What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Show us the status of your RV-4 project!

RV Fastback Progress...well, some!

I keep on plugging away at my RV project, somedays I don't know why I started one (cowling, baffling, carb intake...&%$#&*!!!) but other days it's worth it as the plane I imagined two years ago starts coming together.

My panel is going to be mostly digital with Dynon, Becker, Garmin and EI. It's wired but as you can see, still needs to be connected to the airplane:

http://img260.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc01426ek0.jpg

Here is the profile of my project. Sam James cowl and Van's spinner in place:

http://img161.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc01463ue1.jpg

Lastly here is the front view. It is a O-360/Hartzel BA combo..hope it isn't slow!:

http://img264.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc01464xx1.jpg

I was hoping to fly it to Sun and Fun but OSH may be more realistic???

Tailwinds!

Rejoice!!

I keep on plugging away at my RV project, somedays I don't know why I started one (cowling, baffling, carb intake...&%$#&*!!!) but other days it's worth it as the plane I imagined two years ago starts coming together.

[Tailwinds!

Jj, don't despair, please......heck you're almost there! You need to go out and celebrate because it doesn't look like there are many more rivets to drive! Hey, the glass is half full!

Hang in there......Blue skies and tailwinds to you too:)

I wonder if those could be made to fit the-8? I have always wanted to get rid of the rubber moldings for something better looking. I am waiting for someone to come up with a fiberglass fairing for that area.
Al Grajek
RV8
KLEX

Fastback RV4 meets Old HR2....

JJ,
You now have an official invitation to the swamp for SNF 08. Bring that thing down here and wring it out with some Rockets around for comparison...you're always welcome...BTW, we can have a mini 27th TASS reunion while you're here..seeya!

Smokey

Never give up :eek:)

All I can say is: Never give up! There have been a lot of up's and down's on the way, but I really had fun the first 40 hours with my RV4 in 2007, and 2008 will be even more exciting. I never felt "as one" with a machine as I did with my -4 (OK, after 4500 hours I mostly don't title it as a "machine", because as you all know, it has become a big part of your life....) In short terms: The Lady ROCKS! Imagine: Taxiing aside a 70 year old Messerschmitt Bf 108, and the ME-pilot starts to ask YOU about YOUR aircraft.....priceless
Cheers from Germany, Dirk
rv4_deees13.jpg

Thanks for the Encouragement!

Thanks everyone for the private mails and posts on this site. It is encouraging...well, to be encouraged! And then THE Doug Reeves putting my plane pictures on the Home page was very cool! Worked some more this weekend fixing a small gap in the canopy seal (I made the canopy frame of fiberglass...) and fit the LASER ignition box.

Smokey, I'd LOVE to make it to the Swamp this spring (have my other visits been 'unofficial'??? ;) ) but it will take some crazy work to make it happen, and the Air Force job keeps getting in my way!!!

Anyway, thanks everyone and looking forward to flying with ya'll soonest!

James 'Jj' Johnson (name provided!!!)

Progress is accelerating!

It has been a bit quiet on the -4 board recently, so an update to liven things up.

Suddenly progress seems to be accelerating. Each time I go out to my w'shop I make a big step forward and the box of bits is becoming quite empty. The major task left to do is complete the cutting of the panel and the majority of the wiring.

There are a few snags I will have to go back to but I am beginning to imagine flying a -4.

For pictures click here: http://gikonhome.blogspot.com/2008/02/carb-heat-breather-and-oil-cooler.html#links

Very close indeed!!

Nice, Steve,
Yesterday Brian and I flew to Augusta, Ga. to visit the Tower and so he could see the screens in the Approach control room and watch the controllers doing their thing.

On arrival in the -4, the line guys came out and ooohed and ahhhed over the airplane and the Sterba wooden prop. This, despite the fact that there were a dozen Lears, Citations and Grumman bizjets, they were all over the -4..:)

The only event that took the chocolate coating off was the arrival of an F-18 for gas...took 1054 gallons:eek: we mused over taking on 22:D. As soon as he left, the eyes were back on the -4..

Yep guys...it's all worth it

Keep on keeping on,

A spring day in the UK...

Hi Steve,

I did a low pass through London this week on a whirlwind return from South Africa. My only regret was not being able to get up to your place and visit...next time.

