VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 06-06-2018, 10:24 PM

Default Fuel Line Cleaning

Any body cleaned their fuel lines just before completion? I'm thinking there might be dust in the lines because I've working on this for 10 years and now almost done seems like I should blow out the fuel lines before running fuel thru them and thru the filter and pump. My fuel lines are all hooked up from engine thru aux pump, filter and out to the wings. Wings are not on yet.

Can I blow from the firewall back thru the aux pump and filter and out the wing connections? Or is the pump/filter a stop so that I need to clean them from there in both directions? I'm assuming air will blow thru the valve one side at a time. Right? Will blowing air thru this break something? Perhaps better question is will blowing air thru the lines do any good?
Ready for first start
Anacortes, WA
www.mykitlog.com/sglynn
Old 06-06-2018, 11:46 PM

I've had the same thought. My solution was to get everything hooked up, then run fresh gas from the tanks all the way though the AUX pump, then take the gas that come out and put it in my lawn mower. Thats my plan, but I havent done it yet.

Born to fly, forced to work
Old 06-07-2018, 12:48 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin8er View Post
I've had the same thought. My solution was to get everything hooked up, then run fresh gas from the tanks all the way though the AUX pump, then take the gas that come out and put it in my lawn mower. Thats my plan, but I havent done it yet.
And that can simply be part of the fuel flow test recommended by the FAA before first flight.
RV-6A N61GX - finally flying
Grumman Tiger N12GA - flying
La Cholla Airpark (57AZ) Tucson AZ
Old 06-07-2018, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin8er View Post
Have the 100LL go through the system with a cheap see thought filter before collecting in your multiple 5 gallon cans. Use the collected fuel to repeat if needed. If you have an inline filter, donít forget to remove, inspect and clean if needed when done.

As mentioned before, this is the time to do the fuel tank sender calibrations and fuel flow tests.

Carl
Old 06-07-2018, 09:23 AM

Default filter

If I run fuel thru from tank to engine will the Andair filter possible plug up if there is dust in the lines? Better to remove that for first couple of flushes I guess.
Ready for first start
Anacortes, WA
www.mykitlog.com/sglynn
Old 06-07-2018, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by az_gila View Post
And that can simply be part of the fuel flow test recommended by the FAA before first flight.
I couldn't agree more.

As a Technical Counselor, I'm amazed at the percentage of builders that I've talked with hadn't even considered doing fuel flow tests, even though its highly recommended. Unfortunately, I've had to document that conversation more than once of the Technical Counselor form.

Be sure to test normal ground attitude, level flight attitude, and a normal climb attitude. Depending where your third wheel is located, some of these may be the same or close to each other.

These test should flush any debris out of the fuel lines. Be sure to check the screen in your fuel filter right after the tests too. If you fail the test, you'll know that you have some blockage somewhere. While there may be one out there, I've yet to see a RV that didn't exceed the fuel flow requirements.
Old 06-07-2018, 06:36 PM

Were your hoses NOT capped off while sitting?

Tom
RV7 Tail Kit Completed, Fuse started-Pay as I go Plan
Ridgeland, SC
www.tsflightlines.com
Old 06-07-2018, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rleffler View Post
I couldn't agree more.

As a Technical Counselor, I'm amazed at the percentage of builders that I've talked with hadn't even considered doing fuel flow tests, even though its highly recommended. Unfortunately, I've had to document that conversation more than once of the Technical Counselor form.
What is the best method for the fuel flow test? Disconnect the fuel line from the Injection servo and run the pump and measure gallon per minute?

If that is the correct method, what are the numbers that we are looking for an IO-390? I am sure this got to be a lot more than what the engine can burn when is all connected and at full power.
Old 06-07-2018, 08:44 PM

I believe the fuel pump should be capable of providing 150% of max fuel flow at takeoff power, std. day seal level. For my IO-360 I figured max fuel flow to be 18gph (I'm showing about 16.5 gph on t/o). My Andair pump put out 35 gph during my fuel flow tests. If you figure 0.9-1.0 gph/ per 10 hp. you will be in the neighborhood.
RV7 #72018 N767T first flight 11/21/2017 150+ hrs.
IO-360M1B MT 3 blade, Dual AFS 5600.
1941 J3 Cub
2018 dues paid.
Old 06-07-2018, 09:27 PM

While building my plane (or later whenever removing and/or replacing a hose), just before assembling a hose into the airframe, I'd run a small wire through each tube/hose, and pull a solvent soaked swatch of cloth through. It was amazing how much crud would come out. I'd repeat this until the cloth came out clean. Then I'd blow them out and immediately assemble the hoses, and cap off any open ends which may exist. Blue masking tape from 3M works for this as it comes off without residue if one doesn't have a true cap.