What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How much building can you do on a RV-10 in a 'standard' two car garage?

BrianNC

Well Known Member
I have what would be considered I assume a 'standard' two car garage. Fits two cars with not a lot of space left on either side. How complete can you get the RV10 in a garage that size? And what is some of your experience as to how far you got and then at what point of the build and what you did with it (hangar? someone else have more space to for you to build somewhere?) when you got as much built as possible in a two car garage?

I built mine in a three car garage, but only used two of the slots....my wife would not give up hers.....

in hind site I wish I would have done more in the garage because once I moved it to the airport I had less time work on it. I did every thing up to putting on the landing gear and firewall forward. I did not finish the fiberglass until later and that is what I wish I would have done sooner at home. I was really cramped for space until I moved the wings to a hanger for storage. If you had someplace to store parts when you were not working on them, then I think you can do almost everything in the two care garage.

I'm building an RV-10 in a two-car garage now. Empennage kit is easy, and when we were done with it, we hung everything except the tailcone from the walls and ceiling. We then got both the fuselage and wing QB kits. The fuselage took up one "car spot" and the wings (in the cradle) took another. Because we worked on the wings first, we stored the tailcone on the fuselage, so there was plenty of room.

Now we're working on the fuselage, so the tailcone is on the floor next to the wings. We've been able to do a lot of work on the fuselage without attaching the tailcone, but we're now at the point where it needs to be attached. That means the wings are coming into the house (with much thanks to the wife), and the fuselage/tailcone combo will stretch from one corner of the garage to the opposite corner. This should give us just enough room to hang the engine/prop eventually.

My garage may be slightly bigger than a standard two-car garage, but I guess I don't know what the "standard" is. Definitely measure your garage and check out this page:
http://www.myrv10.com/tips/workarea.html

-Rob

Brian,

One of our chapter members built his -10 in a two car garage.

He was able to store the wings and tail parts in his basement while working on the fuselage but all the building was done in his garage.

Brian,

One of our chapter members built his -10 in a two car garage.

He was able to store the wings and tail parts in his basement while working on the fuselage but all the building was done in his garage.

I need to go ahead and join up and get down there and meet you fellas.

The entire plane can easily be built in a 2 car garage, in fact if you can store completed parts someplace besides the garage you could get by with a single car garage area until time to mate the tailcone to the fuselage. Key to making this work is storage of completed assemblies someplace else until you actually need them. The empennage parts can be hung from the ceiling but the tailcone is too large for standard height garage ceiling to do that. It also won't quite fit through a standard 36" door (I tried this). You won't need access to the tailcone until after a fair amount of the cabin is built and it's bulky (don't remember exactly but something like 38" x 40" and about 8 feet long). Next thing you'll build are the wings. Again - find someplace where you can store them. They're over 12 feet long without the tips and you won't need them until the fuselage is complete.

The first time I actually mated the wings was at the airport. I did some planning and it was only about 4 weeks from when I moved the fuselage to the airport until first flight.

Bob
RV-10 N442PM (flying)

I'm building in a two car garage. Sometimes I do have to do a little creative pre-planning to get certain tasks done. (i.e. etching, alodining, and priming during the winter months). Occasionally, I do have to re-arrange things to get them to fit. WIth the canopy in the garage it's a little tight on space. Once I finish the fuselage, mount the tail cone, and fit the canopy, space should free up again. Like Bob Condrey said, it's doable, you just have to plan well. Although there are days I wished I had a three car garage.

bob

I'am building in a 3 car garage, however, my wife's car is in the single bay. I as storing my wings in the garage, and I have placed the airplane at a 45deg angle, with plenty of work around space. I have the canopy on, windows in, and engine installed. I think I will run into a problem if I try to install the propeller, but everything else has been a snap.

Building a RV 10 in a Two Car Garage

I'm building mine in a two car garage and so far I've only had to use 1 stall. I measured it all out before I started and I shouldn't have to use the 2nd stall until I attach Fuse to the tailcone, which should fit diagonally. I also have two work benches, one is 12' and the other is 8'. There is still room for a paint booth,compressor,band saw and drill press. So I think if it is laid out correctly you should be able to do everything except attach wings.

Steve Stella
waiting on wings

I did my initial build in one bay of a two card garage and it was more than adequate. Insulate the garage for those winter build months. If your garage is significantly deep enough, 25 feet or greater, you will be able to build a significant amount in the garage before you have to move to the airport. You may have to leave the main gear off however since the thread is slightly greater than the 8 ft. standard garage width. The more you can do at home the better your progress will be. The egress to my build area is only 80 inches so this is my solution.

Part of a 2-car

I built a cradle for the fuselage, roughly 4x8 feet, 2 feet high and have the tailcone and firewall-aft section together, tail in the corner and a bit diagonal. It will all depend on the depth of the garage, but I will need to go to a hangar to hang the engine and get it on gear as I am not allowed to take over more of the other half of the garage (worktable already encroaching).

http://websites.expercraft/douglasn

Back