As far as your -4 goes, I'm chuffed!

Rob Ray

Chuffed!

Hi Rob! S Africa sounds more fun that North Yorkshire, but you are always welcome to stop by. Besides, you will be here soon to witness my and G-IKON's first takeoff :)

Mind if you knew how things are in Yorkshire you might be put off.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VLYpKGVBUg

This is how it is really:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4OVakmsmPw

Glad you like the big tyres. I guess I will never know how much of an improvement they make.

Instrumentation on G-IKON all up and running today. Still a million small jobs though.

I'm chuffed too. Cheers, Steve.

Last edited:
Firewall forward is nearly complete.

I am very close to finishing in front of the firewall, so a quick update is appropriate. The back end is 99% together. I am waiting on some electrical parts in front of the panel that I have been let down on, and then its time to put the wings back on.

Here is what I have been working on today.

The end is in sight!

Very cool Bruce!

Very cool looking Bruce, am looking forward to seeing it in person! Something about the Fastback that just seems....FAST!

Beautiful....

......tattered checkers! I really like that treatment. Kindly keep us informed of your progress,

Thanks,

Eye Catcher!

Steve,
You continue to be an inspiration! Beautiful job! I just finished pressure testing my right (last) fuel tank and will start my fuselage jig construction this weekend.
I just noticed that you installed your pitot on the right hand side and wondered your reason?

G-IKON weight and CofG

Steve,
I just noticed that you installed your pitot on the right hand side and wondered your reason?

Bill, to answer your question....ignorance! I did realise before I finished, but by then the hole was drilled and I had planned to use the left wing for the magnetometer and had run the conduits appropriately. Yes its unconventional but not an issue.

I weighed it today and it has weighed in at 974lbs, but since I have included the canopy cover and 2 headsets which will always be with me, that is 970lbs without.

For comparison it is complete with paint etc. Its an O-320, 2-blade c/s MT prop, oversize tyres which weigh a little extra, Odyssey battery on the firewall, and the heavier grade empenage skins.

I have no lights, day/VFR only in the UK, except for a strobe on the fin. Becki Orndorf supplied her very comfortable RV4 seats and I added VANS 5pt belts back and front.

The panel is reasonably simple, though the ACS3400 does everything, and I probably saved quite a bit of weight here.

The canopy is (hopefully) held on with Sikaflex. that probably weighs rather more than the rivets it replaced.

Finally, I have worked with the PFA (now LAA) to allow me to use dual P-mags. This will be the first Lycoming type engine in the UK approved for the use of dual electronc ignition, even though it is old hat elsewhere. This will have saved me a little more weight.

So far my inspector has signed his name to this project 51 times though he has a few to go yet! (And you thought it was the flow of air over a cambered surface that keeps planes in the air. The LAA and CAA know otherwise....its signatures. I bet BA038 was short of one! Fortunately the LAA dont ask you to carry the signatures on board.)

All in all I am pretty happy with the result. I had set my heart on getting below 990 and I have a 20lbs margin. You can see my ramblings re weight here.

It will allow me, my other half, full fuel, 50 lbs of luggage and still be inside the 1500 lbs design limit.

PS The CofG is at 68.1"

Be Sure To Recalibrate

Steve,
Since you put the pitot on the other wing remember to recalibrate for right hand air speed. It's been too long since I had to do that so I'll have to do refresh my memory on the process.

G-IKON flew today.

I guess this is where my project turns to an aeroplane, so last posting in this section.

G-IKON made her first 3 takeoffs today, I went along for the ride. I have put a few pictures and some info here.
or click at the link at the bottom where it says "Build log here".

PS While I think of it, thank you to everyone who has answered my dumb questions.

Excellent news

The RV 4 is close to being my all time favourite aeroplane..Except the Spitfire of course..:)

Frank..The ex-pat Brit living "over here"

Outstanding, Steve!

You've been very generous with your build site, info and encouragement so it's spectacular to see yours in the air! Hope you don't mind me saying that I'm just a little glad you need to tweak it because I learn so much from your experience and documentation. Again Steve, congratulations!

'Spectacular in the air' does not do the -4 justice.

