What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

O&VO-360 SER - what kind of engine is this?

Most likely Ser short for Series. Yes, it would be carb'ed. It would be IVO for injected.

Last edited:
The O actually means Horizontally Opposed, relating the the cylinder configuration. Other options are V-####, for V engines like V-1650, or R-### for Radial engines. So VO-### means "vertically mounted opposed". Carburetors are assumed unless an "I" specifies fuel injection.

Of course a manufacturer can name an engine anything he wants. The WAM-120 is example of this, as it's not called the TI?-### for Turbocharged, fuel Injected, and I don't know what nomenclature they use for inline. Inline engines are typically European where they don't follow this convention.

......Inline engines are typically European where they don't follow this convention.

...and Lycoming didn't have their naming convention in place when they produced straight-8 engines for some of the exotic cars of the 30's, such as the Cord.
Cord owned Lycoming at the time...

For example, an O-360 series would of include the -A1A, -A2A, A1B, -A4M, etc. There are different variations in the same series.

For example, an O-360 series would of include the -A1A, -A2A, A1B, -A4M, etc. There are different variations in the same series.

But I've seen:

O & V 360 SER many times and in many different venues and they never specify whether it's an A or B or C or D. Which series are they referring to?

Or are you saying that V is a series? as in
"O-320 V1..."

I'm only assuming that is the case, as I have seen that format for the other series.

Exact type unknown...

Are there any source except directly from Lycoming to know the exact type of the engine based on the case number? I have a 360 on which the only information that I could find is L-8959-51A.

Engine

The -51 is a series, doesn't tell you much. The A denotes wide deck, Lycoming terminology "wide cylinder flange". Lack of the A denotes old narrow deck engine.

Back