What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Is a Radio Station License Required?

RV7ator

Well Known Member
I know it's not for N-numbered aircraft in the US. Ostensibly, it's required when going foreign, like Canada. BUT, have any of you ever been asked to produce the license when entering Canada, or anywhere else for that matter?

John Siebold

Flying into Canada

I know it's not for N-numbered aircraft in the US. Ostensibly, it's required when going foreign, like Canada. BUT, have any of you ever been asked to produce the license when entering Canada, or anywhere else for that matter?

John Siebold

I've been flying into Canada for 43 years and have never been asked to display a radio station license.

I think the FCC wants something like $160 for this piece of paper which serves no useful purpose whatsoever. Let's see, the US FCC says you need this, but only if you leave the US? Does this make any sense?
Not that I would suggest anything not above board, but if you download the application from the FCC web site it includes a "temporary" license.

I think the FCC wants something like $160 for this piece of paper which serves no useful purpose whatsoever. Let's see, the US FCC says you need this, but only if you leave the US? Does this make any sense?

Not quite...IIRC, it's the *other* countries which require the radiotelephone license, and since the plane is not from that country, they require one from the country of registration.

Canadian pilots: Do you need a radio station license?

Yep. I've had mine for 37 yrs and haven't seen it for 37 yrs. I can still remember reciting the phonetic alphabet to get it. Glad I did it back then, otherwise to remember all those letters now I would have to fly around with a copy of it on my knee:D

I think its now called an ROC-A.

Now that it's been brought up on this forum, I'm betting they will ask the next time!!

"Better to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission!" :rolleyes:

I got mine in April of 2014 since I was flying into Canada and didn't want to have to worry if they would ask or not, they didn't. Only cost $60. For me worth it for piece of mind.

pdj

John Siebold

Yes the license is required as well as a "Restricted Radio Operator License" but as others have said and I have have observed in my travels is that it is not enforced and not checked.

Is a FAA Radio Station license transferable to a new owner when the aircraft is sold?

For starters, it's an FCC (the new internet regulators) piece of paper, not FAA.

Answer: yes. Send money and an application.

Or ignore it.

Yep. I've had mine for 37 yrs and haven't seen it for 37 yrs. I can still remember reciting the phonetic alphabet to get it. Glad I did it back then, otherwise to remember all those letters now I would have to fly around with a copy of it on my knee:D

I think its now called an ROC-A.
What you have isn't what the poster is asking about. You have a Radio Operator's Certificate - Aircraft (ROC-A), not a Radio (Base) Station License.

There are separate licenses for the operator, and for the radio itself. I think "officially" you need a base station license in Canada for any fixed installation over 5W transmit power (or something like that). I don't have one and don't even know where you'd go to get one.

What you have isn't what the poster is asking about. You have a Radio Operator's Certificate - Aircraft (ROC-A), not a Radio (Base) Station License.

There are separate licenses for the operator, and for the radio itself. I think "officially" you need a base station license in Canada for any fixed installation over 5W transmit power (or something like that). I don't have one and don't even know where you'd go to get one.

Oops. Right you are Rob... Should keep my mouth shut till after my second coffee:)

In over 30 years of flying I have been asked for the aircraft radio station and my radio operator license only on 2 occasions. Once entering Mexico at Cancun and once in the Dominican Republic at La Romana. I had them with me so it was a non issue.

:cool:

Just so everyone is clear, there are two pieces of paper:
Radio-telephone OPERATOR license. I think that's $60 now (I have one from years ago when it was required but free. Just a piece of cardboard that I filled out, sent off to Washington where it was stamped with some seal, sent back).
Radio STATION license. This goes with the airplane. I thought that was up to $160 now. Not sure if it's good forever or needs to be renewed.

Edit: I see someone started a new thread on the operator license.

Last edited:
Back