Thanks for the nice comments. 'Spectacular in the air' does not do the -4 justice. My grin is 10 times bigger than when my -9a first flew. Just remember build it light. I am looking forward to see just how fast it will climb. It was going everywhere at an indicated 180mph yesterday.

Well I am glad someone is pleased that I now have some tweeks to do. I am not, but I am highly amused by your comment Bill. Yours will be perfect!

The blog is just a bit of fun. When I started no one had done much of one for a -4. I was always trying to find pictures, so this is/was my offering. It has helped me winkle lots of info out of others.

I have been looking at all the EFIS engine management info today. It is really interesting and I will post some if I find out how to post an excel spreadsheet. It confirms that I had the power in to run in the engine and all the Ps and Ts were about right.

Progress with test flying G-IKON....and a couple of questions.

Awesome Steve, now I am really CHUFFED!

Smokey
HR2

Thanks Smokey. I am certainly chuffed. I was disapointed when I first flew my -9a, the -4 is certainly awsesome. The roll rate and agility fantastic, but then a pussycat for landing.

A brief third flight this morning before a warm front and drizzle arrived.

Todays big step forward was finding out that I do not have a heavy left wing, I just need a trim tab or wedge on the rudder. At the moment with a firm pressure on right rudder and the ailerons balance up.

The oil has largely decided its time to stop messing up the bottom of the fuse' and remain in the engine, but the gascolator is determined to seep fuel past the drain valve.

Cooling is not a problem, the CHT remaining below 400F, but I will have to start blanking the cooler to get the oil temps up. This is typical of RV4...overcooling? The oil pressure remains VERY high and I am struggling to decide if it is the engine or instrumentation. Because of the very flat top to the oil pressure I presume it is in fact the engine controlling the pressure at 104psi. If anyone in the RV4 community understands engines I would be grateful for their insight. Does the pressure relief valve normally open around that pressure? Is the cooler in peril?

I am also struggling to understand why the two dyno runs it did each for half an hour at 2600rpm it shows pressures/temps of 76/145 and 70/130, but in my aircraft on a lighter (80 grade) oil the pressure has risen to 104 at the 160/170F range. Anyone?

If you are interested I have put a graph of how it is behaving on its third flight here.

As to speed she seems to be chugging along at about 180mph, but then the ASI is not calibrated, and I guess if I go up to 8000' where VANS quotes his numbers there will be less to stop me. VNE comes up very rapidly once I start gently downhill. Its hard to kep the >75% power in then.

For anyone considering 320.v.360, I am more than happy with 320.

Pressure is on...

Steve,
For this one I consulted a Lycoming builder near me who has built literally thousands of them for airboats. During break in (1st 20-40 hours) the oil pressure can and will reach 100 psi even reaching 110, especially if it's cool and you're running straight weight, non multi vis oil. Since you are breaking in, the straight mineral oil will do that when it's cold, and even when it's warm on start-up. The pressure sensor does open at a preset pressure, washers on the end of a spring.
Keep flying it, do some extended climbs to help seat the rings (notable oil temp and CHT drop). Yes, some RV4's run cool on oil, especially if it's cool where you live. A spring day in the UK...:) The RV4 I just delivered had an 0-360/Hartzell and the oil ran 190F CHT's averaged 375-390, tightly cowled Aerosport power with 9.4:1 comp. My 0-320 ran cool as well, your numbers will be much more manageable after 50 hours. For now, keep doing what you're doing, sounds like you have done exceedingly well...

Smokey

Almost there....

Finishing the wing tips and a custom carb intake. Other than that it's ready to be inspected! O-360 A1A, cs prop, HR Turtledeck.

exteriora7108gj5.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Canopy in taxi position...

.020 Rudder & Elevators....

Leather, Fabric & Embroidery.....

Empennage Fairings....

Fuse/Flap Fairing....

Wing Fairing.....

4 Progress

I?m so jealous, I was done once, now I start again, and wishing I was as far as you are. The turtle deck looks great! One of the mods I will do. Will you be at OSH this year? Next? Is there a picture of your panel?

Looks great.

Randy.

Panel by request

Sorry, won't be at Oshkosh this year....

