What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cross Country Fun….NY

GLPalinkas

Well Known Member
Cross Country Fun?.ny

Cross Country Fun?.ny .... Well, my version.

My father-in-law just had surgery again last week in Georgia. My live-in elderly mom is visiting my brother.

So my wife says, fly me up to see dad and mom in Georgia for a week. Well, OK honey, if you Insist :D:D:D

We leave Venice yesterday at 0745 and arrive at Burke Co.Augusta area of Georgia at 1000 hrs. Cool. 2.3 hour flight beats an 8 hour drive.

Now the plot thickens?.

This morning was overcast with low fog preventing an early departure from Augusta to Venice. I want to get home before Florida's afternoon thunder bumpers start up.

Launched about 11am and refueled at Waycross. Low clouds and rain building everywhere. I decide to go high. (Scattered with lots of outs. No stranded on top stuff for me) I found 12.5K was exactly what I needed to stay above the early builds and was cruising along with Flight Following fat and happy.

Then Bam, a loud, muffled popping noise. Hmmm, engine instruments OK. Engine sounds great. Cruising along at 170kts and not even a hiccup. Then another Bam. And another?. 6-7 of those every few minutes. I thought, well, must be a backfire beating the underside of the fuselage.

I continue to Venice and land uneventfully. What were those noises. I started to pull things out of the back of the plane,

While I was in Georgia last year, I had bought a bag of potato chips. New to me, Lay's Kettle Cooked Sharp Cheddar flavor. I loved them (Wasn't on the diet then)

Yesterday I went to Augusta Walmart and bought a bunch of bags of the Sharp Cheddar. I'm in heaven.

While unloading the baggage area, I find that every single Lay's Potato Chip bag has burst at the seams?.. The altitude had popped them like a ballon. Loudly.

It never crossed my mind that it might have been the Lay's bags?? Oh well. Back off the diet for a few days?.. and now, pass the chips !!

And yes, I called my wife and related the story. She is probably still laughing at me.

Wife says I'm a fanatic. I tried everywhere to find them locally. Lots of other flavors but the Sharp Cheddar is not available in Southwest Florida. Believe me, I tried. Checked Lay's website. No joy.

Keep pounding them rivets?.. and then let your spouse decide when they want to go somewhere. :)

Photos of launching from Venice, enroute past Tampa, arrived Burke County, Augusta, Georgia..... and the storm last night. (Needed to re-tie the RV, got worried)

68xxlh.png

Going low wasn't going to get me home unless I dodged a million thunderstorms so I went high. 12.5K got me over and around the building storms. Last photo, the culprit. Bam..... was the bags popping under altitude pressure. Check out the top seals.

xrh49.png

Last edited:
You were 24 miles east of me. I'm at the next airport west...2J3. Next time by, I can hangar your airplane.

Best,

Gary, ok, maybe your Dietitian is trying to tell you something. Pop,pop,pop,pop,pop. Pops. :eek:

You were 24 miles east of me. I'm at the next airport west...2J3. Next time by, I can hangar your airplane.

Best,

Thanks Pierre. I missed you at Sun n Fun this year. Next trip to the in-laws I'll check in with you. Didn't know you were that close. I'll bet you know the AirTractor guys at Burke.

Turbo, so far, after two months dieting, I can carry 2 more gallons of fuel. :D:D

Yep

Yeah, we were very busy spraying wheat during Sun 'n Fun...can't leave when the cash register is ringing off the wall :)

I know Robbie McMillan ...old time friend of mine.

Best,

A thriller

This trip report was such a delghtful reading for me. In it there were all the customary and expected RV related trips, pictures and descriptions. And there was a plus! I cringed when read that at 12,5 K you heard a bam! Ouch!

Congratulations on the cool head and the thrilling writing skills.
Thank you very much for the piece.
Gregg

PS Your RV is exactly like the one I dream about: a-6, slider, o-360 and fixed sensenich. And I love the colors, too!

Last edited:
Bon Appetite'!

Hey Gary....dip them in a little ketchup....yummmmmm! Unfortunately I have a rare food disease.....when I eat any kind of food it causes my stomach to swell...the more I eat the more my stomach swells!!!!:D:eek:

NY?

You tricked me with the thread title Gary. I thought you came to us unnoticed :D

The radar picture looked the same.

This trip report was such a delghtful reading for me. In it there were all the customary and expected RV related trips, pictures and descriptions. And there was a plus! I cringed when read that at 12,5 K you heard a bam! Ouch!

Congratulations on the cool head and the thrilling writing skills.
Thank you very much for the piece.
Gregg

PS Your RV is exactly like the one I dream about: a-6, slider, o-360 and fixed sensenich. And I love the colors, too!

Greg, Thanks for the kind words but stop dreaming and get to work on an RV project. :) I see you are pushing around a B737 so you must have some time off to build. I see in the VAF White Pages that there are some builders/flyers in Brazil.

Bob, I had the same disease until I started my diet. It's on hold until I finish off a few more bags of "recently opened" chips.

Vlad, I realized after I posted the Fun...NY that someone may not make the connection to funny. I have changed the title to lower case. But that doesn't mean I won't make a pre-dawn patrol flight your way to scout the neighborhood. Maybe in a couple weeks if the stars align. Ohio/Vermont/Maine and maybe NJ :D:D

Back