What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Diiferences between Vans Recommended and Vendor Kits

Smorgasf16

I'm New Here
Hello Everyone. First post here and a future RV-8 builder. I am in the proces of purchasing tools and have noticed some differences in what Vans recommends for tools and what vendors have in their kits. For example, in drill bits, Vans recommends #40, #30, #19, #12, #21, and #6 dril bits where as Brown Tool also lists a #27 and 1/4" bits but omits the #6. Also, Vans lists a 6 piece threaded drill bit set but mentions no sizes. Brown also added 5/32" and 3/16" Clecos as well. The countersinks differ between Vans and Brown Tool as well. Can anyone speak to these differences between Vans and the Vendors?

You will need all those and more.

The starter tool kits are just that, starter kits. You will continue to add to your tool box throughout the entire build.

this.^
My latest addition is a band saw.

And I just replaced the el cheap-o 14" three wheel bandsaw I used during my build with a 1950's early 1960's Rockwell Delta bandsaw last summer. It is like a production saw but sized for the home shop!

Agree with the responses so far.
If I may add 2 cents...
Back when I started building, I agonized over the tool kit differences between the vendors (Van didn't publish a list at the time). I went so far as to make detailed spreadsheets of the various offerings and priced the individual parts that were different between them so I could make an "apples to apples" comparison. The differences ended up being insignificant. I happened to end up buying from Cleaveland because we met them at Oshkosh, Mike is also a Vans Builder, and they were nice folks. I've heard and read good things about the other vendors also.
Bottom line: You're going to buy a lot of stuff and establish a years long relationship with your tool supplier(s). Pick a kit that comes close to what you need and buy additional items as you need them from the same folks if they have what you need.
Do not buy cheap tools, they will only frustrate you and yield poor quality work e.g. my $99 band saw was almost worse than useless!
Enjoy your build and the satisfaction that comes with having a safe and high quality aircraft!

Agree with the responses so far.
If I may add 2 cents...
!

To Dave's spot on advice, I'd add this:
read the plans closely in advance, for what you will need, when.

As I slowly work my way thru the empennage, I read ahead chapters ahead, both to start my slow peanut of a brain thinking about what's coming... and to spot new tool requirements.
Having a tool to hand is much better than stop, hunt, order, wait for delivery...

Cleaveland

I bought my tool kit the end of last year.

I called and talked to various suppliers and was more impressed with Cleaveland. I looked into buying the 'starter' kit vs the standard kit, and there wasn't much price difference, since there are only a few tools you'll need for wings and fuselage that you don't need for the emmpange kit. Being pretty sure that I'd continue building plus the second set of shipping costs I opted for the full kit.

I am putting the skins on my RV-7 now, and there is one or two instances when it would have been nice to have a tool that wasn't included in the kit. Right now countersinking the bolt for counter weights is the only thing I can thin of. 4 holes. On line there are ways to do this with out the dies, or you could borrow from local fellow RV builders.

I'm pretty familiar with tools, but rivets guns were beyond me. Between that and adding in my time researching it was easier to buy a whole kit.

The kit also comes with a great sheet metal training tool, that will get you to try different techniques. The two items that threw me a little, was the rivet tape was actually just a a particular variety of desk top scotch tape and an office tape dispenser. The other was the sharpies, I received black and would have preferred blue. I had a few tin snips, but still opted for the new ones included in the kit. I am using these and have actually had a few builders tell me that they use a variety of colors for marking, and in fact I had already started. The cost of these 2 items are probably very comparable to buying local.

I have had more than one builder remark that they were jealous of the quality of tools that I received vs the kits they had around the they started.
The other thing I learned talking to other builders, and the various suppliers is that the recommended tool list on Van's site is not necessarily up today.

No experience with the tool kits form other vendors, but I would recommend Cleaveland, If you decide you know exactly what tools they are talking about, Cleaveland can modify the kit to suit your needs, but thus far I am very happy that I ordered the full kit.

Good luck

When Avery's was still in business, I bought as much as I could from them.

I remember as I was getting close to the end of the the fuselage, I called and ordered a bunch of drill bits and made the comment that with that order I was done buying tools for my project.

The young lady in the phone had the audacity to laugh at me.

Sure enough, the next week when I called to order another specialty tool, she reminded me of my comment the week early.

I've been flying for 11 years and I'm still buying new tools every so often.

In the end, you'll wind up with all the same tools as everyone else does. So dont worry so much about who's starter kit you buy, just buy one and you'll discover what else you need as you start your build. Dont worry.

You'll want to be in a great rush to build when you start (and thats normal and even desired), but try to take a breath and if you need another/new tool, order it, and start working on some other part of the build until said tool arrives.

Ive bought tools and supplies from everyone. Part of building is spending time with the computer researching stuff....and buying. It never truly stops, but does slow.

And buy extra #40s, #30s, 3/32" and 1/8" drills. You'll beat the heck outta those specific sizes (esp the smaller ones!) and they arent even remotely worth trying to sharpen.

All above advice is good. If you remotely think you might need a tool, buy it. There will be times building is stalled while waiting for a $5 tool to arrive that cost $10 to ship.
In addition to the list, get a Dremel tool. I?ve gone through two building an -8. Also a angle drill will be needed later in the build, keep an eye out for a used one. You won?t need it a lot but when you do... Get a drill set, both letter and number drills. You won?t need them all for a RV but they are so handy for other jobs.

Tools

+1 what they said. You don't know what you don't know so a good builder set of tools will get you a great start. Personally, I rarely finish a hole with a regular drill bit. Reamers are my preference so I use lots of odd size bits to get close then ream to final dimension. A full set of bits will get used. I love those threaded bits. One of the few times I drill final size with a drill bit. Usually in a 90 degree adapter. There are tons of other nice to have tools. Washer wrench set is worth it's weight in gold trying to get a washer on a bolt in a tight space. Wedgelock clekos are the best. A few (20) of the odd size clekos are really handy.
A few hours with a Mentor will help you decide and lighten up that bank account! :D

+1 what they said. You don't know what you don't know so a good builder set of tools will get you a great start. Personally, I rarely finish a hole with a regular drill bit. Reamers are my preference so I use lots of odd size bits to get close then ream to final dimension. A full set of bits will get used. I love those threaded bits. One of the few times I drill final size with a drill bit. Usually in a 90 degree adapter. There are tons of other nice to have tools. Washer wrench set is worth it's weight in gold trying to get a washer on a bolt in a tight space. Wedgelock clekos are the best. A few (20) of the odd size clekos are really handy.
A few hours with a Mentor will help you decide and lighten up that bank account! :D

LOL. Youve mentioned a bunch of tools I've never heard of much less used, 6 yrs on in my build.

To the OP, you'll never stop learning new tricks and techniques. Guess I better get out the computer and do some buying too! :)

Back