Here's the panel

GT50 Chrono/G Meter, Van's AS, Garmin 296, TruTrac ADI, VSI, Trim, XCOM 760, Microair Transponder, AIM-1 EMS, TL Elektronic Alt, Compass

Best of the best...

Bill, Nicely done!
Fastback+clean panel+180 constant speeeeed+long gear=Baby Rocket!
You're going to LOVE it!

Smokey
HR2

Trim Mechanism

Bill, this shot shows a small handle below the quadrant
- I assume that is for manual elevator trim?
Did you make this yourself or is this something that can be purchased?
Do you have any pics of the mechanism?

You can email me at [email protected]

Last edited:
Almost there....

First engine start on Saturday....can't say enough about Penn Yan and their engine builds. 0-360 A1A (ECI major components w/ Lycoming cylinders), Plasma II ignition. Very smooth!
Mel's coming the 10th to do the inspection...I'm taking some flight time with Alex in his 6 just to brush up. First flight maybe next week...gotta wait for a cool morning though...it's been 100+ degrees almost every day now and that's just too hot!

enginestartc8208wb0.jpg

enginestartb8208so1.jpg

enginestartd8208lm4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome!

Awesome Bill! While at OSH last week was thinking MAYBE next year we could have a coupl more FASTBACK -4s there....hopefully mine will be one of them. Hopefully 'sticking' the wings on mine this month and getting the electrical done so can 'first start' too.

Keep up the great work and good luck with the upcoming inspection!

This weekend has been packed with RV activity in my house. My wife left for the weekend with her best friend and I am all by my self. So, airplane building has been a priority. I am sure that it would have been less painful to install the engine mount and engine if I had some help me but it all worked out. Seems like I spent all day trying to install the six engine mount bolts and four engine bolts. About 20 minutes of that time was spent trying to put a washer between the firewall and the engine mount. All I kept saying to myself was patience grasshopper. The engine is a mid time O320 B2B that I pulled from an RV that was ground looped. The result is shown below. I am so happy right now.

232323232%7Ffp43249%3Enu%3D323%3A%3E4%3B2%3E%3B%3C9%3EWSNRCG%3D3233877%3B69%3A79nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp4324%3A%3Enu%3D323%3A%3E4%3B2%3E%3B%3C9%3EWSNRCG%3D3233877%3B6888%3Anu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp43244%3Enu%3D323%3A%3E4%3B2%3E%3B%3C9%3EWSNRCG%3D3233877%3B68899nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp43244%3Enu%3D323%3A%3E4%3B2%3E%3B%3C9%3EWSNRCG%3D3233877%3B69%3A87nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp43249%3Enu%3D323%3A%3E4%3B2%3E%3B%3C9%3EWSNRCG%3D3233877%3B688%3A6nu0mrj

My GREAT Day!!!

Mel came by....N369BF is no longer just a pile of parts on wheels....

pinkslipa81008mr2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I'm trying to get another 1.5 hrs transition with Alex....really haven't flown much since selling my 6A, but my first flight will be soon! Pictures will be coming for sure.

Bill,
Congratulations on getting your 4 done! I can't wait for you to get it in the air and join us for our breakfast "missions". Hopefully you will be able to get your time with Alex knocked out this week so that we can fly this Sunday. Alex us usually very accomodating with the schedule.
I am currently in the Florida Keys, but should be back by Sunday.

The BIG Day - - Finally Flying

A few technical delays and a long planned vacation put my first flight off a bit, but I finally found myself in the air in N369BF yesterday morning (Sunday the 5th).
All went as planned with only a couple of small glitches...heavy left wing and a radio problem.
The takeoff was really incredible. My 6A had the same engine/prop combo
(180 hp & Hartzell cs), and the two planes weigh nearly the same, but 69BF was airborne in the blink of an eye...and climb out was effortless and smooth!

I don't have much in the way of statistics, but I believe she's going to be pretty fast once the fairings and wheel pants are on.

A special thanks to Jay and Carol for providing the "chase" and camera duties! This is the second time Jay has flown chase for me and I highly recommend him as he is virtually invisible so you dont' have to think about where that "other" plane is, but he is right there making sure things are in order! Very professional for sure....

firstflightb10508ie4.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Hey... This is really FUN!!!

