What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oshkosh - 2017 HBC Beer Tasting - Sunday 7/23

bullojm1

Well Known Member
The 2016 HBC Beer tasting was such a great success, it would be ashamed not to do it again!

Same rules as last year -- why mess with PERFECTION?!?!!? Bring a 6-Pack, drink at least a 6-pack - Fun for all!

Last Year's fun:
www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=139670

Jerry Fischer - Can you help us out with ice and containers again this year? You really made this event happen last year!

Volunteers - I need a handful - who's up for being the first and last to crack one open??? :D

I'm in!

Mike, had a blast at last year's. More Montana microbrew gold coming your way...along with another sampler from my home brew collection. Also am a volunteer to help with the set up. Cheers, Woody.

Hey Mike,

My son and I are planning to arrive Saturday afternoon or Sunday morning. If we arrive in time, we'll be over to help however needed. Last year was loads of fun!

Put me back on the volunteer list.

Sorry, I missed you at SNF. When I arrived at HBC, you were headed to my home base at CLW.

Looking forward to the 2nd Annual.

So is this where we start making requests for regional products we don't normally see? I'm happy to bring Pacific NW stuff again this year.

Yes

Had a great time last year. Will be there again and bringing some brews from Richmond, Va. We have 25 breweries here.

Time

Hey Mike,
What time does the first cap come off? I can't remember what time we started last year.

Guys-

Sounds like fun. Since this will be our first time to Oshkosh in many years I'm not real sure of the lay of the land and since our -7 is not yet flying we will be in Camp Scholler, not HBC. You old hands must know... Can we get into HBC from the "outside" on Sunday?

I Sounds like fun... :)

This is the first year it looks like I should be able to attend Oshkosh. A beer tasting sounds like my kind of event. I hope to be there barring bad weather or a last minute gig I can't refuse...

Guys-

Sounds like fun. Since this will be our first time to Oshkosh in many years I'm not real sure of the lay of the land and since our -7 is not yet flying we will be in Camp Scholler, not HBC. You old hands must know... Can we get into HBC from the "outside" on Sunday?

You can get everywhere on Sunday. Gate guards don't get serious until Monday, the official opening day, and even then, an admission wristband is all you need to get to HBC.

In!

Looking at the pics from last year, who wouldn't be? One suggestion for us newbies - name tags with home location and model type maybe?

We're in if we arrive according to plan. Couldn't make it in last year on Sunday due to weather and a simultaneous pet crisis.

Last edited:
You can get everywhere on Sunday. Gate guards don't get serious until Monday, the official opening day, and even then, an admission wristband is all you need to get to HBC.

I don't think this is true anymore. I thought they made the Monday wristband a Sun/Mon wristband and started screening on Sunday. It also may be dependent on which gate you enter too.

Last year we arrived Sunday early and after we were tied down the guard at the gate in the SW corner of HBC allowed a friend to drive his car out to my plane to deliver my tent. (Don't ask why I needed my tent transported by a friends car) the gate guard was very generous all Sunday. Hope they are this year!

Hope for good weather this year and we will be there Sunday morning again.

Count me in again Mike! From what I can remember, I had a great time last year. And as always, willing to help out anyway I can.

You need to have a separate contest for the best "Home Built Beer"

33338580654_1ffd86df44_h.jpg

I will bring a mini keg of IPA from Oregon

Rob Hickman
N402RH RV-10

Include me in the contest for the best 'Homebuilt' beers. I'll have a selection of my best homebrews. I'll be happy to help wherever I can, including beer tasting.

Count me in again Mike! From what I can remember, I had a great time last year. And as always, willing to help out anyway I can.

Last year was a blast, I'm definitely in.
Plus someone has to keep Infidel in line. :D

Hey Steve

So is this where we start making requests for regional products we don't normally see? I'm happy to bring Pacific NW stuff again this year.

