What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aft Mounted Main Battery

Louavul

Well Known Member
Gentlemen: I'm considering the installation of an Odyssey battery aft of the cabin in the fashion of the optional drawing OP-16. Especially since the Concord unit and tray don't really seem to fit behind the 0-360 engine mount as described in drawing 31.

Question is, is there a drawing specific to the Odyssey battery installed aft? Something similar to drawing 31A (installing the Odyssey on the firewall) only for the rear position?

Thanks in advance,

Putting the battery aft will cause a CG problem. The odyssey battery on right side fits fine. The concord on left will fit but close. I'm building a seven slider with o360 carb and Catto three blade. Battery on firewall I will have to add weight to nose for CG.

William Bennett
RV8A flying For Sale
RV7 finishing up windscreen
USA, ret

Look at sample weight and balance sheets as much as you can. He is right... battery in the back will limit your loading options. Find a way to do it up front. Worth the effort.

Agree with posts below that there are significant CG considerations in placing the battery in the back. Given the increased use of lightweight composite props and recent advancements in battery technology (LiFePO), seems like a change in the engine mount and cowl configuration would be favorable for the -7s and other designs with the batttery on the firewall. Its a shame not to be able to take full advantage of the weight savings they offer

erich

Aft battery

Aside from the CG considerations, just think of all the extra weight of the cables, and where are you going to put them. I know about this stuff because I put in aft battery in a modified 6 with an IO 540. But I sure wish I didn't have to but I need the weight for CG. Steve

Gentlemen: I'm considering the installation of an Odyssey battery aft of the cabin in the fashion of the optional drawing OP-16. Especially since the Concord unit and tray don't really seem to fit behind the 0-360 engine mount as described in drawing 31.

Question is, is there a drawing specific to the Odyssey battery installed aft? Something similar to drawing 31A (installing the Odyssey on the firewall) only for the rear position?

Thanks in advance,

If you're not happy with the FWF installation, why not look at how it was done in the -6, with the battery in a box at the front center of the footwell?

Thanks in advance,

Is there some specific reason for wanting to change from the Odyssey 680 battery? Is there some requirement not met?

Aft Battery

Since it was determined that the "big battery was going to be difficult to get on the firewall where the drawing called out I began considering the rear installation
and which battery to put there and it seemed a way to open up some real estate between the engine and firewall.

Since then I've added thoughts of a Catto prop, W&B considerations and have scratched the idea of mounting anything aft of the baggage compartment.

My circular reasoning and eyes have been opened by the feedback I have received here.

Many Thanks!

Back