What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

We lost a giant: Jim Winings, gone west 3-15-18

vfrazier

Well Known Member
1st%20Flight%20Grin.JPG

Friends, fellow RVers, Rocketeers, and aviation enthusiasts,

It is with great sadness that I report that we lost a true giant from among us yesterday. Jim Winings passed suddenly after visiting another fellow pilot at a nursing home. Jim was found collapsed in the parking lot by another pilot friend.

Jim had a huge impact on the RV community. He was one of the earliest RVers, owning or building 5 RVs,including one F1 Rocket. He started early and never let up. I talked to Jim about a week ago, and his excitement about flying was unchanged from the first time I met him in the late 1980's. Positively contagious is the only way to describe him regarding aviation.

Jim gave dozens, probably hundreds, of us our first RV flight, including me. If he wasn't Van's top salesman, and completely for free, he had to be in the top 3. There were, and are, RVs being built all over the Midwest, all over the country, and all over the world that were a direct result of Jim's boundless enthusiasm for the RVs and for flying.

He was completely selfless about promoting the RV aircraft, particularly the RV-4 and Rocket. Jim was adamant about keeping his planes light. Performance was everything, and handling qualities were everything x 10.

IMG_20131122_171019.jpg

Jim was a mechanical genius in the truest sense. Literally, not 1 in a million people could do what he could do. And he was completely "aw shucks" about it in every sense, giving gentle advice, building parts and pieces, fixing, helping, and generally just going the extra 10 miles... all while making it look as easy and routine as getting a glass of water.

Jim story time... a few years ago, Jim had a new SUV. Jim felt that the steering should be lighter, just like he wanted for his earth moving equipment and his airplanes. Jim modified the power steering to make it lighter, stating " I want to be able to drive that car with ONE finger." I mean, who does that, modifying a brand new vehicle? Jim does.

Same for his airplanes. The modification list would read like a checklist for a B-52... so I won't even try to relay them all here. When Jim was building his F1 Rocket, a magnificent aircraft by any standard, he chided Mark (and me) about how that airplane could be better. And, to no one's surprise, he made it better. Effortlessly. Like it was nothing. Jim's mods to his Rocket, to list just a FEW of them, included: changing his elevator and rudder trailing edges, changing the intermediate bellcrank ratio, modifying the gear legs, designing new rear seat rudder pedals, flap arm covers, installing a flopper canopy, and a hundred small things that were all 100% designed to reduce weight and maximize performance and handling.

Jims-Rocket.jpg

Jim's F1 Rocket, being flown by Tom McCord.

Jim built 2 RV-4s and 1 F1 Rocket. All were yellow with no stripes or graphics of any sort. Nothing but the N-number, which he wouldn't have added if the FAA didn't make him. He said that the lines of the plane were sufficiently beautiful that no other adornment was necessary. Who can argue?

Jim worked on P-51s while in the military. He often compared the RVs/Rockets to them, and many other aircraft that he'd flown, even hotrods like the Glasair III, and said about the RVs/Rockets: "There are just no finer flying aircraft anywhere."

We all owe Jim a huge debt of gratitude. No doubt. However, I personally, I owe Jim an even bigger debt. His selflessness has allowed me to be in a small business with my son. What a gift that has been. Here's a brief version of that story: Jim and I were at a breakfast fly-in back in 2005. Jim walked in and was showing a new tailwheel fork design that he thought worked better, and handled better. He gently suggested that I really needed one on my new Rocket. (He was right, of course!)

Jim-Winings-4.jpg

During the conversation, he handed the tailwheel fork to me and said " I'm too old to mess with making these, but they're really needed on the Rockets/RVs. Why don't YOU make them?" I had no clue how to make something like that, and botched quite a few learning, but ultimately that conversation started a small, very small, business: Flyboy Accessories, which my son, Blake, now runs full-time.

