What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tall pilot building tips?

SgtZim

Well Known Member
I just stumbled into the issue of where to located the front seat hinge on the floor. I have read some threads about this - locating the hinge aft is good for leg room and solves the issue of the top of the front seat almost passing under the seat support, but it causes interference with the aft stick.

Someone posted that the stick interference can be solved with purchase of an RV-4 aft stick (is bent) and clipping it some - planning on doing this.

Any other tips from you vertically gifted folks? :)

Any other tips from you vertically gifted folks? :)

How tall are you, and have you sat in an RV-8?

I'm 6'4", long bodied. Used the "Tall pilot option" that moves the seat back together with a bit thinner cushion than most. Left the seat hinge in the standard kit position. Have to duck a bit to close the canopy, but plenty of room once it is closed. Knees just pass under the panel.

How tall are you, and have you sat in an RV-8?

I'm the same height - tried on some of the other RVs but not an 8. I sat in a 4 many years ago and figured if I can squeeze in a 4, an 8 should be twice as roomy.

I just posted a picture (on facebook) of my seat top barely contacting the brace if I were to use the standard hinge location. I'm in the process of installing the hinge at the next row aft on the seat floor.

Back