What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Show us your RV-14 panel

N199MJ final design

Here is our final design. There are 2 additional USB ports located under the bottom edge at the midpoint of the screens. These are for the data input and output of the Dynon Touch system. Turned out to be a great location as they are out of the way and don't take additional panel space. We also have Steins replacement circuit breaker panel instead of the standard auto fuses.

oEi.jpg

Last edited:
The throttle quadrant is the one Van?s sells for the RV-10. You can sometimes find a builder with a new one for sale a little cheaper if they changed their installation plans.

D120 EMS from Dynon

I will be installing the HDX screens in my 14A, one item i would like to include is the separate EMS D120. I like the dedicated engine screen, that way I can use the entire PFD, MFD screens and will not have to toggle the screen to see other engine data. Any experience with the D120?

I will be installing the HDX screens in my 14A, one item i would like to include is the separate EMS D120. I like the dedicated engine screen, that way I can use the entire PFD, MFD screens and will not have to toggle the screen to see other engine data. Any experience with the D120?

Rather than adding an older Dynon D120 screen with a different interface and limited (if any) interconnection to the HDX units, why not simply add an extra 7 inch HDX screen and dedicate it to engine monitoring only?

Size is similar and that extra 1 AMU gives you a more up to date technology. :)

Rather than adding an older Dynon D120 screen with a different interface and limited (if any) interconnection to the HDX units, why not simply add an extra 7 inch HDX screen and dedicate it to engine monitoring only?

Size is similar and that extra 1 AMU gives you a more up to date technology. :)

Thanks Gil, that makes sense. I was just try to save a few $$ since I really wanted a dedicated EMS and didn't need the full EFIS.

Am I missing anything? Panel Question.

Before committing I wanted to get feedback or suggestions on the layout These are HDX panels, thanks.
B9T36on_-Qi_Cc1CkCpYgRJqvAE4vFdQ1T-SRs80LZJyOXPqpza3zcx0Fq-rrEDk2Wk3dRxF8RfE0p5X2fx7DFEAShaxiG7TliksIaOyAhje8xuOMEoGbhGW88Nyw9yzDW2JbHgidF1OV0e6V3JgRMSwPqru5-J62Uzq99rcBZG3jGqZl_upiUPku5Vt1ImRaMvGIz_kgH4BHcK9DLaFZi5otfDfx0UfKVJX7EvQPcEBu1vmFEjQAJr_gKbFLPAhX0YqgayLuWZCM-YtRWf0UgJehEtfG8SpmjrU1zHjnMPoF2z56qSgCpEwfj2zDxrp0qKNfDRO7OFD87K2ISZo99EfpbM5QumUY4n0rT7ZWjeX-LG1G7lhPw8f2b7EAFpYl9fOUcSJuq3EApgbsuId58r6g7RGGZroD_WQz47TL-Yf_8axyRcT_VptAC26UDqab9LFrAOPMq3tIDPwDlhyVV6E7J4yGnicTDGLmILotn-Om82lng8tUE4vXllvg1eAHFCAMmsrp97mPpOhtkHdqNc7EtOysOqEsrtVbjt0_HzSCHOb7e48DbXWktPOSOBoKu4iROBJvo2SjxYzlvvY33TqZyyE5tDn9FpbMpXl=w1920-h1080-no

RV14A Panel N14ZT

Here's the panel almost completed, the rest to be done is more of the wiring connections behind the panel.

oeH.jpg

All of the currently acquired panel instrumentation is mounted and the harness that connects everything is installed and wired to a VP-X Pro (equipment harness built by Approach Fast Stack). 'Most' everything is wired up to the common fuselage harness, still have a few days to a week to get everything connected, that is to the 97.5% done point.

In the panel equip is Garmin; a G5, a GDU465; the stack top to bottom - TO/GA button switch, GMU507, GTN650, GTR200, GMA245, an ECK ELT remote control panel above the G5; and on the right side a partially water-jetted cut out (the corners) for a GDU470 7" portrait, and I have left enough space in the right panel and behind it to put in another GDU46X if that suits me or some future owner instead of the 470. Starter, mag, and alternator (B&C 60A and a B&C 20A) switches below the G5.

Lighted rockers along the bottom for electrical items, four dimmer switches, a Hobbs, next right one of a 5 rocker switch place-holders (black snap-in cover plates), and the special 'WINGS ON / WINGS OFF' rocker switch for good measure to keep passengers thinking and to hammer in the passenger warning placard. A panel mounted dual USB port and two alternator field breakers; a few more breakers to follow as I ran out of circuit assignments in the VP-X.

Last edited:
RV14A F-PJEM panel

This panel tends to become conventional now ;) but it's like I dreamed it :)
Dual G3X Touch, GTN650 (COM1), GTR 20 remote (COM2), GTX 35 remote, GMA245, GMC307, GAD27, G5 as backup flight instrument with battery, TCW backup battery for PFD, GTN and GEA24.