What a gift that one humble, talented, selfless man can make in the lives of others. Jim gave that gift to me, Blake, and hundreds of others in the RV community. He will be sorely missed.

Godspeed Jim Winings.

In%20the%20air.JPG

Last edited:
RIP Jim

Vince, RIP Jim........
Thanks for sharing his story. You had 30 years of Jim in your life and it is hard to put in a post, but you did a good job.
I am sure he will be missed by many! Blue Skies Jim!

I flew with Jim last Sunday evening. He came to pick me up to move an airplane to my shop for an annual. Most times that we flew together he, in typical Jim fashion, always offered the front seat and I always gladly accepted!! We've flown, ate, and road tripped hundreds of times together and I don't think I'll ever come across an exceptional friend in life like Jim.

Below is a photo from our last flight together, and as you can see he had one very fast RV-4. Jim payed attention to detail which resulted in one fast RV-4! Around the time I took this photo he was telling me from the back seat about how he missed his Rocket but this four was "pretty dang good" and he was just as happy with it as he was with his Rocket.

CZJrvW

Last edited:
Jim

Well said Vince. Yes Jim was a friend to everyone he ever met. I don't remember the year exactly that I met Jim, but what I do remember is his enthusiasm about RV's and his ability to build them.
His first -4 was a fast one. One year coming home from Vans flyin, I was leading a group heading east at 9500 ft. I was at max cruise in my -4 and Jim would occasionally come up along side for a awhile then go back behind me. I had a fast -4 but his was faster. Those were good days. We will miss one of the pioneers in the RV world. Larry v.

Jim was everything Vince said and more. Jim made the first flight of my RV-12 not because I couldn't do it, but because Jim wanted to. He was proud of the fact that he had made first flights in every model of Van's aircraft except the -14. He was also instrumental in me completing all of my airplanes. I will miss the lively discussions we had about everything aviation. God Speed "Sodbuster".

I didn't know him but from these posts, sounds like a wonderful guy. Prayers to the family and friends in these difficult time. Now, he's in Heaven flying on wings created by God himself. Those wings paid for by a life full of family, good friendship, and good deeds.
Peaceful rest.

I just met Jim last month

Vince gave me Jim's phone number so i could ask him about shortening the gear legs on my F4 project. Once we started talking i realized what a wealth of information and innovation he was. His modification of the bellcrank linkage on his Rocket was something he was going to talk me through when i got to that point in my build. He mentioned at least 3 ir 4 more modifications that i could use if i wanted to make my F4 fly just like my -4. I was excited to know him and for his offer to walk me through some of his brilliant ideas. I wish id met him in person. What a wonderful man. God speed Jim.

RIP Jim

Very Sad news, I remember meeting Jim back when I lived in Indiana building my fist RV back 18-20 years ago. Jim was always willing to help out if anyone needed a hand. Also if you needed something welded Jim was your man. I was modifying an RV3B canopy to a fast back and the aluminum frame needed to be completely changed, Jim, no problem bring it by the shop and ill take care of it.
Oshkosh will not be the same for me this year, I could always count on stopping at the Subway Stand by homebuilt camping around lunch time and having lunch with Jim and catching up on projects he had going on.

Blue Sky's Jim.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/149PFGNaNylCgoBh1

Jim, a great friend and a gentleman. He twice flew to our farm in Canada and I have flown in formation with him numerous times going to Texas and other locations. A man of strong convictions who was kinda fun to tease, you could really get him going if you took an opposite view, of course he was always right and enjoyed a good joke.
I have his prototype tail fork on my F1, still going after 1000 hours. My sincere condolences to Wilma and all of his close friends

I will miss him.

