What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

flap motor wire

prkaye

Well Known Member
The wires coming off Vans Flap Motor appear to be solid (not stranded). Can I use my normal ring terminals on these? Anybody know what gauge of wire this is?

Phil,

My wires were stranded and I used blade connectors to make future maintenance easier. Good thing too as I've had the flap motor out two or three times since I started flying.

I put the male and and female connectors on the motor so I couldn't cross the wires during maintenance.

Ah, quite possibly... I'll have another look. What aboug gauge? How do I determine what gauge it is... just eyeball comparison with Tefzel of known gauge?

I just used 18 AWG and a 10 amp breaker as called for in Van's sample schematic. It has worked fine and never tripped.

Mine are tinned (soldered) too, that's to protect the stripped ends.

18 AWG here too, but I swear I read to use a 7.5 amp CB.

Phil,

My wires were stranded and I used blade connectors to make future maintenance easier. Good thing too as I've had the flap motor out two or three times since I started flying.

I put the male and and female connectors on the motor so I couldn't cross the wires during maintenance.

I used 18 AWG wire and a Molex style two pin power connector from Radio Shack. These are cheap and easy - same as Whelen strobe connectors - and are keyed to ensure correct polarity when reconnected during maintenance. It is connected through a 10A (?) breaker/switch per Van's suggested wiring diagram that came with my FWF kit.

Jim Sharkey

Van's flap motor wire size (RV8)

double checked..

RV8

0e795742-e226-4d0b-bb56-dcb031df960d_zps5aqkdn0g.jpg

185384eb-7699-4498-8500-2e0af8669998_zpsebqkex8m.jpg

1c5ccaf2-5e90-44a2-b812-a505ce5aa64f_zps3h6nn8nl.jpg

My OP-10 shows AWG 18 to the motor from the switch, but the circuit is protected by a 5 A fuse, which is my plan.

Flap motors draw a bit over 5 amps when heavily loaded. I used a 7.5 breaker and have had no problems. 22 AWG is fine for 7 amps, especially for a 1 foot wire. I think I used 20 gauge. 18 is overkill for a 10' run at 7 amps. Either way, size the breaker for rating of your wire, not your device.

22 is good for 12 feet at 5 amps and 8 feet for 7 amps, so if it only draws a little over 5 amps it should be no problem. i really thought they pulled more than that. been many years since i installed mine.

bob burns
Rv-4 N82RB

Back