P1100861.jpg

Last edited:
Phase I

I'm very proud of this. I used the spare wing walk doubler I had for a panel. It was perfect since the pre drilled holes were already lined up :D

ov7.jpg

- Kilroy

This panel tends to become conventional now ;) but it's like I dreamed it :)
Dual G3X Touch, GTN650 (COM1), GTR 20 remote (COM2), GTX 35 remote, GMA245, GMC307, GAD27, G5 as backup flight instrument with battery, TCW backup battery for PFD, GTN and GEA24.

t9z9k7.jpg

Very nice panel indeed.

Smoke Test

All lit up!

Attachments

• 8D8FBF66-5B70-4CA4-948E-A5D3FF0D06D8.jpg
    8D8FBF66-5B70-4CA4-948E-A5D3FF0D06D8.jpg
    302.4 KB · Views: 439
Last edited:
Panel Plan

deSZIBx.png

Pilots Side:
Engine Start Push Button
ELT Control (Not Shown)
Master
Avionics Master
Autopilot
Boost Pump

G3X
Flap Switch

Center Console
G5
GMC507
GTN625
Nav
Strobe
Landing
Taxi
Defost
Pitot

Right Side:
Ipad 12.9"
Small Glovebox for pens,glasses etc

The plan is to run as simple a panel as possible. All switches are Carling Contura Backlit and Laser etched by rockerswitchpros. Single Battery, Single Alternator with VPX Sport controlling the 12v electrical system. The G5 will have a battery backup as well as having an Ipad/Sentry combo for redundancy. The flap switch is a lit toggle switch as well as engine start. Every switch is lit and laser etched to do away with panel labels. I am hoping I can use the built in intercom of the GTR20 instead of a remote comm panel.

Behind the panel, GTR20 x2, GTX45R

Last edited:
deSZIBx.png

Pilots Side:
Engine Start Push Button
ELT Control (Not Shown)
Master
Avionics Master
Autopilot
Boost Pump

G3X
Flap Switch

Center Console
G5
GMC507
GTN625
Nav
Strobe
Landing
Taxi
Defost
Pitot

Right Side:
Ipad 12.9"
Small Glovebox for pens,glasses etc

The plan is to run as simple a panel as possible. All switches are Carling Contura Backlit and Laser etched by rockerswitchpros. Single Battery, Single Alternator with VPX Sport controlling the 12v electrical system. The G5 will have a battery backup as well as having an Ipad/Sentry combo for redundancy. The flap switch is a lit toggle switch as well as engine start. Every switch is lit and laser etched to do away with panel labels. I am hoping I can use the built in intercom of the GTR20 instead of a remote comm panel.

Behind the panel, GTR20 x2, GTX45R

Please keep us updated -E agerly following this!

The plan is to run as simple a panel as possible.

Greetings.

Be careful that the Canopy Close-Out doesn't impinge on your instruments behind the panel when the canopy closes. The Close-Out is the gray box-like area with clecos in this picture:

Also, be careful that the C-01404-L/R Support Flanges don't overlap any part of your panel devices when the canopy is closed. In the above picture, that's the gray part that on the top underneath the glareshield.

As an example, I put dual 12.1" GRT HXr EFISs in my panel. They had to be aligned to the bottom of the panel so that the canopy could close. My steam ALT on the right actually just contacts the aft edge of the Close-Out when the canopy closes (if you look real closely, you can see a bit of white on the edge of the Close-Out which is where the paint was rubbed off and now exposes the primer).

I see you're in Colorado. PM me if you'd like to take a look at my bird to get a better perspective on what you need to watch out for when placing instruments on the panel.

Last edited:
Thank you both for the input. I was able to compress the stack and get the g5 with 15mm clearance at the top. I am worried the switches won't have enough support between the 625. E, I can't tell you how helpful your blog has been.

VD2nidZ.png

uMna3rz.png

-Jason

Back-up EFIS

rwthompson67, Did you need to go with the Garmin back-up EFIS because the Dynan would not fit? I am about 3 months away from ordering my panel (SNF 2019 will decide) and torn between Garmin and Dynan for the PFD's. The Dynan (and MGL) are slightly wider than the Garmin and it's pretty tight in that space. One nice "feature" of using Dynan the AeroRocker switches will fit. I am pretty sure if using G3X I don't think the AR switches will fit under the display. Thanks

Here are a few pictures of my panel and interior. The panel is not nearly as white in actual as it appears here.

]

Classic Aero has done a great job with the seats

Home made side panels and glareshield

I went with the G5 because it was a lot cheaper than the D10A and I like the look. Also wanted to kind of split my panel up 50/50 between Garmin and Dynon.

This is my new favorite panel and interior. Couple years away but I love the look all the way around.

Finally, everything attached and mounted on panel and behind panel, VP-X Pro with configuration transferred, Master Switch ON, Avionics Master ON. Hold breath and step back . . .