In addition to all the accolades mentioned above, Jim had the rare quality of mentoring without making you feel deficient. He helped me solve disappointments in my 3B. He took me for a ride in his -4 and started me in RV aileron rolls. He maintained the -4 was everything the -3 was claimed to be. He accompanied me to buy a -4 project that we agreed was better workmanship than either of us could produce. A typical Jim GEM of wisdom was to use platenuts to secure the front of the HS or you will regret it. After building new ailerons for my -3 per Jim?s suggestions, it is startling nimble yet stable. Our last discussion a few weeks ago included Jim would fly my -3 and resolve the issue -3 vs-4 handling. We will never know now, I will miss him 😩

RIP

First meet Jim and his wife at Putnam County Greencastle airport back in 2002 while at a Saturday Breakfast gathering. They invited our group to join them at their table. I was building a RV7A and Jim stayed after breakfast to answer my questions and concerns I had about my project. After departing with the Warrior I was flying Jim announced he would be passing me overhead. As he passed me with about twice the speed of the warrior and in front at a safe distance he did two aileron rolls. Talk about motivation for getting the RV finished and in the Air.
Had not seen Jim for several years after Greencastle restaurant closed but will alway appreciate his wisdom and building skills he shared with me.

Squeak

Renaissance Man

I met Jim in 1997 after a friend had suggested I contact him. It was a very cold January night. There was about 8 inches of snow on the ground. I was told to call him late at night as he was always working in his barn on something until about 10:30pm. After we talked about a half hour on the phone, he asked if I wanted to come out that night and talk about building airplanes! We sat down by his big homemade wood burning stove that he stoked every half hour to keep the walls of the stove cherry red and talked until 4:00AM in the morning. There was rusty metal and aluminum all around.

Jim-Winings-1.jpg

In between the stacks of raw materials there was his lathe, drill press and assorted grinding machines along with his welder and tanks. It was like stepping into the 1940's but I just couldn't leave.

Jim-Winings-2.jpg

We talked About the earth mover he built by hand with cardboard templates and cutting all the 1" steel plate with an acetylene torch...at the age of 27! Ordered a Cummins diesel direct from the factory. He moved dirt with that machine for the rest of his life and built many of the grass runways around the Indianapolis area.

At the time, I was considering building an RV-8 and without the support from Jim, I don't think I would have followed through. He was always available if I had a problem with the build...always putting his schedule on the back burner to help anyone in need. As Vince said above SELFLESS.
Fast forward through the years and nothing has changed. Jim and I would talk every 3 or 4 days with most calls ending way beyond midnight.

Jim-Winings-3.jpg

I'm in the process of finishing up an RV-4 that was started many years ago but never finished. It should be in the air this spring.
I can't put into words how empty I feel knowing that those late night calls won't be coming anymore. He was my dear friend, my brother and my father I never had. Thank you Wilma for sharing the love of your life with us. I feel honored to have known such a beautiful person....

Jim-Winings-5.jpg

A TRUE RENAISSANCE MAN

Humbly,

Todd Reifers
Indianapolis

Last edited:
There were countless things that Jim improved with small thoughtful changes most people would never consider. Take for example, seat belts:

jFbHi7

He put a small piece of velcro around the seat belt buckle so that he could free his hands but keep the stick pulled back while starting. If you look closely, he eliminated the metal shoulder harness plates and sewed the ends into a loop, so when you got in the airplane you just slipped the belts over your shoulders and latched the belt. No foolin around! That was Jim. Always thinking about ways to improve something most people would just accept as-is.

Always helping his flying buddies out!

Vi1jwL

A project we worked on together...a round-inlet scoop for the Rocket that used a cone filter. He wanted to share this with other builders, so he built molds to lay these up. Vince has the mold now. Notice his shirt sleeves? Modified, to his liking!

UGE1Zx

When you needed a hand, Jim was always there and was always fun to have around. He helped me take off the wings to move my Comanche project home. We'd meet at the airport it was at in the evenings after I got off work and wrenched on it until we got it moved. He would tell guys around the airport about what we were up to, and without requesting, helping hands would show up which for a few evenings turned into a bit of a party. His enthusiasm was infectious!

JBQzEz

Jim dove right into this hot mess, no problem.

