What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hard to reach places...

Ok...so, I'm a long armed fool, but have some Popeye arms, so there are a few places that are ridiculously difficult to reach. Currently, I am working on putting the nose ribs in the HS. I've wrapped my tungsten bar with a towel, but still had an issue with the edge slipping and making contact with the skin while riveting, ending up with a small crease in the skin which has not broken through. Had the same issue with the middle nose rib on the VS, nothing broken through, but a couple small creases. If the skin itself is not broken, my thought is that it's still sound (I have to deal with those small dents in the MD-80s that I fly). It's getting to the point that there's no way I'll get this thing built because I keep having to order skins...thoughts?

Build on

Unless the dents are huge or break through, build on. Some of the smaller ones can be "fixed" by placing the bucking bar behind the dent and using a plastic mallet to gently massage the dent flat.

Believe me, there will be more "oops" moments! The hardest part is where to draw the line on what is acceptable. If it concerns you, call the mothership and send them a picture, they will help you decide.

No-one has built a perfect plane yet, I don't expect it to happen any time soon...

I asked this same question of this Forum after I had a series of confidence busting skin dings but without pictures of having someone look at my stuff, I never felt like I had a firm grip on what they meant. I always thought, "but mine FEELS like it looks worse..." So I took recommendations and emailed pictures to Van's. They are extremely thorough and give great advice. They not only look at the exact picture, but in reference to its location on the aircraft as well. I'm guessing given your flight experience that there are parts of the plane that you'd be less enthusiastic about having various sizes of imperfections in. All that aside, here are two pictures as examples of what "passed" and what was reordered.

img_0892.jpg

This first link is of a skin crack on one of my elevator skins. Pretty obvious one here. Rebuild.

img_0587.jpg

This guy here is on a rudder skin. The camera angle makes it a bit darker than it looks (while also making my skin look scuffed... time for a better camera), but it is still just a crease with no skin breaks. I was able to flatten it out a bit and was told by Van's to build on.

Again, all that said, I just wanted to help with a few data points. I'm certainly not going to say yes or no, heck, I'm just one part in front of you on the elevators but figured I'd throw a couple pictures out there just in case it helped in the slightest. Happy building.

I asked this same question of this Forum after I had a series of confidence busting skin dings but without pictures of having someone look at my stuff, I never felt like I had a firm grip on what they meant. I always thought, "but mine FEELS like it looks worse..." So I took recommendations and emailed pictures to Van's. They are extremely thorough and give great advice. They not only look at the exact picture, but in reference to its location on the aircraft as well. I'm guessing given your flight experience that there are parts of the plane that you'd be less enthusiastic about having various sizes of imperfections in. All that aside, here are two pictures as examples of what "passed" and what was reordered.

img_0892.jpg

This first link is of a skin crack on one of my elevator skins. Pretty obvious one here. Rebuild.

img_0587.jpg

This guy here is on a rudder skin. The camera angle makes it a bit darker than it looks (while also making my skin look scuffed... time for a better camera), but it is still just a crease with no skin breaks. I was able to flatten it out a bit and was told by Van's to build on.

Again, all that said, I just wanted to help with a few data points. I'm certainly not going to say yes or no, heck, I'm just one part in front of you on the elevators but figured I'd throw a couple pictures out there just in case it helped in the slightest. Happy building.

About the same for mine. The second example, that is. Ended up stuffing paper towels between the gap of the nose rib and the skin so I could lay the bar on it, tip of the bar only touching the rivet. Came out fairly well...

Still...amazing how a millimeter shift can cause such stress!

Wait until you have to reach between the inner and outer side skins on the fuselage.

I'll give you the same advice that Van's Tech Support (I believe it was Ken) gave me very early on in my build. I went through some similar issues as you are.

"You need to get over your OCD quickly or you're never going to finish the plane."

I'll give you the same advice that Van's Tech Support (I believe it was Ken) gave me very early on in my build. I went through some similar issues as you are.

"You need to get over your OCD quickly or you're never going to finish the plane."
One of the excuses I use to explain why I've been building for almost 15 years! Now, it's "get 'er done!"

Back