What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Silent Hektik Voltage Regulator

tomkk

Well Known Member
I just installed a SH VR. I've read about the stepping nature of this VR getting to max voltage. Mine started at around 12.7v. After 1/2 hr it was up to 13.6 and 13.8 after an hour.

I was expecting something like 14.0v or so. For those of you that have installed the SH VR, what voltages are you seeing?

Tom -

There are two versions of the Silent Hektik regulator that are commonly used on Rotax installations. The older style is the F4112 and it has a steady non-stepping output that is below 14 volts. The newer regulator is the F4118 and it is the stepping version which is better suited for AGM batteries and has an output a little above 14 volts.

I have the newer F4118 version installed in my RV-12 which now has approximately 50 hours on it. As previously mentioned, the voltage steps slowly and will eventually settle in around 14.1 or 14.2 volts.

Happy flying,

Last edited:
SH regulator

My regulator shows max 13.9, But, I keep a charge on in the hangar and I m in Fl and flights are usually 1 hr or less. Does start out charging slowly, appears yours is normal ops. I m happy with mine! ENJOY Ben

Tom -

There are two versions of the Silent Hektik regulator that are commonly used on Rotax installations. The older style is the F4112 and it has a steady non-stepping output that is below 14 volts. The newer regulator is the F4118 and it is the stepping version which is better suited for AGM batteries and has an output a little above 14 volts.

I have the newer F4118 version installed in my RV-12 which now has approximately 50 hours on it. As previously mentioned, the voltage steps slowly and will eventually settle in around 14.1 or 14.2 volts.

Happy flying,

OK, thanks. There's apparently one later than the F4118 - mine is a F4122. I looked at the stepping curve on their website and it looks like I got to step 4. Might just take a bit longer to get to the higher voltage.

Sounds like mine is operating pretty normally ...

There's apparently one later than the F4118 - mine is a F4122.

Tom, Thanks for pointing that out. My SH regulator is working so well I have not needed to research regulators any more .... did not know there were newer models from SH. After a fast look at the SH web site, looks like the F4122 is mostly the same as the F4118 but has an added provision for a flashing over-temp warning light.

Back