What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Show us the status of your 8/8A project!

On the final stretch...!

I'm running out of important things to do...(other than shave).
I must be getting close.
I hope to enlist my Chapter-mates to help me get the engine cranked in the next few weeks, and will have them swarm over my project before the DAR is scheduled. Hope to get my fly-off done before the cold weather gets to NJ. Stoked!!!:D

IMG_8529_zpsqn9z5mdt.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Nice!

Looks great Bruce - Congrats on being soooo close! I look forward to being there someday too... :D

I am right there with you Bruce but work demands and high temps keeping me away from the hangar. Anybody interested in a construction job doing airport lighting and navaids? We are hiring in the office and in the field.

Ready for the DAR

IMG_8707_zpsyaxfnz9o.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I'm running out of important things to do...(other than shave).
I must be getting close.
I hope to enlist my Chapter-mates to help me get the engine cranked in the next few weeks, and will have them swarm over my project before the DAR is scheduled. Hope to get my fly-off done before the cold weather gets to NJ. Stoked!!!:D

IMG_8529_zpsqn9z5mdt.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Started the engine for the first time yesterday. Won't run smooth over 1500 RPM, but still really feels like I'm getting close. Had to brag to people who'd understand.

IMG_1826.jpg

Getting really close

Almost ready for inspection:
1. Who is a good DAR for North GA?
2. When flying prior to paint, what should be used for temporary flap rub tape?
3. All are invited to stop by 32GA to inspect my work and offer advice on inspection and first flight.
4. I need to dust off my tail wheel skills and get a few hours in an RV-8.

image_zps7kquswmz.jpeg

image_zpshjqyfmgh.jpeg

image_zpseel2hhvc.jpeg

Looking good.

Vic Syracuse is only about 45 miles west of you...15 minutes in RV time. Wait, that's for an -8. Call it 18 in a -10, or 45 in the Stearman ;)

Don't need flap tape if you'll paint later.

#83565 - N184DK

Been poking away at the empennage. Finished the rudder today. Once I get the elevators done I'll probably order a QB fuse. Mulling over whether I should go FI IO-360-M1B or stay simple with a carb again. Actually leaning towards a fueli simply because the Cowl might be a bit easier to build and remove/reinstall. A FI -8 cowl compared to a carb -8A will surely be easier.

2yozr5h.jpg

Daylight!

First time outside of my shop since I received the kit from Vans.

Road trip!

Been poking away at the empennage. Finished the rudder today. Once I get the elevators done I'll probably order a QB fuse. Mulling over whether I should go FI IO-360-M1B or stay simple with a carb again. Actually leaning towards a fueli simply because the Cowl might be a bit easier to build and remove/reinstall. A FI -8 cowl compared to a carb -8A will surely be easier.

2yozr5h.jpg

There is no advantage for a carb over FI, and many disadvantages. Get the forward facing FI engine and enjoy.

Carl

Vic came, he saw, he issued the pink slip!

After 17 years (7 years actually building), my pile of aluminum parts was finally declared an airplane! Vic Syracuse did the honors, and I was truly honored to have him there to give me a great inspection, great advice and he was fantastic company while he was here!:D:D:D:D

Now to get down to Houston and let Bruce Bohannon get ME ready for the first flight....

IMG_0837.JPG

First engine start

First engine start! Idle mixture is too rich and I have a cowl rub on the snorkel. I only thought I was done with fiberglass. I plan to reshape the snorkel to make a little more clearance. It's hard to measure but I think I have about 1/4" to 1/2" now. I should be able to get another 1/4" to 1/2".

Anybody know where a can rent some scales in NE Georgia?

IMG_4863_zpsgzkglrbo.jpg

Last edited:
Scales

Jeff, EAA690 in Lawrenceville, KLZU has scales for our members, go ahead & join, it's cheaper than renting scales...$30/year as I recall + a lot of other neat stuff going on.

