- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2018, 06:47 AM

Default Brake system question - pedal mounted reservoir

I've about decided I'd like to go with the pedal mounted reservoirs for the brakes on my RV-7. I have the dual brake (pilot/co-pilot) set up and my question is - do I need a reservoir for each pedal master cylinder (4 total), or can I get by with one per side (left brake, right brake - two total). The Grove pedal mounted reservoirs on ACS each hold 1.1 oz. of fluid. Seems it would be easy to put a reservoir on each of the co-pilot pedals and plumb the rest of the system per the plans. If four reservoirs are required, I would have to "T" the two sides together somewhere and not sure the best way to do that.

Two other (maybe silly) questions:
- I'm assuming fuel lube or EZ turn is appropriate for all the threaded connecitons (i.e. no teflon tape)?
- If both pilot and co-pilot are pressing on the brakes, is the pressure at the brake cylinder the sum of the two, some fraction of the sum, or just the pedal closest to the brake?

Thanks,
Old 07-18-2018, 07:30 AM

Iím currently flying a friendís RV-8 that has pedal mounted reservoirs. All the other RVs Iíve had use the stock single reservoir on the firewall.

While they work just like the firewall mounted reservoir, they are a royal pain to service. I would never put these in any RV.

For pipe thread connections, I use this or similar products: https://www.amazon.com/Loctite-48362...thread+sealant

Carl
Old 07-18-2018, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_F View Post
I'm assuming fuel lube or EZ turn is appropriate for all the threaded connecitons (i.e. no teflon tape)?
I can't answer your other questions but I used Loctite 545 Pneumatic/Hydraulic Thread Sealant on all my brake threaded fittings. No leaks so far.
Old 07-18-2018, 07:57 AM

Scott-- you 'can' put 2 reservoirs on the copilots side and plumb the rest per plans. Filling, bleeding and cleaning the probable mess will require a contortionist.

Tom
RV7 Tail Kit Completed, Fuse started-Pay as I go Plan
Ridgeland, SC
www.tsflightlines.com
Old 07-18-2018, 08:20 AM

Default Rv7 brakes

Bad idea
Servicing will be a nightmare over your lifetime

RV-6A N680V / RV-10QB N353RV
Luscombe 8E N2423K 49 years
Hatz Biplane N2423Z soon to be birthed
Falcon RV Squadron Founder
KFFC Hanger D-30
Peachtree City, Ga
770 310-7169
EAA Technical Counselor #5142
EAA Flight Advisor #486336
ATP/CFI/A&P/DAR
Old 07-18-2018, 10:56 AM

My buddy's -8 has them on the pedals, and he hates them. As others noted, a royal PITA to service.

My -7A has the reservoir in the stock location (and I got one of the clear jobbies from somewhere, so it's easy to inspect). Wouldn't do it any other way. Simple, easy to maintain, and it works.
Old 07-18-2018, 11:40 AM

Hmm.. I also have mounted the pedal mounted Reservoirs (RV-() but I am not yet finished with the plane. I assumed it should be quite easy to service them if I take out the baggage shelf? Is it still such a pain to do? I a lucky enough that i still have the ability to change...
RV-8 QB #83458 in Progress
Aerosport IO-360, Catto 3 blade, G3X Touch
HB-YUA reserved
Donation 2018 done
Old 07-18-2018, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YvesCH View Post
Hmm.. I also have mounted the pedal mounted Reservoirs (RV-() but I am not yet finished with the plane. I assumed it should be quite easy to service them if I take out the baggage shelf? Is it still such a pain to do? I a lucky enough that i still have the ability to change...
Taking the forward shelf out is the only way to service these reservoirs. Keep in mind that taking the shelf out is not as easy as it seems now while building.

Carl
Old 07-18-2018, 01:44 PM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Froehlich View Post
Iím currently flying a friendís RV-8 that has pedal mounted reservoirs. All the other RVs Iíve had use the stock single reservoir on the firewall.

While they work just like the firewall mounted reservoir, they are a royal pain to service. I would never put these in any RV.

For pipe thread connections, I use this or similar products: https://www.amazon.com/Loctite-48362...thread+sealant

Carl
Hmmmm. I must be doing it wrong then. I have pedal mounted reservoirs on all four of our airplanes, and never have to do anything at the reservoirs. I have the sintered bras caps to allow air in and out, and pump brake fluid up from teh bottom. Air exits through the sintered caps. Never end up with any spilled fluid, never have to crawl down to the reservoirs - easy.

Like I said, I must be doing it wrong....on four airplanes....for fifteen years or so....
RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)
http://Ironflight.com
Old 07-18-2018, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironflight View Post
Hmmmm. I must be doing it wrong then. I have pedal mounted reservoirs on all four of our airplanes, and never have to do anything at the reservoirs. I have the sintered bras caps to allow air in and out, and pump brake fluid up from teh bottom. Air exits through the sintered caps. Never end up with any spilled fluid, never have to crawl down to the reservoirs - easy.

Like I said, I must be doing it wrong....on four airplanes....for fifteen years or so....
This exactly. I had them in my -8, loved them, and never had the least difficulty in living with them. I'm absolutely going to put them on the -14A and wouldn't consider any other solution.

RV-8 N118KB (sold)
RV-14A #140494 (Fuselage underway)
N114KB (reserved)