2UPzss

The best place to see Jim was off your wing. Even at his advanced age he was an exceptional formation pilot. One day we took turns doing loops in formation. Neither of us had ever done them but we figured it out. That was Jim. Enthusiastic. Always had the balls to do things most don't, and was bored by the ordinary. We traveled all over the country like this and I'm going to miss my wingman! We were so, so fortunate to have him around.

S7TmRX

Q6YAxs

Last edited:
Very nice write up, Vince. Thanks for sharing; especially for those that didn't get to know Jim. Appears to have touched many. Sounds like a guy I would have loved to have known.

May Jim rest in peace. Thoughts and prayers to his loved ones.

Brian

Bob,

Thanks for sharing those stories too. If we all put all of our Jim stories together, Doug would need a new server just to host them.

I talked to him more than a few times while I was building my Rocket, and had a wealth of practical advice.

He helped me a lot and I am sorry to hear he is gone.

Legacy

Jim and I had many a Rocket Chat back when I owned my HR2. He was a great example of The Greatest Generation.

Will be praying for his family.
V/R
Smokey

Like so many here I have had the luxury of knowing Jim for quite awhile. He will be sorely missed. Always a gem to talk to always a wealth of information and knowledge based on experience and good ol common sense. I always enjoyed visiting with him at Oshkosh and he and Wilma frequented Larry Vettermans Black Hills flyin's. One of my favorite memories of Jim was a few years ago when he and Wilma arrived at Vettermans fly in. It was a bit of a gusty afternoon with a pretty sporty crosswind. I don't recall the gentlemen I was visiting with at the time but they commented when Jim set down and was working that rudder fiercely what a sweet landing that guy in the Rocket just made. When Jim taxied up and he and Wilma climbed out these guys jaws about dropped to the floor. They were in disbelief that someone of Jims age could handle an airplane like that. Of course we all know better.
Ryan

West with the other Angels Jim...

I met Jim in 2013 when I stopped for fuel at Hendrix County on my way to Oshkosh. I had a dead battery and this elderly gentleman came over to see if he could help. He introduced himself as Jim Vinings and offered to hand prop my RV1. I kept in touch & he invited me to stop by on yearly trips to Oshkosh & visit with he & his lovely wife. I always drove after that 2013 trip so it wasn't to be. I did meet he & his wife at Vintage in 2015 and had a nice chat. I heard what a legend he was and had fun telling him the story how I accidentally met John Harmon in the ramp @ Bakersfield South.
Blue Skies Jim, aviation has another angel...

Bob,

Thanks for sharing those stories too. If we all put all of our Jim stories together, Doug would need a new server just to host them.

Well storage is cheap nowadays and I can write hundreds of stories about him.

It seems like yesterday that we were celebrating his 70th birthday. On that day back in 2000? or so a bunch of the guys at the old Speedway airport had a surprise birthday party for him. I can't recall ever seeing more low passes at a "flyin" than on that day. Ingrained in my mind after all the years that have past, how fun that day was.

Jim was the "mother Theresa" of anything that was tired and broken, needing to be welded or machined. He took great pride in things he made and fixed, especially when he didn't have the capability to do something. In a short time would overcome the challenge, in some crazy and simple ways. For example, he once had a diesel engine that needed a keyway cut on the crankshaft. Having no way practical to machine it he patiently took a file and cut the keyway by hand. Took him three days of filing to get it done.

A few months ago I had an exhaust hanger break on my daily driver. I was telling Jim about this and he walked around, looked at it, and said "back it into my shop". Fifteen minutes later, fixed, done.

He could get up off the creeper quicker than most people half his age.

cFEXhV

Last edited:
For those local who might be interested in attending, here's Jim's obit:
James O. Winings

Indianapolis - James O. Winings, 86, went to be with the Lord on March 15, 2018. He was the beloved husband of Wilma for 62+ years. He graduated from the Avon High School in 1949. Jim joined the Air National Guard and was called to active duty in 1951 and served as a P-51 mechanic and Aircraft Inspector at Scott Air Force Base, Illinois in the 113th Fighter Squadron of the Air Defense Command until 1953.