Thanks or the many photos.

I'm just in the process of trim and the photos Posted have been a real help in deciding trim style etc.

Cheers :(

Cutting the Canopy

Very nerve wracking, but the first cuts and initial fitting seem to be going well. Will be even more nerve wracking when I start to drill into the darn thing.

90n612.jpg

mx1mac.jpg

Very nerve wracking, but the first cuts and initial fitting seem to be going well. Will be even more nerve wracking when I start to drill into the darn thing.

Looking good Sam! Can't wait to see it when you make the big "cut"!

Thanks Ken!
And thanks for your help in the shop last week along with the pictures you took. Last night I made the cut between windscreen and canopy which went well. This week I'll be drilling canopy to framework.

Posting updates everywhere... but this photo says it all. I'm tempted to share this in the "Photo of your RV on the ground" thread... because it is indeed on the ground.
RV8%2B0556.jpg

Last edited:
Not that I'd expect you would leave it on the ground for long, but that would be a good place for corrosion to start if the padding is at all moist.:eek:

Not that I'd expect you would leave it on the ground for long, but that would be a good place for corrosion to start if the padding is at all moist.:eek:

Absolutely. After the transfer it sat on furniture blankets for a short while before being placed on dry towels. The next day I made up the rug in the photo. Two days later it was placed on padded work stands, and tomorrow I'm fabricating a temporary rolling support for moving it about the shop by myself.

Bacon Finally At The Airport

Jason,
Glad to see that you are moving along, really looks great. I will have to stop by when I get a chance.
Val k.
RV-8
N81VK

Happy to show it to you! The more eyes that look it over the better. I am so grateful for the help I get from other builders on this site as well as my friends at the airport(s). It really takes a village...

Things are really coming together quickly now, as most of the work was done at home. Still fabricating little things like a glove box, but it's pretty much final assembly at this point.

ps. Getting the aerolift off the truck and installed was quite the task. It has caused a little stir at the airport :) Everyone is shocked to see the Cub up on the ceiling.

Use SikaFlex, and you won't have to drill any holes! It's a much better system, overall and it looks fantastic too.

Got my RV weighed today. 1002 pounds. Don't think its the lightest 8A ever, but not bad. Realized I need to measure the gear position in the level attitude (needed 3.5" blocks under the mains) do don't have accurate CG position yet. This is with paint, but no gear fairings or wheel pants. Helps make up for 261 lbs of me in it. Now just need to calibrate the fuel guages and time to call the DAR.

20170318_141122.jpg

Equipment list:
O-360 with B&C starter
Christen inverted oil
Rotec TBI
Lithium battery
B&C SD-8 alternator
Catto 3-blade prop
Day VFR panel (no lights/no gyros)

nice and light. you'll get great performance. add the leg and wheel fairings and get another 13kts. love the paint.

Got my RV weighed today. 1002 pounds. Don't think its the lightest 8A ever, but not bad. Realized I need to measure the gear position in the level attitude (needed 3.5" blocks under the mains) do don't have accurate CG position yet. This is with paint, but no gear fairings or wheel pants. Helps make up for 261 lbs of me in it. Now just need to calibrate the fuel guages and time to call the DAR.

20170318_141122.jpg

Equipment list:
O-360 with B&C starter
Christen inverted oil
Rotec TBI
Lithium battery
B&C SD-8 alternator
Catto 3-blade prop
Day VFR panel (no lights/no gyros)

1002 # with 360 not bad at all. Perfect paint color for your landscape. I will be stomping your grounds in 5 weeks and want to make sure not to enter your "box" :D

First Flight Video

A truly heartfelt thank you to everyone on VAF for all of the information and shared knowledge. I don't think that I would have embarked on such an enormous project without this community and resources.

I had first flight in April, but have been focused on test flying and all that goes along with frequent inspections/adjustments to the new airplane. I've got about 80 hrs on her now, started learning aerobatics, formation flying, and completed an IPC. All I can say to all of the current builders is to keep plugging away at it. The experience and plane has been even better than I had hoped it would be!

