- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Avionics / Interiors / Fiberglass > GPS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2018, 08:16 PM

Default GMX 40/42 Compatibility With Area 660

Question for G3Expert

The Area 660 manual lists the GXM 40/42 antennas as compatible SiriusXM devices on page 138. Can you confirm this information? I have not seen any other reference to the GXM 40 antenna working with the 660.

Thanks!
Bill
Eagle II N92CE (sold)
Hiperbipe N777HT (sold)
PA22-160 N9322D (sold)
Old 01-31-2018, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglen92ce View Post
Question for G3Expert

The Area 660 manual lists the GXM 40/42 antennas as compatible SiriusXM devices on page 138. Can you confirm this information? I have not seen any other reference to the GXM 40 antenna working with the 660.

Thanks!
Bill
Hello Bill,

Sorry, too much copy/paste from the Aera 796 manual. The Aera 660 can use GDL 51/51R and GDL 52/52R SXM music/weather receivers.

Thanks,
Steve
Please email us for support instead of using Private Messaging due to the limitations of the latter.
Old 02-03-2018, 08:35 PM

Can I use Garmin Topo maps on an Aera 660?
If so will the aviation database (airports, navaids, etc) show overlaid over the topo map?
The Garmin Topo product no is:

PART NUMBER: 010-C1049-00
Old 02-21-2018, 01:05 PM

Default Fuel Flow EI FP5L

Steve,

I have a Electronic International FP5L fuel flow device installed in my aircraft. Now I want to linkup the area660 with the FP5L. The manual says the following:

10. (FP-5L Only) Connect the RS-232/422 Input Lines:
Connecting the FP-5L Input Lines to a compatible GPS unit allows the FP-5L to display Fuel to Destination, Fuel Reserve, Nautical Miles per Gallon and Statute Miles per Gallon information. The FP-5L has three GPS Receive Formats: 1. "In1" for all panel mount GPS units (9600 baud); 2. "In2" for Northstar (1200 baud); 3. "In3" for hand held GPS units (NEMA at 4800 baud). The protocol is 1 start bit, 8 data bits and 1 stop bit and the RS-232 update time of the GPS unit should be 1 to 2 seconds. The GPS unit may require some setup. You may want to contact a knowledgeable instrument shop or the GPS factory to help with the hookup and setup of the GPS unit. See the "Power-Up Programmable Settings" section in the FP-5(L) Operating Instructions to configure the FP-5L RS-232 input.

My area660 output configuration is setup to: Aviation In NMEA & VHF Out
to support SL40 protocol and a wing levler.

Do you think this configuration works with the FP5L as well?

Thanks for your help!

Best regards
gFlyer
Old 02-22-2018, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gFlyer View Post
Steve,

I have a Electronic International FP5L fuel flow device installed in my aircraft. Now I want to linkup the area660 with the FP5L. The manual says the following:

10. (FP-5L Only) Connect the RS-232/422 Input Lines:
Connecting the FP-5L Input Lines to a compatible GPS unit allows the FP-5L to display Fuel to Destination, Fuel Reserve, Nautical Miles per Gallon and Statute Miles per Gallon information. The FP-5L has three GPS Receive Formats: 1. "In1" for all panel mount GPS units (9600 baud); 2. "In2" for Northstar (1200 baud); 3. "In3" for hand held GPS units (NEMA at 4800 baud). The protocol is 1 start bit, 8 data bits and 1 stop bit and the RS-232 update time of the GPS unit should be 1 to 2 seconds. The GPS unit may require some setup. You may want to contact a knowledgeable instrument shop or the GPS factory to help with the hookup and setup of the GPS unit. See the "Power-Up Programmable Settings" section in the FP-5(L) Operating Instructions to configure the FP-5L RS-232 input.

My area660 output configuration is setup to: Aviation In NMEA & VHF Out
to support SL40 protocol and a wing levler.

Do you think this configuration works with the FP5L as well?

Thanks for your help!

Best regards
gFlyer
Hello gFlyer,

When you select an RS-232 protocol on the Aera 660, the bottom of that page explains the protocol, and the explanation for the Aviation In/NMEA & VHF Out explains that this protocol uses 9600 baud.

If your fuel flow gadget only supports NMEA at 4800 baud, then you can't use the protocol you have selected.

You have 2 serial ports, and there is a NMEA 4800 selection if your second serial port isn't already doing something more important.

Steve
Please email us for support instead of using Private Messaging due to the limitations of the latter.
Old 02-26-2018, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjtjrt View Post
Can I use Garmin Topo maps on an Aera 660?
If so will the aviation database (airports, navaids, etc) show overlaid over the topo map?
The Garmin Topo product no is:

PART NUMBER: 010-C1049-00
Hello rjtjrt,

We loaded this topo database on an Aera 660, and it seems to work. And yes, the navigation waypoints are drawn on top.

We hope you like a lot of clutter on your map!

Thanks,
Steve
Old 02-26-2018, 01:52 PM

Thanks Steve.
Old 03-07-2018, 03:39 PM

@G3Expert(Steve),

Aero News Net is running a story today that the Connext interface is being rolled out for the benefit of FltPlan.com and FltPlanGo users... Allowing connectivity to Garmin devices to transfer ADS-B info, etc.

Will that connectivity extend to connecting a FltPLanGo tablet to the Aera 660?
Will the Aera 660 receive and display ADS-B data from a FltPlanGo tablet that's getting ADS-B info from a third-party device connected to the tablet? Stratux/Stratus, etc.
Old 03-07-2018, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
@G3Expert(Steve),

Aero News Net is running a story today that the Connext interface is being rolled out for the benefit of FltPlan.com and FltPlanGo users... Allowing connectivity to Garmin devices to transfer ADS-B info, etc.

Will that connectivity extend to connecting a FltPLanGo tablet to the Aera 660?
Will the Aera 660 receive and display ADS-B data from a FltPlanGo tablet that's getting ADS-B info from a third-party device connected to the tablet? Stratux/Stratus, etc.
Hello Rob,

Good question. Not sure whether or not it will connect to the Aera 660. If I find out more, I will update.

One additional FltPlan Go note. If you look at the Compatible Devices tab for the GDL 50/51/52, you will note that FltPlan Go supports receiving ADS-B traffic/weather, GPS, and attitude data from the GDL 50/52.

Thanks,
Steve
Old 03-18-2018, 01:22 AM

In Australia there is currently an trial SBAS signal being transmitted across the entire country.
Yes, we are just now getting into the 20th century here!!
Our penny pinching gov has avoided the cost of SBAS till now.
Apparently “it started in JUN 17 and will run until JUN 19. However it has been deemed not to be used for operational purposes and so the safety of life message has been set to '0'. This means that all certified hardware is ignoring the signal. The safety of life message needs to be set to '1' for you to receive the signal. All 'un-certified' hardware (ie smartphones, satnav, hand held units) can read and use the signal.”

My question is will a Garmin Aera 660 pick up and use an SBAS correction if the Safety of life message has been set to ‘0’?

Also, on a completely separate issue, does turning off wifi and/or Bluetooth on the 660 make the battery last longer before needing to be recharged, when used for navigation?

Last edited by rjtjrt : 03-18-2018 at 02:35 AM.