What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Nosewheel tire

rwarre

Well Known Member
About a week ago I replaced my nosewheel tire and tube and when I went to the hangar today the tire was flat. I ordered a couple new tubes from Desser, but I am trying to decide if I need to take out the tube that I put in or is there another reason why it went flat. I was extremely careful to not pinch the tube when I put it in,but I only put in 35 lb of pressure. Since there was no stress on the front wheel except for the weight of the plane, I wouldn?t thnik it would go flat. Any suggestions?

I found the inset in the valve stem was lose on one of my tubes. I tightened it and it solved the slow leak. When I was doing triathlons, 1 in about every 5 or so tubes had a faulty valve in the stem. Worth checking.

I once found the valve stem bent slightly to the side. My valve caps have a small ridge around the inside that touched the end of the bent valve stem and let the air out. Straightened the stem and no problem since.

I bet it got pinched. Those are difficult to do without pinching. All 3 tires on my lancair are the size of your nose wheel tire so I have changed many. I take a strip of thin cardboard or thick paper about 2 inch wide by 12 inches long and place it between the tire inside and the rim half from one side of the valve stem to the other side of the valve stem. Then I slide the other rim half on. The paper prevents the rim half from pinching the tube.

Back