What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Question on gear shimmying

togaflyer

Well Known Member
I have been flying a friends -10. He told me to always keep the flaps fully deployed after landing and roll out, since you need to keep them down for entry and exit. Since its his plane and I have lots of runway, I follow his procedures. From my experience though, the normal practice on landing is to clean it up so you get the aircraft weight on the wheels. If on roll out, you keep the flaps down it will keep some weight off the landing gear. So I wonder if this possibly introduces the shimmying some have notice with their landing gear. I have not had this issue occur yet, but I dont have experience in landing the -10 under a variety of conditions yet. So just curious what the normal landing procedures are for others.

In the 10 the flaps retract slowly enough that it makes very little difference in a maximum effort stop. By the time they're mostly up you've slowed to the point where almost no lift is generated.
But I retract mine anyway - just in case the prop throws a stone back that way while taxiing. And then extend them again just before shut down.
I don't have any shimmy, flaps up or down.

Rich,
I agree with Bob, deploying the flaps or not makes little or no difference on the gear shimmy issue. Normally, I don't even apply the brakes on landing until I am under 15kts.
I had some minor shimmy in the main gear around 28kts. I cured it by going to Good Year flight custom III retread tires from Dresser. The change in the weight was just enough to move the resonant frequency out of the speed range. I also run 45-50psi.
I still have a slight shimmy on the nose wheel, which is caused by the flat spot that occurs after a week of no flying. After rolling out and back to the runway and taking off, the shimmy motion disappears. The resonant speed is around 14kts, but will vary with tire pressure. It's not a side to side motion, it's more like an up and down motion with the front wheel. It's easy to stay away from 14kts when taxing, and it never can be felt on takeoff or landing.

Several builders have attached the reinforcement wood stiffeners to the main gear legs with success.

Flaps

Two thoughts
1-As far as forming habit patterns for flying different types of aircraft, raising anything during landing rollout might cause a future problem since you might raise a gear handle,etc. Wait until you can give it your full attention.

2-In RV's I like to raise the flaps inbound to the parking spot because, having had a flap motor failure, it is best to know there is a problem taxing in rather than loaded taxing outbound with a passenger, a clearance, etc. and having turned your rental car in already. Just makes a better situation of an inconvenient one.

Thanks for the input. Just developing my -10 flight procedures for the upcoming day. Bill are you down here right now or up North.

Hi Rich,
I am up north at the moment. Getting my parents moved out of their house. I will be back down around the 1st of April. I'll give you a call and get together.

Back