No smoke or sparks.

o1M.png

VerticalPower VP-X; ACK ELT, Garmin - G5, GDU465, GMC507, GTN650, GTR200, GMA245, GDU470, GTX45R_emote.

Now on to a few small buckets of airframe finishings up, gear leg fairings, wheel pants, etc, etc...

Last edited:
Looks nice, Jeff. What are the things on the far right of the panel? They look like circuit breakers, but you have a VPX. :confused:

They are CB's

They are Circuit Breakers. I ran out of VP-X circuits, so ran a number of items through CB's.

Big milestone - first power up

First up, A special thanks to my friend/mentor Art for his help, guidance and encouragement for this challenging part of the build.

We finished up the wiring of the Avionics harness and electrical system in the past week. Yesterday powered up the panel for the first time. Everything came on line, talked to each other and NO smoke ..... Woohoo!!

Time to call Steinair to finalize the panel details and get it cut and painted.

Now back to the Salt mines to pay for this affliction!

Cheers Jim

mj1m4p.jpg
[/IMG]

Dual G3X Touch GDU 460
G5
GMC 305
GTN 650
GTN 625
GTR 20 Remote
GMA 245
GTX 45R
VPX Pro

Last edited:
Nice panel Jeff! I like that the audio panel is relegated to the bottom of the stack, and overall very clean. Enjoy!

Finally, everything attached and mounted on panel and behind panel, VP-X Pro with configuration transferred, Master Switch ON, Avionics Master ON. Hold breath and step back . . .

No smoke or sparks.

o1M.png

VerticalPower VP-X; ACK ELT, Garmin - G5, GDU465, GMC507, GTN650, GTR200, GMA245, GDU470, GTX45R_emote.

Now on to a few small buckets of airframe finishings up, gear leg fairings, wheel pants, etc, etc...

My RV14-A interior and Garmin G3X panel. I am adding a G5 above the ignition switch, the wiring harness is ready for the G5. Wool carpet and all fire certified leather seat and side panels. The inside firewall has dense sound and heat absorbing mat painted the same color as the interior. The optional Van's RV14 canopy with 97% UV block will help keep the cockpit cool in summer.

"My RV14-A interior and Garmin G3X panel. I am adding a G5 above the ignition switch, the wiring harness is ready for the G5. Wool carpet and all fire certified leather seat and side panels. The inside firewall has dense sound and heat absorbing mat painted the same color as the interior. The optional Van's RV14 canopy with 97% UV block will help keep the cockpit cool in summer"

Beautiful interior! I was wondering if you wouldn't mind sharing your empty weight provided you have weighed it already.

Best Jim

It is currently 1276 w/interior. Paint- full interior primer, no exterior paint yet. It will have 750 lbs. useful load when painted.

From the posts I read here I see that many of you installed the VP-X Pro. For those who installed the G3X: Did you install GAD 27 as well??

JUST GUESSING THE REASON

Looking at the N14 photos, why would the fuel select valve be in off?
R

OFF or ON, probably either way is OK.

What a wise man once told me (can't remember who) , "You don't want to rotate the valve at all until there is fuel in it." Probably not good for the valve.

That must be why, I thought it was a flying aircraft and there was a good reason to select off after shutdown.
Always on the lookout for good technique, information.

(ref: N14 photo showing fuel selector in off position)

R

That is a good question for Van's, this is there design. There are a lot of safeguards in the electrical system. What is your concern.

I decided to use Klixon breakers verses a electronic breaker box. Simple to diagnose issues and quick to pull if needed. The location Van's selected for the breaker panel is very functional. I installed a small strip of LEDs under the radio stack/ connected to the panel dimmer to see the breakers at night.

That is a good question for Van's, this is there design. There are a lot of safeguards in the electrical system. What is your concern.

I decided to use Klixon breakers verses a electronic breaker box. Simple to diagnose issues and quick to pull if needed. The location Van's selected for the breaker panel is very functional. I installed a small strip of LEDs under the radio stack/ connected to the panel dimmer to see the breakers at night.

I wouldn't necessarily have any concerns with the CB that close to the fuel valve. I really like the looks and the way the CB are installed thru this kit and get mounted but I had a real concern regarding removing gaining access to the tunnel which require this bracket/section to be removed/moved. It seemed to me that one would need to have a good size lead on those wires to move them and set it aside to gain adequate access so I decided against it.

Yes, I appreciate the comment as that planning is required. I did leave an extra 12" of wire to accommodate the panel removal for access of the fuel pump/filter maintenance.

38EDD588-0641-4303-AE98-398C1D5802B0_zps8uvdnawq.jpg

I just got my panel cut this week. It?s still missing some holes for dimmers, circuit breakers, etc., which I can do myself. I had Bill at UpNorthAviation do the CAD work and panel cut.

Really looking forward to getting this added to the project!

Back