What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Need help alt not charging

sneedrv-6

Well Known Member
I am stuck in sly nevada with a snow storm coming. While flying here everything was fine but right after landing my alternator quit charging. I have a new 10 hours flight time 14684 alternator. My old alternator was a self exciting alternator, so when I bought the 14684 they converted it into a self exciting.

Right now when I start I show a charge from the alt but after 10 seconds that goes away.

I can order a new alt but not sure that will do much good because it will be wired for a field switch.

The wire from my alt goes through a solenoid which is controlled by my alt switch.

Would I be able to order a new 14684 and just wire the field switch to my alt switch and fly home?

Love to hear any input...

Thanks

Jason

Rv-6

Yes, you can do that, but I would try it before getting a new alternator - also, make sure the plug connection in the back of the Alt is not coming lose.

If the alternator is designed for an external regulator, you need one of those. You can't just wire the field to 12 volts or you'll have a serious over-voltage problem. Just buy an external voltage regulator from Autozone ($15) with the alternator and wire it accordingly. Details should be here on the forum. If not, call me and I'll give you the wiring details.

EDIT: To convert your externally regulated alternator, they either could have added an internal regulator or added an external regulator (more likely). You need to know which first before proceeding. You don't want to rush this and get it wrong or you'll start frying things.

You can also buy an alternator that has an internal regulator and wire it the same as yours (usually one wire or two). Buy one for a similar vintage Honda. Bring the old alt to Autozone and make sure the bolt size and patterns are close.

Larry
630-539-4378

Last edited:
Back