What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RVs for sale

N162RV

A recent post made to a list indicates that these things sell pretty fast.

HTML:
After posting a recent For Sale ad on the SoCAL and RV-List, it took only 
hours before I was contacted.
He goes on to tell that the guy came out, went over the aircraft and it was a done deal. What has been some others experience selling or buying an RV? I am looking to sell mine in the near future and would like to get an idea of what to expect.

Yes they can sell that fast. My friend recently sold his RV. 13 contacts in the 1st week, many willing to send the money before even seeing the aircraft. He wouldn't sell it without showing it and having an independant inspection done...1st contact bought it for the asking price.

The secret is: Have a clean, well built RV. Be honest in your representation. Good pics help. AND be realistic in pricing. You'll have people knocking down your door.

The part he might not told you is the $9000 price reduction from the original price moving the asking price into the bargain range.. My impression was he needed the cash quickly and knew he had to pay a price for it.

And the right price is an important part of course. There are RV's that has been advertised "forever" just because the owner might value the aircraft a bit high.

Also bad or original details might make people less interested, I know of two airplanes, one with a subaru engine (70-100 contacts and several months before an actual buyer) and one with a real ugly panel (been advertised forever with no takers so far after more then a year). Both have/had really good asking prices and are/was really good airplanes.

But, as always, it only takes one buyer...

I have posted 3 aircraft for sale ads here in the classified section.2 RVs and an F1.

On each within the 1st 6 hours they had over 400 views on the website they are posted on and within a week each had over 20 phone inquiries.

All 3 have asking prices a good bit above what the market would dictate and so have not yet sold. All 3 however do have several people actually coming and looking at them. I ahve no doubt that priced a bit less they would have sold in days if not hours.

And that is just form VAFclassifieds.

Different perspective...

Here's a perspective from a potential buyer..
I've been in the market for a RV-6(a)...
(The 'a' is optional as I am still on the tail-dragger fence)

Over the last 3 months, I've monitored many classified websites learning ,more about the market trend. I already have the cash to spend however, the company I'm waiting for is divesting my business group to a Candian buyer. In other words, I'm sitting on the cash until my job is announced. (just to be safe) Assuming my job remains, I should be purchasing a RV within 90 days. (Just in time for Summer !!)

From this humble buyer's perspective, what do I look for in a potential plane.
1).. Ad MUST either have PICs (or a hyperlink to PICs), otherwise I skip on by it. A picture speaks a thousand words, and once interested, I'll dig into the specs.
2).. Ad must have a price. If the seller doesn't have at least an advertizible asking price, then he is probably speculating. (typically over market value)
3).. Ad must contain enough equipment/history information to represent what the plane's condition truely is.
4).. If the Ad has 'selling for medical reasons' or, 'Osh winner', I skip on by. Let's be honest, people buying planes are looking for a good plane, at a good price. The plane's condition/value should sell itself. No need for a car salesmen pitch.

Over the last 3 months, I found (and viewed) 3 RVs that were advertised.
I was upfront with the buyers and told them I was just looking (at least for a few months). And, in the event they had not sold when my job gets confirmed, I would re-contact them. Each understood, and was very polite as I visually inspected their planes. Since then, each has sold. (each for less than they advertised). In one case, it sold for MUCH less than what I considered a fair price for his plane. His reply was "I decided to drop the price until it sold". (wish he'd waited a couple more months.. :) )
Anyway, there a TONS of RVs out there for sale. And each has a buyer if it is advertised and priced reasonably.
(at least, that's my perspective)
Almost time for some transition training for this soon to be VAN-iac.. ;)

aelkins said:
4).. If the Ad has 'selling for medical reasons' or, 'Osh winner', I skip on by. Let's be honest, people buying planes are looking for a good plane, at a good price. The plane's condition/value should sell itself. No need for a car salesmen pitch.
That seems a little extreme IMHO. If I was selling an Osh winner (and my plane is, not built by me) I'd surely include it in the advertisement. I would think that would give the buyer some idea as to the quality of the build.

From what I've seen (after shopping for a year before landing on my 6A) there is a LOT of junk out there. You have to do a lot of digging and be patient if you want a nice example. Quality planes priced right sell almost immediately, and you'd better be ready to jump if you happen to come across one.

Its all in the price. I've sold three airplanes in the past. The key is pricing it right based upon the competition and the marketplace, same as anything else.

N395V said:
I have posted 3 aircraft for sale ads here in the classified section.2 RVs and an F1.

All 3 have asking prices a good bit above what the market would dictate and so have not yet sold.
Don't sell yourself short, that F1 looks very well priced. Not a steal but I wouldn't say it is a "good bit above the market". The only issue I see with your F1 is that even an exceptional aircraft like yours, in that price range, has a limited market. If I could afford it I would have contacted you a long time ago. As it is, I just enjoy looking at the pictures from time to time. Nice aircraft.

Greg

has a limited market

I definately agree. Jst glad I do not have tofire sale it. It is hard enough to imagine someone else caressing the controls but having to give it away would be unbearable.

Milt's Rocket is UNDER-priced if you ask me. You couldn't touch mine for that price, that's for sure. I have that much in it in parts alone!

I think your F1 is a steal and someone will scoop it up. There's just a more limited number of buyers out there the more the numbers climb.

A bit harsh

aelkins said:

A bit harsh. I'm with Craig on this one. If the plane was an Oshkosh winner that's VERY relevant information for a buyer. That says something.

Also I think one of the first questions a seller gets asked by a prospective buyer (be it car or plane) is: "Why are you selling". And seeing there is no more legitimate reason than losing a medical I think that's very relevant information also.

Back