VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 05-07-2017, 06:56 AM

Gusty conditions= small rudder inputs (happy feet) with differential braking. Never let pedals get to full deflection. Come to think of it.....same in calm conditions.
Chattanooga, Tn
Dues Paid

Last edited by tracy : 05-07-2017 at 06:59 AM.
Old 05-07-2017, 01:40 PM

Default Truth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhi View Post
It is more "process than art"
I'm following thie thread with interest because "process" has been the way it's been for me for the last 2.5 years with my Lancair. I started landing very conservatively at 85 Kts...then 8O Kts...then 78 Kts. I would always "fly it down to the ground" with a little power rather than landing on the mains first with the nose up. My goal has been NOT to break the airplane that I worked so long on. The last thing I want to do is drop it in from 24" and see the gear come up through the top of the wing.

I don't know what I did differently the other day, but somehow I made a Cessna-style landing where I kept pulling the nose up until she finally set down gently on the mains. The wheels didn't kiss the asphalt until 60 KIAS - well below my normal 70 KIAS touchdown speed and also the dirty stall speed in my airplane. My AoA was going off in my headset. I need to see if I can pull that off again reliably because I sure don't have the short field capability that you RV guys have. My shortest landing so far has been 2,500'.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rpsqbo77bq...20Kts.mp4?dl=0
Old 05-08-2017, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopercod View Post
I'm following thie thread with interest because "process" has been the way it's been for me for the last 2.5 years with my Lancair. I started landing very conservatively at 85 Kts...then 8O Kts...then 78 Kts. I would always "fly it down to the ground" with a little power rather than landing on the mains first with the nose up. My goal has been NOT to break the airplane that I worked so long on. The last thing I want to do is drop it in from 24" and see the gear come up through the top of the wing.

I don't know what I did differently the other day, but somehow I made a Cessna-style landing where I kept pulling the nose up until she finally set down gently on the mains. The wheels didn't kiss the asphalt until 60 KIAS - well below my normal 70 KIAS touchdown speed and also the dirty stall speed in my airplane. My AoA was going off in my headset. I need to see if I can pull that off again reliably because I sure don't have the short field capability that you RV guys have. My shortest landing so far has been 2,500'.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rpsqbo77bq...20Kts.mp4?dl=0
Have a good friend flying Lancair 360, he needs more runway all the time due to nature of the airplane. It will never be an RV and RV will never be Lancair, he cruises on less fuel, has been on my wing to prove it.

His CS prop helps a lot in this case.
RV-7A...Sold #70374
The RV-8...#83261 flying as of 6/16/2014
RV-3 ....fan

I'm in, dues paid 2017 This place is worth it!
Old 05-08-2017, 08:50 AM

Went flying yesterday with wind less than 15 gusting to 25 at 70 degrees.

Made 5 good landings including an easy one on grass, grass makes a big difference. Every airport should have a grass runway.
RV-7A...Sold #70374
The RV-8...#83261 flying as of 6/16/2014
RV-3 ....fan

I'm in, dues paid 2017 This place is worth it!
Old 05-08-2017, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Every airport should have a grass runway.
I tried to get our airport manager to give us a grass strip. They tore up one of our old runways and turned it back into open grass land. All thats needed is to smooth it out and keep it mowed. The airport manager said she wouldn't do it because it had to get FAA approval and it was too much red tape.
KOCH Nacogdoches