What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

DIY Baffles

Van's sells plans. Here's one:

O-360 Plans Only
Part Number = DOC RV-6/6A BAFFLE360
Price = $10.00

"Tony Bingelis On Engines," page 69, has an article which includes patterns.

Dave

Why DIY?

The newer updated baffle kit from Van's is ready to go and fits great right off the bat. I would save the trouble and just buy the kit. There is a lot of bending and cutting involved with a DIY approach.

Baffle kit

The newer updated baffle kit from Van's is ready to go and fits great right off the bat. I would save the trouble and just buy the kit. There is a lot of bending and cutting involved with a DIY approach.

Can you clarify "newer updated baffle kit"? I have a baffle kit that is a few years old. What kind of changes have they made in the kit and when were the changes made?

Many of the horror stories about the baffles you hear are from many years ago when the instructions were sparse and the kit was much more DIY. I bought the baffle kit about 2 years ago and it comes with complete instructions and everything precut/bent. Still lots of trimming around the front and top where you meet up with your cowling, but the rest just bolts on without issue. I was really expecting the baffle work to be "baffling", but it turned out to be a real non-issue.

IMG_2182-M.jpg

I have lots of baffle photos in my build log link below my signature.

Last edited:
Don't Order Van's Baffle Plans Online!

Just a caution for anyone planning on making your own baffles, Van's website is not updated with the new baffle plans. I ordered "DOC RV-6/6A BAFFLE360" online last week and just got 21 8.5" x 11" copies of the apparently old baffle plans. I was a long way from happy with this since I had seen Bruce Hill's pics on this thread and his 11x17 plans (thanks Bruce, love your photos too!). What Van's sent was pretty shameful, believe me.

I called Van's and they pretty quickly admonished me for ordering the old plans. They became somewhat apologetic when they discovered the new ones, "DOC BAF 360" I believe, were not on the website. They went from offering to email me the plans (which I should've taken in addition to getting the proper ones mailed) to telling me they were mailing me the new ones. I'm hopeful again.

Here's where the ridiculous and disappointing became bizarre and Kafka-esque: they wanted the ones they'd sent returned (contrary to their own return policy about construction docs)?!

I've just enveloped up and put $2 worth of postage on 60 cents worth of copies to mail back to Van's.

Hopefully they won't try to sell them to you. Call to order the newer ones.

George

+1 on the baffle kit. Mine was 2010 vintage and assumed to be the "new" bits. While it is a bunch of parts and trimming to fit the cowl, the ends that interfaced with my parallel valve engine were very good. Starting from scratch would have been a lot more painful and not produced results nearly as good.

Van's Baffle Plans Update

Kudos to Van's!

I just received a credit invoice for the plans I mailed back, enough to cover the cost of the new plans (old were $10 which I paid, new were $25 which I ended up with without having to pay extra). They also credited me $1.92 for my return shipping.

Well done Van's Aircraft. These details, from some perspectives, are trivial, but in my opinion they do matter.

Still, though, if you're ordering the plans, make sure you order the new ones. The two are like night and day :)

George

Just a caution for anyone planning on making your own baffles, Van's website is not updated with the new baffle plans. I ordered "DOC RV-6/6A BAFFLE360" online last week and just got 21 8.5" x 11" copies of the apparently old baffle plans. I was a long way from happy with this since I had seen Bruce Hill's pics on this thread and his 11x17 plans (thanks Bruce, love your photos too!). What Van's sent was pretty shameful, believe me.

I called Van's and they pretty quickly admonished me for ordering the old plans. They became somewhat apologetic when they discovered the new ones, "DOC BAF 360" I believe, were not on the website. They went from offering to email me the plans (which I should've taken in addition to getting the proper ones mailed) to telling me they were mailing me the new ones. I'm hopeful again.

Here's where the ridiculous and disappointing became bizarre and Kafka-esque: they wanted the ones they'd sent returned (contrary to their own return policy about construction docs)?!

I've just enveloped up and put $2 worth of postage on 60 cents worth of copies to mail back to Van's.

Hopefully they won't try to sell them to you. Call to order the newer ones.

George

Back