What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Air filter installation

8 Builder

I am having trouble visualizing how the filter is held in place at the left air ramp. The instructions say that the filter slips under the forward lip, (goes under the edge of),the most forward lip of the inlet floor. This I can see, since I will be re-fabricating that edge due to the fact that I didn't have the foresight to leave it full dimension and cut it to fit the cowl earlier. My question is; Does the ramp get trimmed at all other edges so that the filter can drop in from the top and is held there by the VA-132-1C & D
or does it get held in between the ramp and the VA-132 1A filter retainers. I have looked at so many installation pictures that I am going cross-eyed.
Thanks' Rich

The filter sits below the ramp and held in place by sitting partially inserted in the fiberglass induction tube. Some modifications might be needed to one or more of the pieces as no two are probably mounted exactly the same.

Thanks for the response Larry. I know it sits below the air ramp but how many sides of the air ramp extend over, (on top of),the rubber edge that is part of the air filter? Except for the front edge; can the filter be dropped in from the top?
Thanks, Rich

Mine and most I've seen, all 4 sides extend over. I don't see the black seal of the filter when looking at the ramp.

I don't have a picture here to share but I'll bet there are some builder sights with great picture examples to look at.

If I go to the port tomorrow I will take a picture and post it if that will help.

I see that the next two posts address this very well so I won't worry about another picture, it would look similar to the one below. :)

Last edited:
can come in from the top or the bottom

The plans seem to show that you can install the air filter from the top. I didn't find that this worked very well for me, so I have to remove the snorkel to install my filter. I'm really happy with the way it turned out, but I might regret not being able to remove the filter without removing the cowl and snorkel. I justify it by saying that it's probably better to remove the cowl more often to do a deeper inspection than making it very convenient to not remove the cowl.

I don't have a good pic of it competed, but I do have some here that might help. Click on the image for more photos. If these do not help, let me know and I'll try to get more photos.

Box sides.

I think you will find that the frame that goes up against the bottom of the baffle in your picture will hold the filter in that frame. You will end up riveting that frame to the bottom of that baffle peace and trim to fit the box opening for the filter to go down into the frame from the top side. You will need to make some hold down strips for both sides of the filter that will have nut plates under the installation of the frame so you can screw those hold down strips in place to trap the filter from coming up and out of that frame. On ours you slide the back edge of the filter under the overhang of the baffle you leave to cover that back part of the frame box. Then screw the two hold down strips onto each side to hold the two sides of the filter in place. The front edge of ours is held down on ours by a separate cover peace we made to help hold the filter down. I don't think there is a front edge hold down in the plans as some of this installation is up to your needs and how you fit this all together, your engine type, size an so on. Hope this helps, but some of these things you just have to engineer for yourself. Yours, R.E.A. III #80888

Filter

Thanks Robert. I finally decided to cut the air ramp so that the filter will just drop in from the top onto the filter supports. I, like more than a few before me, cut the forward ramp edge to fit the cowl before I knew that would screw up the filter/snorkel installation:eek:
The outer edge of the air ramp was also minimized to get the vertical left baffle close to the cowl nostril. Vans really needs to put a bold print note at the beginning of the baffle instructions to avoid this happening to anyone installing the snorkel!!! Thanks again to all responders. It all helps.

Rich

Back