Here is my first attempt at making a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHT28sL0-58&authuser=0

Congratulations! I can't wait till I'm doing it too. And... first attempt?! That was an excellent video! Great coverage edited very well... exciting from start to finish. Hope you're coming to OSH... I'll keep my eye out for you.

I wouldn't miss OSH for the world! I'll be in HBC. A small gaggle of homebuilders from my airport are flying up on sat morning before the show starts...just to get a good spot and hang out before the excitement starts. Stop by and have a beer!

Another RV-8 First Flight

After six years of building, I received my airworthy certificate from the FAA (Dayton, OH office) for N118W about a month ago. I postponed flying until I could take some transitional training from Jan Bussell in Okeechobee, FL in late June. The plane took off like a rocket and flew straight and great!

I want to thank everyone that post on VAF. The knowledge on this site is worth 10 times the donation (why I double my donation every year, thanks Doug R.!!!). I also want to thank Stein Air (Doug Law was FANTASTIC), Abbey at Flight Line Interiors, and Catto Propellers. Special thanks goes out to my EAA Tech Counselor Dave Ross!

(Now the challenging part, trying to post a picture!?!?)

Bob Welsh
(in Flight testing!)

A truly heartfelt thank you to everyone on VAF for all of the information and shared knowledge. I don't think that I would have embarked on such an enormous project without this community and resources.

I had first flight in April, but have been focused on test flying and all that goes along with frequent inspections/adjustments to the new airplane. I've got about 80 hrs on her now, started learning aerobatics, formation flying, and completed an IPC. All I can say to all of the current builders is to keep plugging away at it. The experience and plane has been even better than I had hoped it would be!

Here is my first attempt at making a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHT28sL0-58&authuser=0

Jason that was awesome... what a great video to boot

After six years of building, I received my airworthy certificate from the FAA (Dayton, OH office) for N118W about a month ago. I postponed flying until I could take some transitional training from Jan Bussell in Okeechobee, FL in late June. The plane took off like a rocket and flew straight and great!

I want to thank everyone that post on VAF. The knowledge on this site is worth 10 times the donation (why I double my donation every year, thanks Doug R.!!!). I also want to thank Stein Air (Doug Law was FANTASTIC), Abbey at Flight Line Interiors, and Catto Propellers. Special thanks goes out to my EAA Tech Counselor Dave Ross!

(Now the challenging part, trying to post a picture!?!?)

Bob Welsh
(in Flight testing!)

GREAT !!!

ENJOY IT

My smoke test (first time avionics on) went flawless :) and next week my engine and prop will be shipped :)

2arlaf.jpg

1058z61.jpg

2zhf4w8.jpg

Paint has started...

Thought I would share some of the paint work done so far from my very good friend Rob.

I couldn't be happier with the progress and how it's turning out.

Here us the vertical stab.

2r4tw8h.jpg

2dmi91c.jpg

Ailerons

bg4p7b.jpg

2jd3ns9.jpg

20aqjw4.jpg

2w2274n.jpg

There is no orange peel, contrary to the angle you see.

Flaps

e652ef.jpg

p7vxu.jpg

v6olfk.jpg

72pwxz.jpg

I have gone with a two coloured scheme. Both colours are metallic 2 stage.

The metallic silver is called Antique Silver from Acry Glo (H10491) and the metallic blue is called Imperial Blue (F5347) from AkzoNobel.

The rudder will also be checkered. Tail and top of fuse will be blue and half the fuse and wings will by silver with blue accent.

There is 4 coats of clear on most of the parts so far.

Cant wait to see the final outcome....Rob is painting it like it is his own and takes great pride in it...a lot of hours have gone into the checkers and he's cursing me for it...his first checkered job....glad he's doing it!

Cheers,

Don

Last edited:
Back