What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mute Button for GTN-650

Mark Dickens

Well Known Member
Patron
Since I know just enough about electronics to be a hazard, I need some help from the avionics gurus. I want to install a mute button for the comm radio output from my 650. If I used a DPST switch for this, I'd need to shunt the audio into a resistor to provide a load, right? The GTN-650 installation manual says that it supplies 100mw into a 500 ohm load. So, I'm thinking that bridging a resistor with those specs across one pole of the mute switch would work? Am I even close?

Since I know just enough about electronics to be a hazard, I need some help from the avionics gurus. I want to install a mute button for the comm radio output from my 650. If I used a DPST switch for this, I'd need to shunt the audio into a resistor to provide a load, right? The GTN-650 installation manual says that it supplies 100mw into a 500 ohm load. So, I'm thinking that bridging a resistor with those specs across one pole of the mute switch would work? Am I even close?

You can just open the circuit, no harm done (same as pulling the headset plug.

You can just open the circuit, no harm done (same as pulling the headset plug.

Even better! Thanks! Somewhere in the dusty dark corners of my brain, I thought I remembered that the output had to go into a load...

Back