What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oshkosh - 2017 HBC Beer Tasting - Sunday 7/23

Rhode Island Beer

I'll be bringing some great beer from our littlest state.

Narragansett's "It's About time IPA".

Those from these parts will know that Narragansett beer dates back to 1890 and was an icon on southern New England until the dark corporate beer days of the 70s. Recently revived as part of the craft beer renaissance, It's About Time IPA is the first Narragansett beer brewed here in Little Rhody in over 30 years. It's about time!

Can't wait to meet you all .. this will be my first HBC Beer Tasting, and more importantly, my first pilgrimage to Oshkosh (sadly, the -7 is still awaiting her first flight)

I'll be packing some "Hop Dogma" NorCal local brew from Half Moon Bay.

2zf5v9i.jpg

http://hopdogma.com ... easy walk from KHAF south tiedowns.

Last edited:
Looking forward to seeing everyone as well! Glad to help out where needed. Saving some room in the plane to bring some "Naughty Nurse" from CT

I am still not sure how to get to HBC, hand carrying beer, coming from the outside with no car entry permit.

We are flying commercial and staying at the dorms this year.

The gate on the west end of HBC (near the Foundation and Gelatin ave intersection) is typically unguarded and unlocked in Sunday. Put the beer in a backpack and you should be good to go!

Time had better fly.... I'm suffering casualties before the kickoff of the event.

My six pack is down to a fiver...

Got some Rhinegeist Truth (IPA) from Cinci, OH, and look forward to getting together with all of you.

Fly safe. See you tomorrow.

But it's warm from the long ride. Are there any coolers available to store it until tomorrow?

The HBC beer tasting volunteers will be at the new HBC pavilion starting at 3pm on Sunday to ice down your beers. The volunteer pay isn't that great, so you may end up with a chilled 5-pack :rolleyes:

I'll be arriving with an assortment of offerings from Nebraska breweries including Lucky Bucket, Zipline and Empyrean. No guarantees as to the number of surviving full bottles.

Down one volunteer this year, sorry to miss it. If I can get an engine start today I might have a shot at hearing some famous (infamous?) stories of the tasting at the Black Otter. Have fun!

Failed runup yesterday prior to our take off roll grounded us. After spending a chunk of day switching out the Lightspeed for a PMag (great idea Mike B) we got clobbered with storms. Have to postpone our departure until tomorrow (Monday) so will miss the tasting. Well, that is only half true. The iced cold DC Brau "The Corruption" was a tasty treat after sweating for hours fixing the plane so our tasting started a little earlier than expected.

Hope to make it in before all the beer is gone Monday evening at the social. See you all then.

I'm just sitting here at my campsite waiting for 3:00 to roll around. At least I managed to kill a half hour trying to log in from my stinking iPhone...

Success!

Another successful HBC beer tasting! I think it's safe to say everyone had a great time and Jerry will invite us back next year!!

A big thanks to all of the volunteers - CJ, Frank, Dan, Paul and Rob. You guys are the best! A SUPER big thanks to Paul who noticed we had a definite beer container shortage and ran out to Target to save the day! Another GIANT THANKS goes out to Jerry Fischer and Rich Emery who provided all of us hooligans with ice and beer containers.

Oshkosh 2018

Hey Mike,
Are you going to organize this again this year? Was a blast last 2

Will access be different this year due to the EAA security changes? Tempted to volunteer again... but hardly did anything last year; you guys had it covered!

Will access be different this year due to the EAA security changes? Tempted to volunteer again... but hardly did anything last year; you guys had it covered!

There really isn't any security changes around HBC. Their focus is to keep folks away for the exhibit halls and major through fares while they are setting up outdoor exhibits. Not really a big deal.

Tempted to volunteer again... but hardly did anything last year; you guys had it covered!

I will be unable to volunteer this year so your help could be needed.
I've already talked to Mike. I'll definitely miss it.

I'll be hiking the Pacific Crest Trail & should be near the Oregon border by that time. I'm looking forward to seeing all the pictures & write ups once I get to a place where a cell exists.

Have fun all & will see you all next year.

Last edited:
Count me in to help out Mikey. The Queen if the Fleet is available for procurement duties if needed, and I?ll drink CJ?s IPA?s if he doesn?t get there in time. 🍺👍😊

I can't believe I really like the Sam Adams raspberry lemon gose, but I do. I'm bringing that.

Back