How 'bout sum more Black Butte Porter:)
Our new venue in Homebuilt Camping:
2nhotas.jpg

2jfeipl.jpg

And the chilling tubs & Ice will be provided again this year Mike

Last edited:
Looking forward to it

Count me in too, Mike! I will be happy to volunteer any help I can provide - just tell me when to be there! :D

Still deciding on which delectable Colorado brew gets to take up all the extra weight and space in the back of the 6. Haha, did I say extra space?! I mean, which beer forces us to leave something behind :D

Last year resulted in a somewhat tipsy hike to the Fly-In theater for the movie, so we'll have to be a bit more judicious about how many times we let someone offer us something we've never tried. But it was so fun!

OK, latest word...

this from our Homebuilt HQ...the concrete pad is being poured and things are progressing. I requested some pictures of progress to post on this site, hopefully this week. I will be departing for OSH on 7-11 (driving :mad:) since I have too much stuff. If anyone is coming from the Eugene Or area. I appreciate the Black Butte Porter Steve, as the last ones were outstanding. There will be Ice and cooling tubs for our event...getting even more pumped if that's possible.

Last edited:
Hope to be part of this

Planning on attending but will be driving in. Any issues brining a six pack thru security?

Planning on attending but will be driving in. Any issues brining a six pack thru security?

Unlikely on Saturday, maybe on Sunday. Of course you could just drive the Foundation Road loop past HBC and chuck it over the fence ;)

put it away in your trunk. after you park , get it out. i can't imagine any problem. i have driven in for 40 yrs. and can't think of any issues.

Couldn't make it last year but planning on bringing this non-political statement direct from DC this year....and it's darn tasty.

corruption1.png

The RV-8 won't be finished in time, flying commercial...

I will be flying commercial so it looks like my regional ale will be of the local Wisconsin variety.

I have been researching the best of Wisconsin beers so that I can make an educated selection. In fact, the more I read, the more I think I may need to arrive a few days early to do some taste testing! :D

Looking forward to sharing some ale with some old and "newly minted" friends!
Cheers!

I will be flying commercial so it looks like my regional ale will be of the local Wisconsin variety.

I have been researching the best of Wisconsin beers so that I can make an educated selection. In fact, the more I read, the more I think I may need to arrive a few days early to do some taste testing! :D

Looking forward to sharing some ale with some old and "newly minted" friends!
Cheers!
You could always check it in your luggage! :D

6 Days!!!

6 Days until the 2nd annual HBC Beer Tasting!

We have 4 simple rules:

1) Location - Same as last year - We will set up in the West end of HBC.
HBCBeerTasting.jpg

2) Drop beer off anytime after 3pm to be chilled. Event starts at 5pm.

3) HAVE FUN and clean up after yourself. Jerry Fischer is a big reason this event is such a hit, and he has one simple rule - he wants the grounds to look as good after the event as they did before the event.

4) You've got to pay to play. Please only attend if you've brought (good) beer.

VOLUNTEERS! I need some. I know Dan and CJ are in. I could use a few extra. The pay is terrible, but you get to crack one open early :D

SUPPLIES! I will bring 200 Solo cups, 200 name tags, Sharpies and 20+ bottle openers. Jerry supplies the ice and tubs (THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU JERRY!!!).

DONATIONS NONE Required or will be accepted! I enjoy every moment of planning this event and making it happen so everyone has fun. If you truly feel like giving, please donate to VAF. If you feel like personally thanking me, well, I can't turn down a beer in the SOS brothers tent!

DSCN4336.JPG

:D:D:D

See everyone SUNDAY!

Great pic - plan on some delicious Pale Ale from Monroe WA. Happy to help set up and/or clean up. Will be there early to get things frosty and to see what needs to be done.

Looking forward to it!

I have some Baxter Stowaways fron Maine chilling in my hangar right now awaiting the event!

See you all soon!

:cool: CJ

I should be able to make it... and I'll bring my favorite: Samuel Smith's Organic Chocolate Stout. I'm actually arriving Friday... but I'll try really hard to make sure some is left for Sunday. If I arrive before 5, consider me a willing volunteer.

Last edited:
Back