What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-4 drivers...where did you mount your GDL 39?

Dean Pichon

Well Known Member
I finally gave up on my Anywhere Map. Right before OSH, I bought the Garmin Pilot app for my Samsung Galaxy tablet. After seeing how much I was missing (in terms of features) by not using an iPad, I bought an iPad 4 Mini the day after I got home.

Now, I see a GDL 39 in my future. For you guys with -4s and using the GDL 39, where did you mount it?

Thanks in advance,

I'm not using a GDL, but a Stratus. I mounted it via suction cup on the turtle deck behind the passenger seat. Stays cool while flying but I have to remember to remove it when parked so it doesn't get too hot.

Remotely, in front of the panel. I wired an external dipole antenna to the belly for the ADS-B in and mine gets GPS data from the G3X hardwired via serial port.

Most folks are using the 39R for remote mounting, it has more durable connectors than the 39, but I got such a good deal I couldn't pass up the 39. So I made it work.

Are you planning on using the backup battery? With the backup battery it's a little trickier to remote mount.

Jon

I'm not using a GDL, but a Stratus. I mounted it via suction cup on the turtle deck behind the passenger seat. Stays cool while flying but I have to remember to remove it when parked so it doesn't get too hot.

That's exactly where I had mine before I went Garmin.

The original GDL39 comes with a snap in mount plate. Forward of the instrument panel imagine a horizontal plane. One edge of this plane starts at the bottom edge of the instrument panel. The plane moves forward parallel to the fuselage longeron. There are
two aluminum angles in this plane that cross the fuselage at right angles to the fore and aft line. One is about 6 inches forward of the bottom edge of the instrument panel and the other is about 9 inches forward of the bottom edge of the instrument panel. These angles support various avionics components. The mount plate for the GDL 39 is mounted on the two angles so that it accepts the GDL 39 from below. It snaps into place and requires an external antenna. ( I highly recommend the antenna from

deltapopaviation.com/Delta_Pop_Aviation/ADS-B_Antenna.html

The GDL 39 3d Is available and I cannot speak to whether an under panel installation is possible.
Pros for this kind of installation:
it is out of the way
Once powered up and setup with your device you do not need access. When I power up the panel for a new flight, I do not need turn on the power button that is on the GDL39, it is hard wired into a breaker and switch Set it and forget it.
The GDL39 has performed as advertised.

Cons
The location is a bit awkward. There are several led indicator lights to indicate function. I carry an auto parts store mirror in the RV4 With it I can see the lights. I seldom need to check these lights Early on I was not receiving stations on the iPad. Of course I thought it was the GDL39. Wrong!
It was the Bluetooth setting on the iPad

I am building a go slow and low 750 Stol Zenith. The GDL39 will be mounted in a similar fashion behind the instrument panel in this build with the delta pops antenna. There is a platform behind the hinged panel and the 39 will mounted upright. Because of the GDL39 3d and folks upgrading, used original 39?s can sometimes be had for a very good price. Also you might want to check the Nexus 7 with the Android version of Garmin Pilot. Steve Melton RV9A of airplane painting fame( see his post) compared his Nexus 7 in bright sunlight to my iPad mini. The Nexus wins hands down. So $100 later this Mac driver retired the iPad Mini from the 4 and had get used to the Android environment. It was worth it. Refurbished nexus 7 s can be had for $ 96 and up.

I've been going back and forth between the GDL 39 and the 39R. It seems neater and cleaner to use the remote mount unit, but I may only want the GDL solution for a year or two until I commit to an ADS-B (out) solution. If were to keep the 39R, I'm afraid I'll end up with a belly full of antennae. One for the transponder, one for the 39R, and a 3rd for the ADS-B out solution.

If I stick with the cockpit version, when I select an ADS-B system, I believe I will need to add only one more antenna on the belly (assuming the solution is both In and Out. (At which point I will retire the GDL-39)

I like the idea of mounting it on skin behind the rear seat (and under the canopy, but I already have a GPS antenna there and am concerned about the footprint.

GDL-39-3D MOUNTING

Hi Dean

I mounted my GDL-39-3D in the tail of my RV-4 on a shelf just beside where my Skyview AHARS is mounted. It is just behind the Cargo Bulkhead.

I then wired a Lighther outlet in the tail and connected the GDL. I'm using a belly antenna from Delta Pop..

It comes on when I swithed the avionics master on and talked to my 796 via Bluetooth..Works like a charm.

YMMV

Bruno
[email protected]

I mounted mine on a bracket on the right hand side of the canopy spreader bar.
I use the blue tooth to connect to my 795.
I have the back up battery which stays on after you shut down ship power so need to remember to turn it off after shutting down.

