What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G3X GPS 20A Install Wiring Questions

Phantom30

Well Known Member
Has to be a weekend....(finally got my GPS 20A Friday afternoon). Mean while @ the hanger today, hardware installed no problems; however, the wiring harness supplied leaves me with several questions.

1-on page 61-05 rev#0..it states to run red wire (tq3058) to es batt tcw 3ah 15 pin d-sub position 12, and run red wire (tq3007) to be spliced onto wht/red wire f1117 that comes out of egis wh-00101 50 pin d-sub...."there is only 1 red wire which runs from GPS d-sub to both ads-b and nav/com d-subs".

Note: on the plans red wire (tq3058) is shown with pin installed that goes
into battery d-sub.

2-on page 61-06 rev#0..(with a note that if purchased you Garmin avionics kit after 02/26/2016 skip the following steps)

Install wiring harness wh-00130 (tq3057) wht (looks to be shielded) into pin 2 of the xpndr d-sub with the other end into pin 24 of the xpndr 62 pin d-sub, and run green wire (tq3058) which connects to shield of (tq3057) to pin 50 of xpndr 62 pin d-sub.

Note: no such wiring harness (wh-00130) was in upgrade kit????

For you guys who have installed GPS 20A upgrade.....help!!!!

Ric, we observed the same discrepancies with our harnesses. After calls to Stein Air and Van's, they found that Stein built the harnesses to an older set of drawings from Van's. From what I could understand, it was not Stein's fault, but a configuration control problem with the computers between Van's & Stein.
Anyway, Stein is fabricating a new harness and the missing harness. They expect to ship ours the first of next week. So, you might want to call Van's, since I think Van's needs to inform Stein who is affected.
I believe they indicated there were 6 other builders also affected.

Ric, we observed the same discrepancies with our harnesses. After calls to Stein Air and Van's, they found that Stein built the harnesses to an older set of drawings from Van's. From what I could understand, it was not Stein's fault, but a configuration control problem with the computers between Van's & Stein.
Anyway, Stein is fabricating a new harness and the missing harness. They expect to ship ours the first of next week. So, you might want to call Van's, since I think Van's needs to inform Stein who is affected.
I believe they indicated there were 6 other builders also affected.

Thanks for the info...at least I'm not going crazy. Being in the first group to install something new can be a bummer!

Back