What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rivet guns

GhostRider32

I like the above suggestion. And that's correct - the same pressure for both.

Consider ditching the kits. Get the rivet sets that you actually need and one of the tungsten bucking bars with a slightly angled head. Add a back-riveting set and a back riveting plate and you'll be good to go.

Download and read the riveting spec on Van's Aircraft site. It notes that a flat rivet set can be used on universal-head rivets, but you have to watch to maintain the minimum head height. I've found that it takes a bit of care to get a good shop head and a good factory head, all in the tolerances, but it's doable. Eliminates smileys.

I like my ACAT rivet gun from The Yardstore. If I remember right, it's a 2X gun, and I also have a 3X borrowed rivet gun that's good for the -4 rivets.

Dave

Dave

I bought the 777 red box kit from the yard store. Having the selection of anvils and sets has come in handy. I doubt I'll use anything but the 3/32" and 1/8" sets though. The quick-change spring that came with the kit didn't work but they replaced it. The "no mar" head that comes with it doesn't work very well. It's too easy to set a -3 rivet proud. I ended up taking the rubber off of it and applying a bit of tape around the edges. I may shave the rubber down a bit to make it work.

A double offset set is definitely needed. I managed to just barely eek a couple of rivets without it but I'll be buying a couple.

And +1 on the tungsten bar. I bought mine off of ebay. I use it whenever possible.

I'll give another option for the gun setup: throw away the restrictor that comes with the gun and use an inline regulator. That way you always have shop air ready for things that need it (drill gun, cleco tool) but don't have to worry about pounding a hole in the skin when you forget to readjust. Alternatively, get a manifold and run a separate, lower pressure line for riveting.

luuSseK.jpg

I haven't had any issues setting -3 or -4 rivets with the 3x. I just turn the gun down about 5psi. Even at the higher psi on a -3 you get enough warning that the part won't get ruined.

I have built 2 planes with a 4X gun and find it easy to adjust for the task. I have a simple regulator (no guage, just a graduated dial). I don't see a need for buying two different guns - a 3X will be fine. That said, I have learned to throttle the gun's power via the trigger.

We built my dad's -6 (except the spar rivets) and I did most of my -7 with the same 3X that he picked up used somewhere. However my wife found the 3X was a little tricky to control, so we picked up a 2X for the 3/32 rivets. It works fine for her, even setting the occasional AD4. So, I'd say the 3X is the way to go, and a 2X as well if you have the money.

I use a swivel flush set with rubber for almost all of the flush rivets. A no-rubber swivel set does most of the rest.

Back