What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How long does it take to get a Repairman's Certificate in the mail?

ArVeeNiner

Well Known Member
How long does it take to get a Repairman's Certificate? My FSDO supposedly submitted mine to OK City back in June. I have my temp from the FSDO but how long does the real deal take? Three months should be adequate right?

Once OKC accepts the FSDO's paperwork, it should be fast....but my latest one had to go back and forth between the FSDO and OKC three times because the FSDO guy kept filling out the form incorrectly. Each time, I had to go to the FSDO and sign the latest copy of the form....

I'd call your FSDO if it was back in June!

DAR sent in Repairman cert. paperwork when my 7 was licensed.Received plastic back in less then 3 weeks.

call FSDO

How long does it take to get a Repairman's Certificate? My FSDO supposedly submitted mine to OK City back in June. I have my temp from the FSDO but how long does the real deal take? Three months should be adequate right?

Kelly - as you know, I used same FSDO inspector as you and just as point of reference, I had same problem....I called inspector back because my temp was expiring soon and asked him to check on it. The answer after he got back to me later (or I called him back a few times; can't remember which) was it was "lost" in OKC. So I met him at FSDO where I gave him a new app, he gave me a new temp, and within a few weeks I had my permanent certificate.
So shorter answer - I'd give FSDO a call and ask for help in tracking it down or submitting a new application.

Chris

I have a sneaking suspicion that the application never left the FSDO office. The first of many contact attempts has been sent. I know the routine with this guy. The good news is I have a lot of time.

Thanks.

Hate to be negative, but

it took me over TWO YEARS to get my certificate! Worse yet, I didn't have a temporary in the meantime. Local FSDO kept screwing up the paperwork and OKC wouldn't accept anything but perfect. I finally found an advocate at OKC who stayed with it until we finally got the job done. My advice is to find and nurture a relationship with an OKC staffer who can help you thru the process. Sorry - I don't have her name. Oh, and keep good notes of who you called when and what they said!

Hope you do better...

The funny thing about the temporary certificate (I was issued one every time my FSDO guy had to re-fill-out the application) is that it is useless. The only thing you need the certificate for is to sign the maintenance records for the Condition Inspection, and you should sign it with your number - but the temporary doesn't HAVE your number, so it doesn't do you any good until you get the permanent...with your number!

My Dallas FAA guy who took the application said to call if I didn't get it in 90 days, which I did not. I called, and he said that the application had been lost at OK City and that he would resubmit. It sounded like one office blaming the other, so I never was sure where the process fell through. I then got my certificate in less than a week.

-John

I got it!

Just a quick update. I finally received my repairman's certificate!!! I found it in my PO Box earlier this week. It only took 7 months and three submissions. The first time he mispelled my name, the second one resulted in nothing, the third one worked.

I finally hooked back up with the FSDO last month (he's very hard to get a hold of and doesn't return calls or emails) and refilled out the paperwork. He said he had turned it in before and that it was probably lost by OKC. Hmmmmm.....moving along.....

What was weird about this summission was that one of the FSDO ladies noticed that I use a PO Box. I told her that I had submitted all the necessary paperwork with the FAA to use that box on my pilot certificate (they have my physical address). Nonetheless, she had me hand draw a map that showed the location of the PO Box in relation to my physical address. I thought that was kind of strange but hey, I guess it worked!

I finally got around to having my appointment with the Sacramento FSDO, last Tuesday. The experience was... interesting. But I have the temporary in hand. Fingers crossed...

Congratulations, Kelly, the last piece of the puzzle.

Met with the FAA on 12/7/12 and received my card in the mail 1/18/13 - 42 calendar days ( much less for working and holiday days) I would call and mention it has been more the x day's

2 weeks. Also of note, by DAR filled out the application and delivered it. I had nothing to do with the process. Other's disputed that it could be done this way but that is what happened.

Back