What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Question about building/assembling your own engine

BrianNC

Well Known Member
I'm not an RV builder yet, but Marc Hudson's thread on just receiving his ECI engine to assemble made me curious about this.

When one builds their own engine, is part of the motivation knowing how the engine goes together so that you can do some/a lot/most of the engine work yourself and save even more money as opposed to having to use an A&P?

Also, would building the engine yourself give you enough knowledge to do your own overhaul?

Anything else related to wanting to assemble your own engine?

My thinking is since you have such knowledge from building your own airframe and being able to work on it yourself, do your own inspections, etc, that this would also translate over if you assembled your own engine also.

All of what you just mentioned is the reason and more. For me I have a lot more pride in the fact that I know that what's on the nose has been put there because I put it there one piece at a time.

I'm curious about this topic as well. Building the engine from a kit does not seem too complicated, and I'm sure it wouldn't be difficult to find an A&P to watch over the build and give it a final inspection. However, my concern is that the engine will go on the plane with zero time in a test cell. Does this add a significant amount of complications to the run in/break in process? How much can you do on the ground without overheating the engine?

Considering others ...

When I was finally ready for an engine, the kits had just been introduced. A buddy (Danny King) offered to fly up and help me assemble an engine over a weekend. Sure sounded good to me, considering the points already mentioned. Save some bucks and learn how it all works.

I called my wife and proposed it to her. "Let me get this straight," she said, "Danny will fly up and the two of you will put the engine together while drinking beer, or we can pay somebody who does this for a living an extra $1500 to do it for you. Is that the deal?"

I replied, "Well, everything except the beer part."

"Do you ever expect me to ride in it?" she countered.

'Nuff said. I happily paid AeroSport Power to build the engine and will learn how it makes the propeller go 'round and 'round some other way. :D

I bought a disassembled O-320 and plan to build it myself with an A&P supervision. I've watched a couple videos, attended the Lycoming seminar, and I will also buy all the Lycoming manuals. We are going to run it on a test cell for several hours before putting it on the airplane. I think that will take a lot of the perceived risk out.

I did one of the two-day engine builds with Eagle Engines in Redding where I assembled my IO-360 under the supervision of someone who builds these things for a living. It was for me (someone who doesn't have a lot of engine experience) a great way to better understand how it all goes together. It also made me comfortable enough to pull it apart and fix something if necessary. Would I completely rebuild it - probably not, but having this background makes me (and my wife, who participated in the engine build!) better understand how all this stuff works.

greg

I called my wife and proposed it to her. "Let me get this straight," she said, "Danny will fly up and the two of you will put the engine together while drinking beer, or we can pay somebody who does this for a living an extra $1500 to do it for you. Is that the deal?"

"Do you ever expect me to ride in it?" she countered.

'Nuff said. I happily paid AeroSport Power to build the engine...

Now that's funny and very familiar; almost a word for word copy of my wife and I discussing me and a buddy building our engines. So, I paid a local engine shop 1500 bucks to assemble it and it was worth every penny.

Okay, I just put my ECI kit together here's my experience.

I am an A&P and 20 years ago I put an engine together in A&P school. Truth is, that's about the level of experience most A&P's have with the bottom end of a Lycoming. Most of my A&P experience is with jets. I felt confident putting the engine together myself.

Right away and right out of the box, I had my first problems. NO PAINT, ugh!! There's nothing I hate more in life than painting. Okay no big deal I'll paint it up. Uh, which type, do you prime, etc. I got some high temp primer from Auto/Aviation Zone. It went on great. (i should have stopped there). I primed the bosses under the bolt heads with the idea that I would then mask them so that I didn't top coat them (it can affect torque). Uh, guess what I forgot to do.

I ordered some Plasti-cote paint (couldn't find it locally). The Lyc manual says to "use one coat" Yeah right. Engine paint flows and covers like water. It took 2 coats just to make it non-transparent. Then of course, I ran out so I went and bought some Rustoluem that I could find locally. Of course the color what different, but I painted it anyway. Then I realized I painted the bold head bosses. arghh!! Not a big deal, but I had to remove all that. In the end, my paint job is a 2 out of 5. (there's no chance I am painting my own plane)

Okay, so then the next challenge. The Lycoming manual is 30 years old and many part numbers have been super-ceded. Thanks to Radomir, I was able to figure out that the cylinder valve spring lower retainers are the same (previously different part numbers). The cylinder's don't come with the valves installed. The guides are there, but you have to install the valves and springs. That went okay, kind of a pain, but not a big deal. At least I thought.

