What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Van's ADAHRS Mounting Bracket

Lizard Lips

I feel really stupid but I am at a total loss on how to install the Dynon SV-ADAHRS-200 using the wing mounting bracket provided in Van's wing kit. Clearly the -200 is supposed to slide into the bracket and be held in place by the clip?? but the bracket is only 2-3/4" deep and the ADAHRS is almost 5" deep when you include the 9-pin connector on the back. The -200 then fits so loosely in the mount that it is sure to bounce around all over the place.

I'm probably looking at this all wrong and the solution is probably embarrassingly simple but I am at my witt's end. Does anyone have any suggestions or, hopefully, any pictures of their installation?

Joe
Longview, Texas

RV-14-A Fuse ~80% Engine and prop mounted
Wings ? working on wiring and ADAHRS
Arion Lightning LS-1 Flying regularly
2019 Dues Paid

Yep - the Dynon ADHARS module just slides in and is then held in place by the spring clip. Dynon also sells an adapter plate so you can stack the second ADHARS module on top of the first - that just slides in.

You will figure it out, just keep at it.

Carl

Use your crimping pliers on the side rails till it slides in with a firm fit. The instructions point this out but don't explain why. Cleverly designed bracket. 👍

I'll keep trying but I don't see how the clip can possibly apply enough pressure on the -200 to keep it in place, much less keep it from moving around. I can only slide it in the bracket about half way before the 9-pin connector hits the back of the bracket assembly. Did I mention that this is a QB wing? Maybe someone did not fabricate the bracket correctly at Van's. :( :confused:

Joe
Longview, Texas

The clip is there to hold it in as a catch. Chapter 20 pg 03 might be worth a check Joe.

I'm also at this point in my build, and I must admit that I was scratching my head for a bit too. My wings are installed, so I was having a tough time visualizing how the ADAHRS fits in the bracket. At first, I thought that the clip was where the box fit. But, after some feeling around, I felt the brackets where the ADAHRS slides in, which is above the clip. It was so obvious once I figured it out, it seems none of the instructions mention it.

The clip is there to hold it in as a catch. Chapter 20 pg 03 might be worth a check Joe.

I've studied this drawing until I'm blue in the face and still do not see how this little clip can apply enough pressure on the ADAHRS to hold it securely. Inserting the -200 in the bracket, the 9-pin connector on the back hits the back of the bracket after only about 1-1/2" has been inserted. The other 3" or so just flops around outside the bracket. I could hold it in tighter with a string or rubber band!

I've been working on this ADAHRS installation for 2-1/2 days now with absolutely zero progress.

Joe
Longview, Texas

I'm curious if you fluted the W-00012C retainers. My ADAHRS slides in, but it takes some good pushes (so I could have been slightly less aggressive with fluting). In my case, I'm not worried about the unit sliding out of the bracket.

I'm curious if you fluted the W-00012C retainers. My ADAHRS slides in, but it takes some good pushes (so I could have been slightly less aggressive with fluting). In my case, I'm not worried about the unit sliding out of the bracket.

I have not fluted anything on this mounting bracket. Since this is a Quick Build wing and the bracket was installed by Van's I have not done anything to it. I will go back to my shop and try to determine how I will be able to flute W-00012C since it has already been installed.
Joe
Longview, Texas

ADAHRS bracket

Hi Joe:

I have been following the discussion and have a question.. you mention that the D-sub connector hits before the ADAHRS slides all the way in.. Have you tried inserting without the connector attached? As ?salto? indicated the clip should not be putting pressure on the unit - it should just pop up (after the unit is completely inserted) to prevent the unit from sliding out. It sounds like something is preventing complete insertion into the bracket.
I wonder if W-00012A plate could be installed upside down. Otherwise I don?t think there should be anything behind interfering with the D-Sub. If you could attach a photo of the bracket as is now, we might be able to figure it out.

SUCCESS !!!!

Finally! Engage brain before opening mouth. Cody's pictures and Byron's comments caused me to go back to the shop and take another look. Van's had installed the bracket properly and had fluted it correctly. I was trying to insert the -200 above the bracket, next to the bottom wing skin.
Slid the ADAHRS-200 into the bracket and, with a little persuasion, got it in the correct position. It's not going to fall out, I can guarantee that. :D

I'm embarrassed that I was so stupid, but that's what these forums are all about … getting help from others, even if all they do is get your mind in perspective. :eek: My thanks to all who offered help and assistance. It means a lot to me.

Joe

Longview, Texas

RV-14A Fuse about 85% complete … engine and prop mounted
Wings 90%
Arion Lightning LS-1 Flying regularly

I survived SLOSHKOSH 2019 and Ripen/Fisk 2018

Last edited:
Back