... I'm afraid I'll end up with a belly full of antennae. One for the transponder, one for the 39R, and a 3rd for the ADS-B out solution.

I had similar concerns, and ended up with one ADS-B in antenna (GDL 39) and one ADS-B/transponder antenna (GTX 23ES).

However at OSH Garmin released a new experimental transponder, GTX 45R, that does ADS-B in/out/connectivity to Foreflight/Garmin Pilot, pretty much everything though one little antenna, really slick! There is a slight premium for the slickness, $3500 vs $2450 for the 23ES + $639 for a GDL. I'd have gladly paid that to have one less hole in my plane.

The only bummer for some people is that unit is remote mount and requires a GTN 7/6xx, GNS 5/430W, or G3X system to control. I'm guessing there will be a lot more options like this in the coming years though, your plan of using the non-remote mounting for the GDL in the mean time is a wise one I think.

Jon

I had similar concerns, and ended up with one ADS-B in antenna (GDL 39) and one ADS-B/transponder antenna (GTX 23ES).

However at OSH Garmin released a new experimental transponder, GTX 45R, that does ADS-B in/out/connectivity to Foreflight/Garmin Pilot, pretty much everything though one little antenna, really slick! There is a slight premium for the slickness, $3500 vs $2450 for the 23ES + $639 for a GDL. I'd have gladly paid that to have one less hole in my plane.

The only bummer for some people is that unit is remote mount and requires a GTN 7/6xx, GNS 5/430W, or G3X system to control. I'm guessing there will be a lot more options like this in the coming years though, your plan of using the non-remote mounting for the GDL in the mean time is a wise one I think.

Jon

Hello Jon,

Thanks for posting this information, but just one correction.

The new GTX 35R ADS-B Out transponder and GTX 45R ADS-B In/Out transponder can only be controlled with G3X and G3X Touch systems (similar to the GTX23ES).

Customers without G3X systems wishing to get the same capability as the GTX 45R and control it from a GTN can purchase the GTX 345R transponder, which also requires just a single antenna.

Thanks,
Steve

GDL 39 3D

I have mine mounted on the -4 just aft of the back seat on the turtleneck inside the canopy. I have it hard wired to aircraft power and comes on and off automatically. I just use the attached antenna and get great reception for Wx on the Aera 660 and an IPAD mini (for cross countries) along with very stable AHARS for the synthetic vision through Bluetooth. It works fine sending to two Bluetooth enabled devices.

Hello Jon,

Thanks for posting this information, but just one correction.

The new GTX 35R ADS-B Out transponder and GTX 45R ADS-B In/Out transponder can only be controlled with G3X and G3X Touch systems (similar to the GTX23ES).

Customers without G3X systems wishing to get the same capability as the GTX 45R and control it from a GTN can purchase the GTX 345R transponder, which also requires just a single antenna.

Thanks,
Steve

Hi Steve,

I'm kind of hijacking my own thread but some of the info posted is too interesting not to pursue.

Question: Can I install a GTX 345 transponder (in lieu of my SL70) and have transponder, ADS-B Out, and ADS-B In functions, all while maintaining only one (existing) transponder antenna?

Bonus question: Can this transponder wirelessly communicate with my Garmin Pilot/iPad system to display the weather and traffic?

Thanks!

Hi Steve,

I'm kind of hijacking my own thread but some of the info posted is too interesting not to pursue.

Question: Can I install a GTX 345 transponder (in lieu of my SL70) and have transponder, ADS-B Out, and ADS-B In functions, all while maintaining only one (existing) transponder antenna?

Bonus question: Can this transponder wirelessly communicate with my Garmin Pilot/iPad system to display the weather and traffic?

Thanks!

Hello Dean,

Yes, a GTX 345 will use a single transponder antenna for ADS-B In and Out and can communicate wirelessly into the cockpit to provide attitude, traffic, and weather to aera 660/795/796 and Anroid and iOS devices running Garmin Pilot. Foreflight should also work.

Any of the aera portables can also communicate with the GTX 345 over one of the 4 serial ports.

If you have a GPS 20A, GNS 4XXW/5XXW, or GTN 6XX/7XX, that device can provide the ADS-B+ position source data to the GTX 345.

If you do not, you can purchase the GTX 345 w/GPS built-in and add a GA35 antenna for the internal WAAS GPS (second BNC connector on back of GTX 345).

There is also a small altitude sensor that attaches to the back of the rack (so static source connection stays in place when you remove the transponder from the rack) for a really complete all-in-one ADS-B In/Out device with GPS, attitude, and pressure altitude sensors.

Thanks for your interest,
Steve

Back