What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Poll: RV-12 Switch Panel Electrical Schematic Diagram

Should the electrical schematic diagram of the RV-12 switch panel be made available.

• Yes, a schematic diagram should be made available.

Votes: 84 98.8%
  • No, a schematic diagram should NOT be made available.

Votes: 1 1.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MartySantic

Well Known Member
Please vote and let the folks at Van's know whether or not you believe an electrical wiring/schematic diagram of the RV-12 switch panel should be made available.

I recently had a problem related to troubleshooting the audio quality from the Garmin 496. Troubleshooting was virtually impossible without the electrical schematic. I, with others are also experiencing fluctuating oil pressure and ammeter readings on the D-180. Troubleshooting, again, is virtually impossible without the benefit of the diagram. During the build, I had problems with the headphone/microphone wiring. A diagram would have made the troubleshoot much easier.

And thinking ahead, if we experience an electrical/electronic problem in the future, an avionics technician will be lost without the benefit of a diagram.

I really believe, if the RV-12 builder community shows an interest, Van's will provide the switch panel schematic.

If you have experienced an electrical issue, please describe it in a few short words in a reply to this post, thereby, indicating how the diagram would have assisted you. Please also post a reply if you can foresee any hurdles or problems if the schematic diagrams are made available. Also, feel free to post your general comments.

If you do NOT think the schematic would benefit you or your avionics tech, or, if you believe it would over-burden Van's, please vote NO to ensure full impartiality.

Last edited:
Hi Marty,

You have it nailed, we do need full wiring diagrams so that we can get professional help when we have issues now and in the future.

I have installed a cable wrong, had a wire misrouted (both were in the same cable and were both yellow), the 496 is not talking to the D-180 and the COM is not talking to the 496. It would be good for everyone if we did not have to make calls to three companies (Van's, Stine Air and Dynon) to try to find out what should be connected where so we can find where the wire is not working.

Best regards,
Vern

Electrical schematic

I think that a schematic diagram will be very helpful in the future for modifying, upgrading or troubleshooting the electrical system. If Van's does provide the schematic to builders, it will be much appreciated. I can understand their reluctance to do so if the schematic would reveal proprietary information that would benefit their competitors.
Joe

I hold degrees as an electronics technician and a computer engineer, and have been a ham operator for 50 years, building much of my own equipment. As such, I feel I am qualified to do troubleshooting on the avionics in my RV-12, if it should become necessary. However, this will be impossible without a skematic.

I haven't put power on my airframe yet, but when I do I am holding my breath that it all works, because of the difficulty of diagnosing and correcting problems if they should occur.

I would be glad to sign a non-disclosure agreement if that is the issue hoding up the release of this information.

Great thread Marty.

I too have wondered how we could possible diagnosis problems ( or have an avionics guy solve problems down the road) or add new equipment without causing problems with the existing system. I'm electronically challenged (just ask Steiner ;)) if it doesn't not involve 110v / 220v alternating current. Any aircraft panel Stein supplied has a detailed schematic that even I can read and understand. :D

I vote "Yes", for what that is worth.

Hopefully the "mother ship" is watching.

Last edited:
Poll: RV-1`2 Switch Panel Electrical Schematic Diagram

Has anyone looked in the RV-12 Maintenance Manual? There are two sections on electrical and avionics. These sections will tell you where to go for additional info. On page 17-17 there is a schematic drawing, but none of the drawings in the manual discuss wire colors.

Hope this is some help.

Art Pennanen

Has anyone looked in the RV-12 Maintenance Manual? There are two sections on electrical and avionics. These sections will tell you where to go for additional info. On page 17-17 there is a schematic drawing, but none of the drawings in the manual discuss wire colors.

Hope this is some help.

Art Pennanen

The "simple" one line diagram of the electrical system is not what most of us are looking for. The same diagram is in the POH. Also, Chapter 7 and Chapter 8 of the Maintenance Manual do not give us the information.

A detailed wiring/schematic diagram of the switch panel would show for all connectors on the rear of the switch panel, connector pin number, wire color to the connector pin, a description of the use of the wire, and show where the other end of the wire is terminated. The electrical wiring/schematic diagram of the switch panel would show all internal components within the switch panel and all interconnections within the switch panel.

Moderators: Could we tag this thread as a STICKY for about a month??

Last edited:
Poll: RV-12 Switch Panel Electrical Schematic Diagram

Well I guess it's just like everything else on plane. We don't have detail drawings and dimensions of the structural parts of the aircraft either. All service and parts have to be sourced from Vans, so I guess thats why we don't have schematics. Van is just trying to protect his investment.

A few years ago Chris Heinz licensed his Zenith 701 to a foreign company. Soon there were copies of his design all over the world.

Art Pennanen

I chased a problem for several weeks where my Dynon was not receiving input from the GPS. After many calls to Vans, Stein and Dynon, and finally after Dynon support called Vans, Rian was able to provide the wiring info necessary to troubleshoot and solve (turns out I had not completely peeled back the shielding on the GPS wire going to the ELT before installing the butt splice, sending the GPS output to ground).

Agree

Had enough issues during the build, that it would be good to have - IF - I have any other wiring issues in the furure.

John Bender

I don't understand the reasoning behind not releasing it. I do understand its proprietory and that Van's name is on our data plate. They have a right and perhaps a liability invested in keeping it to themselves. But since we are allowed to make changes (within limits) after completion it would be nice to at least have a dedicated employee at Van's to help us with avionics issues as it relates to the board. If that's not possible, then give one to Marty, make him sign his life away, and let us call him. We call Marty and John Bender for quite of bit of stuff now and they (bless their hearts) are not only willing to take on the challenge but they are very good at logical step by step problem solving. My ability to help others with their issues more often than not has been cleared with one of these two in advance. Plus they keep Larry Geiger on the straight and narrow and that's harder than any avionics problem.

Plus they keep Larry Geiger on the straight and narrow and that's harder than any avionics problem.

Hey, at least I know how to turn a multimeter on. :cool:

:D

I agree Pete. Being able to have a schematic for "down the road" diagnosing problems is a huge deal.

Back