Here's where the fun began, I started on the bottom end. Marked my main bearing with a pencil line to make sure that it was clocked right when you join the cases. No problem right, friggen disaster strikes. I put the cases together, hand tighten the bolts, the crank wont turn, what. Pull it apart, the bearing moved just a fraction, but just enough to put a mark on it from the oil pins. *&%%$. So now its 2pm, my case is all set to go together, sealant applied, oiled, lubed. Oh and a bad bearing. I call Poplar Grove Airmotive, yeah they have one in stock. $111. 75 miles later I arrive there only to find out that they come as a set so yep $111 magically becomes $222.

Well the engines together now. And I am glad for that. Would I do it again YES! Only because I just did it. If I know what a pain it would be, uh NO!

As far as the chemicals you need, good luck! Lycoming manual says "use the oil from an eel from the kyabunga river" "or equivalent" Talk to 2 engine mechanics and you'll get 6 opinions. A photo of what I used is in my build log.

Make sure you get the Superior Overhaul Manual. It's great. I think I got that the day after I finished.

The good thing now is that, I will have no problem overhauling the engine. Any I will also be able to "zero" time it (re-manufacture it).

Last edited:
I'd do it again

Building the ECi engine was one of the easiest and most fun parts in the 13 years I spent building my RV-6a. I now have 60 hrs on the airplane and have had zero trouble on the engine. I am not an A&P, but feel pretty confident doing any kind of work on my autos. I spent quite a bit of time researching and developing instructions on assembly to complement the overhaul and parts manual, as I couldn't find anything as complete as I wanted or with up-to-date sealant/lubricants listed. You can see my earlier posting at the link below.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=18419&highlight=eci+kit+engine+assembly

"use the oil from an eel from the kyabunga river"
I bought up the last of this and have cornered the market. If you need it you'll have to see me. I also have the food grade anti-seize, but only in chocolate flavor (low fat).

"use the oil from an eel from the kyabunga river"
I bought up the last of this and have cornered the market. If you need it you'll have to see me. I also have the food grade anti-seize, but only in chocolate flavor (low fat).

Low fat anti-seize.....well you know that one's no good! :D

Don McNamara wrote:
("I called my wife and proposed it to her. "Let me get this straight," she said, "Danny will fly up and the two of you will put the engine together while drinking beer, or we can pay somebody who does this for a living an extra $1500 to do it for you. Is that the deal?"

"Do you ever expect me to ride in it?" she countered.")
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you tell her who bolted the wings on? He He!

I assembled my ECI engine 320 trouble-free hours ago. I'm not an A&P but have had some prior engine experience. The main difficulty was that there isn't just ONE source of the needed info. I had the Lyc OH manual, somebody's pdf documenting their Superior build session, the local airport engine wizard and the ECI part numbers list.
You'll need to beg, borrow or steal some not so common tools like an engine stand and a valve spring compressor. I got most of my chemicals and paint at the NAPA store. Use a 1-2 and a 2-3 micrometer (and masters) to verify the crank journal ODs. A piston ring compressor is handy but not reqd if you're careful.
Document the following dimensions as you assemble your engine: ring gap, valve stem clearances, crank fore-aft distance at the thrust face.
Have fun.

Don McNamara wrote:
("I called my wife and proposed it to her. "Let me get this straight," she said, "Danny will fly up and the two of you will put the engine together while drinking beer, or we can pay somebody who does this for a living an extra $1500 to do it for you. Is that the deal?"

"Do you ever expect me to ride in it?" she countered.")
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you tell her who bolted the wings on? He He!

What? You're supposed to BOLT the wings on? Hmmm ... I'll get back to you ... :D

What? You're supposed to BOLT the wings on? Hmmm ... I'll get back to you ... :D

Wait, is that just like the screws-versus-Sikaflex thing on the canopy? I've got some Liquid Nail adhesive in the shop somewhere, that's good stuf...:eek:

Back