What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Help, need an owner's manual for a RV-4

riobison

Well Known Member
I'm up here in Canada and I have a Vans RV4 with a 0360 A1A 180 HP and a FP Aymer Demuth Prop. Would anyone have an owner's manual that I could get a copy of?

I have talked to the previous owner as well as the fellow that built the plane and they both tell me that they don't have and there is not a manual for this plane. :confused:

I realize that each plane is specific but to be legal I do something in the plane when I'm flying and I could use some help here if anyone is able to help out?

Thanks

Tim

There is no such thing as an RV4 Owners Manual but you can find Lycoming Service, Parts and Overhaul Manuals for the O-360 engine you have.

There is no such thing as an RV4 Owners Manual but you can find Lycoming Service, Parts and Overhaul Manuals for the O-360 engine you have.

There are owner's manuals that most owners put together at least in the USA when they build their plane with all of the flight data (stall speed, best ROC, cruise speeds, range etc) that is entered into the manual and that is what I was looking for a copy of.

I'm here in Canada and there is not one with my plane, and I have no idea why.

Tim

You can use any one of the RV model generic POH Manuals for that, just change the Registration number, Specs, Flight Data etc... to your planes values. A lot of folks have done that. :) You would never want to rely or use another RV's published numbers anyway as no two RV's are alike.

Last edited:
You can use any one of the RV model generic POH Manuals for that, just change the Registration number, Specs, Flight Data etc... to your planes values. A lot of folks have done that. :) You would never want to rely or use another RV's published numbers anyway as no two RV's are alike.

Yes, that's exactly what I would like to do. But I'm trying to find someone with a Manual with closer specs to mine like with 180 HP.

There is no regulatory requirement for you to have a POH in the aircraft in Canada. CAR 604.04(1) says ?No person shall conduct a take-off in an aircraft, for which an aircraft flight manual is required by the applicable standards of airworthiness, unless the aircraft flight manual or, if an aircraft operating manual has been established under section 604.37 or Part VII, the aircraft operating manual is available to the flight crew members at their duty stations.?

There is nothing in the applicable standards of airworthiness for amateur built aircraft that requires a flight manual, so CAR 604.04 is not applicable to your aircraft.

Of course, it is very smart to fully understand the performance of your aircraft, including stall speed, best glide speed, etc and to develop normal, abnormal and emergency checklists that are correct for your aircraft. But, every aircraft is different, with its own engine, propellor, airspeed system errors, aircraft systems, avionics etc, so you can?t just copy the performance data or checklists from someone else?s aircraft and think they are fully applicable to yours. You need to do some flight testing to determine the performance of your aircraft. Then you can document that performance in the POH that you write. You need to consider the systems and avionics that are installed in your aircraft when you write your checklists. The POHs on that page are good examples of what you might want to put in your POH.

When I lost all my aircraft documents in the Sun&Fun tornado in 2011, I went to my FISDO and got new copies of EVERYTHING.
I would think you can search the N number in the FAA data base and find where you have to go to get copies.

It was very painless for me.

Joel

Copies at FISDO?

In my case the local FISDO did not copy anything I recorded about aircraft operations.

Back