What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oshkosh camping

drainge

This will be my first year at Oshkosh -- planning on flying in early early Thursday morning and staying for the second half.

Three questions:
1. I've been reading a lot about camping locations. What are some pros/cons of camping at, say, N40 vs HBC. Do any of you fly in and camp at Scholler? In any case I'll be using the tent.

2. What's the deal with beers in the campgrounds? All I can seem to find on EAA is that alcohol is permitted only in "designated areas," but I can't any explanation of where those are.

3. I know the HBC pavilion has gas grills and stove tops -- are there enough that I shouldn't worry about bringing my portable cook top? Space is tight in the back of the -7.

Starting to get extremely excited for the adventure :D
Dan

This will be my first year at Oshkosh -- planning on flying in early early Thursday morning and staying for the second half.

Three questions:
1. I've been reading a lot about camping locations. What are some pros/cons of camping at, say, N40 vs HBC. Do any of you fly in and camp at Scholler? In any case I'll be using the tent.

HBC is smaller and closer to the action--IMO that in and of itself is reason enough to go to HBC. Some "show planes" do camp in North 40 because they want to be with friends who don't fly show planes. The same can be said for those who fly-in but camp in Scholler.

2. What's the deal with beers in the campgrounds? All I can seem to find on EAA is that alcohol is permitted only in "designated areas," but I can't any explanation of where those are.

There's no deal--is tacitly allowed. They just don't want you schlepping beer through the gates. I believe the "designated" areas they are referring to are the on site restaurants and vender pavilions. No one is concerned with the camping areas.

3. I know the HBC pavilion has gas grills and stove tops -- are there enough that I shouldn't worry about bringing my portable cook top? Space is tight in the back of the -7.

Dan

Depends-- how much cooking are you planning to do? Besides the food on site, there are off site options as it's easy to take the North 40 Shuttle to get to lots of restaurants via the Friar Tuck gate at the Northwest corner of North 40.

Last edited:

Three questions:

Dan

1. No other place is as good as HBC. Especially now with the new digs!

2. Be discreet and respectful about what you consume around your campsite and no one will be complaining.

3. Open flames in the campsites are prohibited. The grills at the new pavilion should satisfy your needs.

HBC

If you bring your Homebuilt you are most welcome to camp in HBC. We are short of tent space this year if you don't have a homebuilt, (sound like you do so you should have a great time.) Beer tasting Sunday the 23rd. RV Social Monday the 24th. Safe flying.

Last edited:
Back