Jim received his pilot's license in March 1968 and enjoyed flying to the West Coast, Oshkosh, Wisconsin, Sun 'n Fun in Florida, Texas and other destinations amassing thousands of hours of flying time over the years and enjoying every minute of it. He built three planes himself -- an RV-4, an F-1 Rocket and a second RV-4 which he completed in November 2015 and was still flying this month.

He was a charter member of the Hendricks County Aviation Association and served on the Board of Aviation Commissioners which was instrumental in securing the new Hendricks County Airport.

Jim worked at grading and moving dirt to build runways, golf courses, ball diamonds, driveways, yard grading and other jobs. In the winter he cleared snow at the Indianapolis International Airport for over 30 years.

He could not find the equipment he wanted so he built his own tractor and scraper combination and also a loader. He was a master mechanic, fabricating almost anything, and helped a lot of his friends by making parts and repairing their equipment for them.

He is survived by his loving wife, Wilma, a sister, Doris Moore, sisters-in-law Claire Winings and Ruth Bondurant and two brothers-in-law, Warren and Bill Rawlings. Also surviving are several nieces and nephews.

Visitation will be from 4 to 7 p.m. on Tuesday, March 20 at the Conkle Funeral Home in Avon and 10:30 to 11:30 a.m on Wednesday, March 21 with services immediately following. Burial will be at the K of P cemetery at Lizton.

In lieu of flowers, contributions may be made to the Plainfield Christian Church, 800 Dan Jones Road, Plainfield, IN 46168.

Published in the The Indianapolis Star on Mar. 18, 2018

Jim helped me on bunches of F1 questions during the build & resolved many questions after flying it. He was a gentleman. The Indy bunch was blessed to have him close. I met & flew with him once at a Memphis SARL race. Vince you are so right he had cool ideas pressed into action & a beautiful rocket.

He made me think harder, make it better & simplify. Looking forward to sharing with the world my next build effort this year (sadly not metal) that he helped inspire! Vince, Tom Martin plus Mark Frederick are carrying on the tradition of Jim who shared & cared. For that matter the whole Indy group is like that too!

Tailwinds & blue skies
Howard

Last edited:
Very nice tribute

Vince, What a very nice Tribute. I wish somewhere along the way I had had an opportunity to meet Jim. He sounds a lot like someone else I knew, and I am sure the two of them would have got along fantastic.
Rest in Peace Jim and prayers to his family...

I met Jim at a Swift fly-in in 1989. We were the only RV's, Jim's RV4 and my RV3. As I was fueling my RV3, he walked up with a big smile and started poking fun at the small wings and started asking about how it handled. It didn't take me long to realize he owned the other RV. From the first time I met Jim, it was "how does it handle?" I have flown all of Jim's RV's, and his last one the RV4, in my opinion, is as nice to fly as his Rocket. I refer to it as a baby Rocket.

Before Jim had his Rocket flying, he was riding with me in a new rocket. We were enjoying the smooth ride and the fall colors when I noticed oil coming from the cowling. An airport was near us and we landed. There were only 3 qts of oil left on the dipstick, and oil was all over the bottom of the aircraft. I said we came close to having to walk home. Jim just smiled and said "it's to cold to walk."

I became a snowbird in 2010 and didn't have a chance to visit him in Indy during winter like I used to. We talked on the phone a lot, and I could always hear in his voice, that big smile.

I always felt very comfortable flying with Jim. He flew like a pro and very smooth. When doing acrobatics, it was a pleasure watching him from the backseat.

I haven't met any other person as willing to help people as Jim. I learned a lot from him. He was a man that was willing to share his knowledge. He helped make the world a better place for many people. I am a better person because of Jim

Back