What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SkyView Autopilot Servo Location

Shakeel

I'm New Here
Hi Folks:
I'm seeking guidance on the location of the Sky View autopilot roll servo for my work-in-progress RV7A: Understand that the roll servo needs to be located in the wing. However, for the RV6 it should be in the fuselage. Looking for some explanation for the difference.
Thanks.
Shakeel

In the wing

I bought the Dynon roll servo kit that includes a bracket and very clear instructions to mount it in the wing of my RV-7.
I don't know about the setup in the RV-6, but very straightforward and easy to install in the RV-7.

Go to Dynon web home page and look at product documentation for the Roll for the 7. You will find instructions including illustrations. I do not understand why the difference between the 6/7. Seems to me they would be the same, but Dynon ought to know.
Dave

Go to Dynon web home page and look at product documentation for the Roll for the 7. You will find instructions including illustrations. I do not understand why the difference between the 6/7. Seems to me they would be the same, but Dynon ought to know.
Dave

Thanks Dave. Apologize for the poor phraseology of my inquiry. I'm all set with the installation topic. I am actually attempting to understand why is there a difference in the recommended location of the roll servos between the 6 vs. the 7.

As you suggested, I did approach Dynon Support with the question prior to initiating this thread. Although I received confirmation that my understanding of a difference between the recommended locations for the 6 vs. the 7 was indeed correct, I was referred to this forum to seek the answer for the rationale behind it. Thus my question: does anyone know?

I do plan to inquire about it at Sun 'n Fun personally. Best wishes.
Shakeel

The wing spars and center section is completely different on the two models, i suspect you would be pushed for space with an underseat installation on a 7. Standard wing aileron belcrank location on a 7/9 is a good location. I know one builder in our chapter is putting it in the opposite wing, but you'll need to fabricate your own attach brackets so this isnt really an option for most builders and there is a time penalty and certain degree of "experimentation" by travelling off the well beaten path.

Try not to make changes purely for changes sake.

I think the also later designed RV8 uses a centersection mounted AP servo again different center section design and location.

Curious, why do you want to move it from standard RV-7 location? You can ofcourse build it however you want, there is some smart cookies at Vans they have allot of people to satisfy and have to make compromises, but all you need to worry about is satisfying you're self, the inspector who signs it off and any potential future purchasers.

The change in wing spar design is actually the more interesting tale and the reason for the change to AP location. I suspect this was made to make building easier and take further advantage of matched hole technology.

The wing spars and center section is completely different on the two models, i suspect you would be pushed for space with an underseat installation on a 7. Standard wing aileron belcrank location on a 7/9 is a good location. I know one builder in our chapter is putting it in the opposite wing, but you'll need to fabricate your own attach brackets so this isnt really an option for most builders and there is a time penalty and certain degree of "experimentation" by travelling off the well beaten path.

Try not to make changes purely for changes sake.

I think the also later designed RV8 uses a centersection mounted AP servo again different center section design and location.

Curious, why do you want to move it from standard RV-7 location? You can ofcourse build it however you want, there is some smart cookies at Vans they have allot of people to satisfy and have to make compromises, but all you need to worry about is satisfying you're self, the inspector who signs it off and any potential future purchasers.

The change in wing spar design is actually the more interesting tale and the reason for the change to AP location. I suspect this was made to make building easier and take further advantage of matched hole technology.

Thanks Rob (from Sydney)
Greatly appreciate your counsel "Try not to make changes for changes sake". As I am so used to saying "Romeo Mike Copies." Totally concur. Remaining true to the tried and true. Furthermore, regarding your appropriate question-"why you want to move it...". Actually, I don't. So you might ask what prompts this line of inquiry?

My affection for redundancy...I am trying to answer my own question...why can't I have two separate, discrete, auto-pilot configurations. If the roll-servo is agnostic about where it is located, then maybe, just maybe I could have my second auto-pilot. Which raises the question why a 2nd discrete autopilot...1st hand experience under single-pilot IFR of a runaway autopilot in hard IMC over NY in my store-bought airplane. Since then, I carry a 2nd pair of trousers with me. I'd rather carry a 2nd autopilot. Probably more data than you needed. But I am appreciative of your thoughts.

Best regards,
Shakeel
PS: Do me favor. Visit Doyle's on the beach, have a beer and barramundi filet
and toast to a new RV friend. Thank you Doug.

Back