What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Interested in a used RV-6A, what to look out for?

Alchemist

Well Known Member
Hello fellow Rv6 owners,

I have been lurking the site and gauged some interested in purchasing an RV6A aircraft. My intent for the aircraft is for VFR flight, economical flying, and the ability to do a mild cross country every now and then. I have found a suitable aircraft in my projected budget however it needs some TLC in the cosmetic department. It's not a huge deal breaker to me to fix the fiberglass work and paint as I can take care of that issue.

Only thing I know to do is follow the noted SB, inspect for visual damages, compression check, inspect the oil for metal particles, and put the plane through a few maneuvers to see how it reacts.

Is there anything major I need look out for? or is there a trim chart published by van to see if this plane was built straight? Or should I just stay away ? LOL

Here is a link to the website. I appreciate any input and hopefully I can become a RV owner and become an active member on the forums.

http://www.barnstormers.com/ad_detail.php?ID=868891

Thank you guys for your time.

Last edited:
You need to hire an experienced RV6 builder, or a mechanic familiar with RV6's, to inspect the aircraft and give you a report.

Justin, First, Welcome to VAF. You are sure to get varying opinions but Bob just gave you all the advice you will need. Get a -6 builder to look over the plane for you. If all goes well you will have a fun, economical aircraft and one quick enough to do more than mild cross country's

Have fun and let us know how your find turns out.

I Hope you become a member because there is a wealth of information available here.

Welcome to VAF!

I have been lurking the site and gauged some interested in purchasing an RV6A aircraft.

Justin,
welcome.gif
to VAF.

Thank you guys for the suggestions and welcomes . It appears the seller has decided now to keep the airplane which I understand as it looks like a fun project . He was very nice and knowledgeable about the aircraft . I will continue
Researching on the forums and educate myself as much as possible before a purchase.

Thanks again guys,
Justin

Back