What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wire route for tail position light

mill2978

Well Known Member
I've been trying to figure out how to run the wires from the tail to the rudder for the position light. I found a couple of threads but the images are no longer available.

Any suggestions or pictures of how you have done it?

Currently they are running through a gap in the aft most bulkhead by the longeron, I could RTV the wires in place but I'd much prefer a hole with a grommet or something along those lines.

Thanks

Aaron

You can put a grommet in the bottom of that aft-most bulkhead and then make a slot in the leading edge of the rudder bottom fairing to allow for rudder movement. Wire harness just lays in the bottom of the fairing. Leave enough slack to allow pulling the light fixture out enough to make the connection.

I put a small grommet just to the side of the vertical stab near the tail spring level.

There was room to squeeze it in without touching the vert stab nor skins.

You can put a grommet in the bottom of that aft-most bulkhead and then make a slot in the leading edge of the rudder bottom fairing to allow for rudder movement. Wire harness just lays in the bottom of the fairing. Leave enough slack to allow pulling the light fixture out enough to make the connection.

Exactly. :D

When running the wire from the fuselage to the rudder, run it vertically up on the fuselage and back down on the rudder. This will cause the wire to "twist" with rudder movement rather than "bend".
Bending the wire back and forth will shorten it's life.

Back