What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dual Battery mounts

randyintejas

Well Known Member
I know the PC680 can be mounted in any position but, has anyone experienced any problems mounting it on its side? I have the PC680 boxes from vans and want to mount both on the firewall and I was thinking it would be a lot easier to change them out if they were mounted with the tops facing the sides of the plane.
What say the great collective wisdom of VAF?

You will need to be carefull otherwise you may run into the engine mount before you can tilt the battery enough to get it to come out of the tray.

Just something to watch out for.

Having another ~15 lbs on the firewall should help with the empty CG.

"Having another ~15 lbs on the firewall should help with the empty CG"

Thanks Brantel, Got my Catto on order so, going to be light on the nose and I want 2 batteries anyway.

more advice welcome!

Last edited:
I have two 680s

mounted vertically on the firewall. If you position them carefully, there IS enough room to get them out of the vans battery boxes while still clearing the motor mounts.

I have the Hartzel BA prop, and my plane exceeds the Vans spec for a 7A nose wheel weight with me, full fuel, and no baggage. You should be fine with the Catto...

Last edited:
Battery boxes

I made my own battery box because I did not want to loose the space above the box for pulling the battery out. I made a box that has a removable front. I guess I did get carried away but ti is going to work out well. The 680 is supported well and all I have to do to remove the battery is remove the top clamp and pull 2 hinge pins. The front comes off and I can pull the battery out forward. I could make it lighter a second time by making the front smaller. I have pics at Flickr. Take a look. Maybe you could get in two if you had a smaller footprint that would give you more options on the firewall.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dwc-rv7a/

Dennis Conner
RV7A
Working firewall forward.

I made my own battery box because I did not want to loose the space above the box for pulling the battery out. I made a box that has a removable front. I guess I did get carried away but ti is going to work out well. The 680 is supported well and all I have to do to remove the battery is remove the top clamp and pull 2 hinge pins. The front comes off and I can pull the battery out forward. I could make it lighter a second time by making the front smaller. I have pics at Flickr. Take a look. Maybe you could get in two if you had a smaller footprint that would give you more options on the firewall.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dwc-rv7a/

Dennis Conner
RV7A
Working firewall forward.

Dennis,

How did this work out for you?

Also, how is the battery supported on the right side? I see the left side uses bolts to mount into the vertical angle that is behind the firewall, but can't tell what you did for the left side. Did you add angle behind that side and bolt it as well?

Thanks
Chris

I mounted a battery on my RV-7 firewall per the plans and mounted a backup battery opposite the recess, and slightly lower. Tried to send a photo but no luck.

Back