What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

VAF Charity Cap Sightings

not a hat

It was snowing today and man can not live on RV's alone. So We took the grandkids snowboarding. Here's a phone pic of my board...at least I was thinking about VAF. 10" of fresh powder is almost as good as flying
IMG_20120220_142823.jpg

Balooning is flying - Right??

Becky and I about to depart on an early morning Baloon ride for her Birthday last year.

HatSighting2.jpg

oshkosh 2011

she's my bride, after 25 year of marriage

we love this community, the Mustang and the canopy of our 8 too ;)

katia_vhs.jpg

Hat Sighting - Salzburg Austria

Stopped in for a visit of the Red Bull Hanger 7 during a recent trip to Salzburg Austria.
Redbull1.jpg

Last edited:
From a land far away

I haven't been able to build for a year now. I'm on my second deployment in the last 12 months. I can't wait to get home and get going again.

VAFSighting.jpg
[/IMG]

Thanks for your service

Thanks again for your service, Kobwo. The ipad one I bought from you is still working great. Hopefully you will be home soon and back to work on your RV.

Kobwo, Thanks for you service.

What does the score card painted on the side of you plane indicate.
6 - something
2 - ground troups?

Kent

Van's Ground Force :)

IMG_1746.jpg

Photo right before the final pull out in Iraq last year. Still stuck in Kuwait for a few more weeks. Haven't been able to build for the last year :( But the building drought is almost over

Somewhere over MN

Somewhere over Minnesota after a great week at KOSH. I am in severe need of being re-domesticated.

RV-Grin.jpg

Looks like fun!

Don,
I just came off vacation myself. You have a beautiful family! Looks like a good time was had by all!

Back to riveting...

VAF Skunkworks sighting????

The prototype of the new wide brim VAF hat????

Often requested, never before delivered.

Could this be the start of something new???

VAF%2520widebrim%2520022.JPG

Note palm tree in the background, maybe somewhere in the tropics???

VAF%2520widebrim%2520024.JPG

That's Venice FLORIDA

I found this lost soul from Venice, CA wondering about New Mexico in an RV-6 and wearing a VAF hat!

DSCN2473x.jpg

OK just to set the record straight I was wandering around New Mexico after leaving Venice, Florida not CA. :)

Thanks for breakfast Jon. Had a great time but I did get a ding in my HS from a stone at Estancia's gravel runway. I was very careful to apply power slowly so that wouldn't happen but I'm guessing my left tire kicked one up anyway.

Trip write-up coming after I finally get home. I'm weathered in just North of the Florida/Georgia border.

ps. Saw your "New Mexico Sights" video. It is awesome. I really enjoyed some of the scenery while I was out there. Thanks. I didn't shoot any video.

Last edited:
Freedive spearfishing is Mexico. The two guys in the middle actually didn't get anything. The fish all belonged to the two old guys on either end. I hit 55 feet and 1:15 on a breath today...not bad for a broken old jarhead.

image_zps4a8b0325.jpg

Cape Tribulation, Queensland

VAF+Hat+Sighting.jpg

Cape Tribulation, Queensland, Australia. About as far as you can go up the North East coast without a 4 x 4. I have no idea what the sofa was doing on the beach.

hat_03.jpg

Back from the air to ground range with MB 339CD and the 30mm gun, and always with the next building step in mind.
Obviously my VAF hat is on...

Last edited:
New Ensign

e2773d7a-ae4b-4410-aa67-837b223c7ef6_zpsc9c274b4.jpg

Here's my nephew, a newly minted Ensign from Annapolis. Off to become a SEAL. My vote would have been aviation but proud just the same.

As this is my first attempt at posting a photo, hope this works

Alaska, Denali National Park

3 am, Mount McKinley, Alaska, 40 miles in the background. Highest peak in North America, 20,320' MSL. 25th Anniversary Trip.

5814945d5ed4b1ae7588b4f56eb9b0a5_zps29e43d23.jpg

Carl

Hey I recognize those hats :D With that dive trip you may have to move back your 8's first flight from Wednesday to Thursday :rolleyes:

Tony your still OK he will be 3 days behind your flight now!

I must say it was great being back in a glider again. If you get a chance to fly in one do it. It is a great feeling searching for lift to stay aloft. If you thought you could fly without rudder input then you will be quite surprised. It will not work. :)

Lake Louise

Tom and Bonnie are visiting Banff Park with Tom's new VAF hat.
b26f8b02086a592ff53f2afab24c0d5c.jpg

We have started our summer travels and have yet to find time to post a bunch of pictures.

Summit fly-in hat sighting

From this weekend at the Summit Fly-in

hatsighting.jpg

John, David, Al, & Jeff

Spotted on Joe Blank's head during the Van's photoshoot for the new SLSA-12...

Hat sighting SkyManor

VAF was represented well today at the SkyManor fly-in. Five of the 6 awards were RVs.

Picture with our VAF hats!

skymanor hat sighting.jpg

From the left Scott, Tony, David, & Mark

Last edited:
David, as I was flying home I had an idea that we should have staged the 4 trophy winners behind us and took a good group photo. Hindsight is 20/20 I guess. Anyway, what a nice surprise that my "Tweety" bird was recognized. Thanks to those fine folks at Sky Manor fly-in.

image.jpg

A few pics of my old, beat-up and original VAF hat. This was during the parade of 1000 flag. Flight of 8. New camera mount.

Vans%2520Hat%2520Sighting.png

Vans%2520Hat%2520Sighting2.png

Vans%2520Hat%2520Sighting4.png

Last edited:
Mt. Rushmore

Mary%2520%2526%2520Steve%2520at%2520Mt%2520Rushmore.jpg

Mary and I were able to make it to Mt. Rushmore while at the Vetterman fly-in. Here we are at the base of Mt. Rushmore. The scale of the sculpture is amazing. Pictures or views of it on TV do not do it justice. If you get a chance to make it up to Mt. Rushmore it is well worth the trip.

Last edited:
Way to go Dave!

Congratulations on your nuptuals and for finding a gal who shares your passion! Second time around was the charm for me too. Best wishes for a wonderful life together!

Jeff congrats to you also, small world I also donated to the MDA and grew up in Midlothian and now up on the east coast.

Back