What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Prop balancing Aces or DynaVibe

Bob Martin

Well Known Member
I'm getting ready to install a new prop and the install manual recommends dynamic balancing before first flight.
I quick search shows Aces 1015 ProBalancer Sport and Dynavibe Classic in my price range. Meaning sub 2K instead of 5K+.
Any opinions good or bad or other options?
Or things I haven't thought of??
Thanks

I have used a DynaVibe Classic. It was easy to use, after I made a mount to fit the engine, according to their instructions.
I think you should check around to see if someone local to you has one (either brand) that you can use-rent-borrow or meet with to use together so he (she?) can play with their toy...
Unless you plan to change props on a regular basis...then, same as above, but use the experience to buy the best one for you.
After balancing props with pieces of tape and test flying, the DynaVibe was pretty awesome.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIZ0fkAuoIU

Last edited:
Local

I have used a DynaVibe Classic. It was easy to use, after I made a mount to fit the engine, according to their instructions.
I think you should check around to see if someone local to you has one (either brand) that you can use-rent-borrow or meet with to use together so he (she?) can play with their toy...
Unless you plan to change props on a regular basis...then, same as above, but use the experience to buy the best one for you.
After balancing props with pieces of tape and test flying, the DynaVibe was pretty awesome.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIZ0fkAuoIU
Scott, Thanks for your thoughts.
We don't have one local, FBO / shop doesn't have one and no EAA chapter close. There are guys that come and do it but they get 200+ to do one. There are two of us RV-6 guys in our hangar, so thinking after paying for 2 balances twice.......we would be half way to owning our own equipment and setting our own schedules.
We have had them done in years past and it looked like voodoo or magic and the operator always had a puzzled or questioning level of confidence so I thought this could be another learning experiance for me. Honestly, the more I read the FAQ's and manuals I see how an inexperianced or infrequent user could be unsure about the process or readings....:confused:

Years ago I "rented" a Dynavibe from someone on this forum, though I can not remember who. He shipped it to me and after use I shipped it back. It was pretty easy to use following the printed instructions the Dynavibe came with. My buddy showed up in his Cozy MKIV we built, 3 blade MT prop. We did that plane and my old C-152 2 blade Sensenich in a couple hours with very satisfactory results.

+ 1

This is a common problem. I talked to the guys from Dynavibe up at KOSH this year and asked the question of we can't seem to find a person out in the field that knows or seems to know how to do a good job with their boxes. I wanted to take our little 8 down to them and let the factory do a balance but was told they don't do any. That kind of shocked me, but the guys were very nice and told us that they knew it was one of those things that was a lack of currency. I was told that most of the guys at FBO's or that have a unit of any-kind did not get to drag them out but a few times a year if that much and then have to rethink how they need to use them. We too did not want to buy a unit and not use it but a few times at most. The only thing we could think of was to get a few names from the factory and look to one of those as a start. That too did not go so well. I have looked for a good prop shop that does this kind of service on the ramp all the time for GA aircraft, but have not found one close to us. Luckily we have a light wood and carbon prop that dose not seem to have a lot of vibration at flight speeds along with a very well balanced engine.
Keep us posted as you are not that far north of our home base. Check your P.M. Thanks, Yours as always, R.E.A. III # 80888

I use an Aces balancer, an older more pro version, and it has worked perfect all the years I've balanced props. I haven't used a Dynavibe so no input there. There's not much involved with balancer's, just an accelerometer and photocell you attach to the top on the engine, a piece of reflective tape to the prop, connect the computer, enter the info and start it up. The computer does the work. It takes a little learning and a bit of thinking but they aren't hard to use. One bonus is finding problems that aren't from the prop.

prop balance

The Aces 1015 ProBalancer Sport says it gives you a solution to the balance.
I've used the Aces 2020 a bunch and the solution works very well. Usually 3-4 runs and you can "nail it". Run the engine, get a baseline, then you usually add a test weight, location and weight given by the "box". 2nd run the box see the results then gives you a new solution, weight and location. 3rd run and you are there, or maybe one more run to fine tune it. Split the weights it you get too many washer on one spots (3-4). I made up a little parts box with a bunch of different washers, nuts, AN4 bolts. I would take less than 1 hour to do, not counting remove/install cowling. Looking AFT at the prop, with the reflective tape at the top and prop is vertical that hole is 0 degrees. The next hole is 30, going CW, the next hole is 60, then you just figure out the location, this always seems to be a area of confusion. (holes in lyc flywheel) Good luck report back on your results.

Purchased and Used the Aces 1015 sport that worked very well. You do need some accessory items to support that ie small electronic scale, Clamps, nuts,bolts and washers. Rechargable batteries and charger. Also the sensors will need a varity of connection hardware. I would say you could prob could invest another 750 for accessories. Be careful that you dont exceed that $200 fair price with your investment unless you want to get into the business. I later sold the 1015. FYI. but it was fun learning how its done.

Many Thanks

Thanks guys for all the info.
My conversation with our FBO AP/IA guy prompted him to purchase the ACES 1015 Sport. I had a conversation with him about me helping defer the costs for unfettered use of it. We will see how it goes, but it looks like I have a solution. All your responses help show these units were a viable solution, Thanks Again.....

A good way to learn the balancing process( with a Dynavib or Aces computer) is build yourself a small balancing "teachers aid" Use a small electric 120 VAC motor and a 8 inch circle of plexiglass or acrylic bolted up to a hub and mounted to the motor shaft. Flair tip mark the degrees and etc on the plexi and drill a bunch of holes in various places in the plexi. Use SMALL 10/32 screws and washers to create unbalance and use your new toy to balance it back out . Worked for me, and helps learn the sequence and what the machine is trying to tell you. Actually sold the aid along with the ACES Sport at some time later. Probably best to keep you motor RPMS to around 1100 ( no 3600 RPM motors)

I can give you my opinion of the dynavibe classic and the aces 1015. If you do not know that much about balancing, the aces 1015 will be easier to use. The dynavibe classic gives you raw information and you have to make the calculations. The aces will give you weight solutions and split weight solutions. With the dynavibe, you can easily proceed through the first two solutions but if you still want to try for improvement beyond that point, it gets more difficult and the math gets harder. In all of the videos i have watched on the dynavibe, they manage to attain a vibration level that is acceptable in the first two runs and never proceed beyond that. The software in both balancers allow you to take multiple samples at the press of a button. No two of any samples will be identical because of the many factors in play. Wind and prop wash is probably the biggest players involved. It is possible that the operator in those videos took multiple samples until he got a solution showing excellent results. I don't know. With the classic, you can take multiple samples, write them down, then select what looks to be the median solution. With the aces, the software allows you to either accept or reject a solution but when you resample, the previous solution is lost when you proceed. The solution you accept may not be the best solution.

If you make more than two runs with the classic, most people would probably not know how to accurately adjust the weights. You could do the math just like the aces box or the more expensive dynavibe box does but it is lengthy and you have to know how its done. The easiest method is triangular addition of vectors on a sheet of paper and you can get an excellent solution with a dynavibe classic, probably equal to or even better than the aces.

If you are having difficulties with the classic, contact me and I may be able to help. The classic is a good box but just takes a little more effort.

Last edited:
Just used Dynavibe clasic equipment when I was installing a brand new GT2V38 blades on this amazing 14A based in NJ.With 3 engine runs reached 002 IPS. Great equipment and great team.
Ciao Alex

GT-Propellers.com
https://www.facebook.com/GtProp/

e0e788d3-407b-4a93-abe8-7f534eeeebf6.jpg

b15fc18d-4eea-48f4-9718-127313ab8907.jpg

Back