What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Noob question about long/short gear

sblack

Well Known Member
I see people referring to long and short gear on rv4s. Is this a factory option? Or something that evolved over time or is it a mod that people do?

Thanks

Scott Black
Montreal

No, not an option, the design was changed (I think in the 90s) to increase the length of the gear by a few inches. Generally the long gear is seen as more desirable, but there's nothing wrong with the short gear. To switch you will need to buy a new engine mount as well as the gear legs. Apart from new brake lines and gear leg fairings most other things should be common.

Pete

Welcome to VAF!

Scott-------been a member for almost 5 years, and first post...............?

Welcome aboard:D

Scott-------been a member for almost 5 years, and first post...............?

Welcome aboard:D

I must have just been window shopping back then. Now I've got a few hundred hrs under my belt and 95mph just ain't cutting it anymore :)

Thanks

Scott

No, not an option, the design was changed (I think in the 90s) to increase the length of the gear by a few inches. Generally the long gear is seen as more desirable, but there's nothing wrong with the short gear. To switch you will need to buy a new engine mount as well as the gear legs. Apart from new brake lines and gear leg fairings most other things should be common.

Pete

Thanks Pete.

If I was looking at a project for sale how could I tell which gear is on the airplane?

Scott

Thanks Pete.

If I was looking at a project for sale how could I tell which gear is on the airplane?

Scott

With the airplane on a flat surface, if the measurement from the floor to the tip of the spinner is 55 to 56 inches from the ground, then it would be the long gear. Mine is 55 1/2 inches.

Thanks! I guess in addition to clearance it makes the airplane easier to land as well. I am going to look at a project this week and will make a point of checking that.

Scott

Back