Chase plane driver, Jay Pratt and a pretty happy me... (p.s. The three fingers is not a gang sign, just the number of planes I've built...LOL)

The BIG DAY!

Bill, congratulations! I am delighted for you.

The best bit about a -4 is after 33hrs its still as fun as the first flight. Keep posting us on your progress.

Steve.

PS Most of my heavy left wing went away with a trim on the rudder.

Then Emp. is finished!!

Well, I have owned the kit for 17 months, but after a HOT summer and a COLD winter at the old house / garage, I have moved. The new garage has been remodeled, insulated, and is cozy year round. It took about 6 months of actual work to get the tail done!

Hopefully the pic will send. I haven't posted a pic on here yet.

http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/4579/itsfinishedce7.jpg

Gregg J. Brightwell
Independence, KS
-4 emp.... complete!
Saving $$ for wings

Last edited:
Well this vacation has been nice. My Mom and dad came into town for about a week. My dad has been going crazy because he wanted to work on the airplane. So we have done that plus took the 140 out for a few hours. The pics below show the work we did with the "fastback" RV-4. I am not a big guy (5 11 and 165 lbs wet), but got stuck in the tail cone more than I can count with both hands. I almost gave the drill motor to my 3 year old niece and put her to work. BTW, Make fun all you want about my safety glasses but I love them:D

232323232%7Ffp4324%3B%3Enu%3D323%3A%3E4%3B2%3E%3B%3C9%3EWSNRCG%3D3233%3C464%3A9426nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp43246%3Enu%3D323%3A%3E4%3B2%3E%3B%3C9%3EWSNRCG%3D3233%3C464%3A9%3C86nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp43252%3Enu%3D323%3A%3E4%3B2%3E%3B%3C9%3EWSNRCG%3D3233%3C464%3A942%3Cnu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp4336%3B%3Enu%3D323%3A%3E4%3B2%3E%3B%3C9%3EWSNRCG%3D3233%3C464%3A943%3Anu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp43348%3Enu%3D323%3A%3E4%3B2%3E%3B%3C9%3EWSNRCG%3D3233%3C464%3A9%3C%3A9nu0mrj

Pics of the canopy installation. It came from Todd. I can't tell you enough how nice that guy is and how accommodating he was with my order. The canopy frame did not fit at all and I had cut it in numerous places. I am not done fitting the canopy to the frame, but it is on the way.

The frame was off about an inch on the front left
232323232%7Ffp43347%3Enu%3D323%3A%3E4%3B2%3E%3B%3C9%3EWSNRCG%3D3233%3C464%3A%3A%3A%3A%3Anu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp43372%3Enu%3D323%3A%3E4%3B2%3E%3B%3C9%3EWSNRCG%3D3233%3C464%3B3%3B5%3Cnu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp43359%3Enu%3D323%3A%3E4%3B2%3E%3B%3C9%3EWSNRCG%3D3233%3C464%3B3%3B76nu0mrj

Aft support cut to accomodate the "fastback"
232323232%7Ffp43372%3Enu%3D323%3A%3E4%3B2%3E%3B%3C9%3EWSNRCG%3D3233%3C464%3B3%3B55nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp43374%3Enu%3D323%3A%3E4%3B2%3E%3B%3C9%3EWSNRCG%3D3233%3C464%3B3%3B94nu0mrj

RV-4 FB Wings On This Weekend!

With some help from some friends got the wings attached this weekend! Also have pretty much finished the painting. So now about 90% done with 90% to go!

My RV-4 Fastback particulars, so far:

Harmon Fastback Kit
Sam James Cowl
Todd Canopy
Homemade fiberglass canopy frame
0-360 with Hartzel BA prop
4 inch longer front cockpit
Dynon 100/VM1000/Becker radios/496
Self designed/made leather seats

2+ years build time and counting!

jjrv4wingson11jan09002xj2.jpg
[/

jjrv4wingson11jan09004xt9.jpg
[/

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Bill!

Thanks Bill! I will do that. The 'JOB' thing keeps getting in the way of getting done but suddenly it seems like soon! I have to finish wiring the VM1000 and associated sensors then should be ready to start the motor for the first time.

RV-4 Fastback formation flight to OSH 09????

Back