my first flight last September and this spring (yet to arrive really) it has been really a challenge to keep flying and finish Phase I.

That was done a few weeks ago and we have been anxious to get on with the aviation adventuring. Last weekend, my wife and I drove (I know) to Mount Rushmore because the weather was horrible and forecast to be horrible and well we had these reservations....

Fast forward a week - the next destination is Mackinac Island, but wait - again only a single VFR day in a row coinciding with the long weekend. BUT as it turns out, if you are up for it. Mackinac Island is a 394 NM day-trip from Minneapolis and that is what we did.

efjtdg.jpg

Wheels up from KFCM at 7:30, shortly after the tower opened for the day, skirt the southern edge of the Minneapolis class B and we are on the way!

My front office is well furnished and with the autopilot on, leaned to 50 LOP and 5500 feet, we were making 155Kts on the ground and 7 GPH (headwind - ugh). tried up and down, but 5500 seemed to be the best.

aubksy.jpg

First stop - Iron Mountain KIMT for some leg stretching and fuel. A very nice, hospitable airport with friendly folk and good coffee.

The terrain in this area of Michigan is heavily forested - higher felt better as we skirted the northern edge of lake Michigan.

aujjno.jpg

We were anxious to turn sought to Mackinac, but felt better mostly over land than water.

The winds were light 90 degrees to the runway and we made a high circuit over the island, descending to land on runway 08. It feels like the ocean to us prairie locked midwesterners.

5ofew6.jpg

The airport on Mackinac is a state park and looks brand new. It is modern, clean and friendly with a 10.50 fee to spend the day. Happy to pay it.

6gwml3.jpg

There is a taxi phone on the wall if you want a horse-drawn taxi ride to town, but we chose to walk the 1.7 miles. The forest is gorgeous, with trillium and trout lilies in bloom and smells of very fresh air and pine, well and horse poop, but that is the price paid for an island with no cars!

34j2gl4.jpg

The half-hour walk to the city takes you past horse stables, a one-room police department and the Grand Hotel with horse-drawn everything clipping and clopping by every few minutes. We were mesmerized by the the the things going by on horse carts - furniture, trash, a treadmill. We dubbed the sound that of the the famous roman emperor clippicus-cloppicus.

The national pastime of Mackinac seems to be fudge. I'm not sure I get this but on any given corner 3 of the four businesses might be fudge related and the sight line allows views of 5 or 6 more! It is delicious and we brought some home.

We toured Fort Mackinac, walked main street from end to end and generally scoped out the lay of the land for a more extended trip later.

5oa4iw.jpg

2w4ffnk.jpg

l9qc2.jpg

2nbr0ih.jpg

Reverse the process - up the hill, wheels up and 2:40 minutes later, we are home in Minneapolis, dodging light rain showers on the radar display and into KFCM.

A magic carpet indeed....

Bang, buck, sand, paint countersink - whatever it takes...

Great write-up!

Mackinac Island if my wife's first requested stop when the -10 is done. I can't wait!

Great trip Scott!

We wanted to stop at Mackinac on the way home from Osh last summer, but the weather didn't work for us.

It's on the destination list.

Been to Mackinac many times ...

If you can swing it, stay on the island overnight. All the Fudgies (the local's name for tourists) clear off the island and it gets quiet and even more magical. There's a whole different pace after 5 or 6 PM. Then it really does feel like island living. :D

Mackinac Island

Having been a Michigander (or Michiganian) my entire life, yeah, Mackinac Island is about the fudge. Like Pavlov's dog, my wife salivates when she hears the words Mackinac Island. She will shop for fudge no differently than shopping for a new dress. Ladies, you know what I mean. All kidding aside, Mackinac Island is probably the most beautiful area of the State of Michigan. We go there every few years for a day or two for a getaway that is hard to beat. The airport is great as are the people of the island. Travel is not fast, horses being the main mode of transportation. You have to keep one eye on the ground and one on your direction of travel to avoid any "exhaust" piles. The only motorized equipment on the island is fire and rescue equipment. Tourism is light before school lets out for the summer or after Labor Day if you do not like large crowds.

Take Care and Fly Safe,

Spent about a dozen summers on the island and still have family living there!

Agree with everything said above and agree you should plan an extended stay, at least two nights. Everything changes after dark.

I get home sick everytime the island gets written about, especially when photos are posted. :). Please keep posting photos, makes me work harder flying off phase one!

Great write up. It's on my to-do list, and my wife's ever since we saw the movie "Somewhere in Time".

Nice Paint !!
Semper Fi

Last edited:
As we were killing time it was interesting for my wife and I to watch the UPS guy pull up to a storefront, pull his two wheel dolly off the back of his wagon and make his delivery. Delivery complete he climbed back up and his horse team and wagon left for the next delivery.

JimS

Fantastic trip and photos. Beautiful area, I love the clear water over the base leg turn, reminds me of my home lake. Gorgeous "Magic Carpet" RV8 too!

Back