What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New RV8 kit owner

Foghorn

Well Known Member
Hello,

It's official, I'm the owner of an RV8 project. My neighbor at the airport is having medical issues and ask me if I'd buy his project and finish it. I've been lurking here for some time and talking about building an RV8 for a few years. I guess timing is everything. I'm going to get it done so he can fly in it.

Me:
Retired Army pilot, current SWA pilot.

Stats:
QB fuselage 2012 (about 25% complete)
Slow build wings started 2010 (about 85% complete) built with 5gal aux tanks in tip.
Empennage is complete.

Engine - Aero Sport Power IO-360-M1S (180+ HP) with SDS electronic ignition and EFI. Still need a prop.

Avionics - Dual GRT EX sport, VP-X sport, Stratus ESG (ADS-B out/in), GMA240 audio, GRT200 VHF, GRT autopilot. Need to call GRT and see if I can add a GTN-175 GPS.

Questions:
1) I had an EAA Tech advisor look over the project (he was impressed). Do I need to pay him, tip him or buy his gas?

2) Prop options (is this going to open a can of worms)? I was thinking hartzell BA, 72" or 74"?

3) Can the GRT be upgraded from VFR to IFR? I'd like to add a WAAS GPS or can it use the WAAS GPS from the ESG Stratus transponder?

4) The kit has one piece grove gear. Can't find anything in the forums about them. Pros/cons?

Thanks,

Jeff Parker
RV8 - Building
C195 - Flying
2019 dues paid

Last edited:
Questions:
1) I had an EAA Tech advisor look over the project (he was impressed). Do I need to pay him, tip him or buy his gas?

2) Prop options (is this going to open a can of worms)? I was thinking hartzell BA, 72" or 74"?

1) I'd probably throw the inspector a tip or pay him for his time unless he's a really close friend, in which case I'd buy him dinner or a few beers :)
If nothing else, you're letting him know you appreciate his help in the pre-purchase.

2) C/S is a great choice for the RV-8, but do keep in mind your CG is already pretty far forward when flying solo. The lighter the better IMO.

If you're not completely set on C/S, I DO have a Sensenich RV prop (72x85) for 180hp engines for sale at a very reasonable price including spinner, spacer, and mounting hardware. Just a thought.

If you're not completely set on C/S, I DO have a Sensenich RV prop (72x85) for 180hp engines for sale at a very reasonable price including spinner, spacer, and mounting hardware. Just a thought.

Doug,

Thank you for the info. I?ll keep your prop in mind. Right now I?m planning on a C/S prop.

Thanks

Jeff-

Congratulations on the new project.

I am building a 7A, so far from an 8 expert, but you might want to look at the Hartzell composite C/C prop. It is relatively close in weight to an fixed pitch aluminum prop set up. Unfortunately, that comes at the cost of almost $15K (with spinner) vs the alu BA Hartz at $8300.

I chose to go this route, but can't give you first hand experience yet as my prop is still sitting in the hangar begging to be hung (as soon as that cowl gets done).

A fellow VAF member did a good write up - http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=166153&highlight=hartzell+composite

Good luck! Should be a fun project for you.

Dan

Welcome!

We're on the extraordinary slow build path to a 10. It's depressing, exhausting, frustrating, and exhilarating. Who could ask for more?!

Best of luck!
Mike

Hello,

It's official, I'm the owner of an RV8 project.

4) The kit has one piece grove gear. Can't find anything in the forums about them. Pros/cons?

Congrats on your project.
The reason you haven't found much about a grove one piece gear is because you have yourself a real unicorn there!

Back